Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You do know he was injured when the season got underway... right?

It's pretty hard to be the #1 guy when you're dressed in a suit watching games from the press box. He had a major hip injury and when you're a butterfly goalie, hip injuries are almost career ending. It's not a coincidence that he hasn't registered a single win in a full calendar year.

Schneider missed 8 games to start the season. Lets not act like he missed half the season

Kinkaid was never going to be relied upon to be the surefire #1 so I am not really sure what you wanted them to do? Should they have signed another decent UFA goalie only to have to waive them 3 weeks into the year....?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Schneider missed 8 games to start the season. Lets not act like he missed half the season

Kinkaid was never going to be relied upon to be the surefire #1 so I am not really sure what you wanted them to do? Should they have signed another decent UFA goalie only to have to waive them 3 weeks into the year....?

I'm not saying that Kinkaid was our new #1 entering the 2018-19 season, I said that with Schneider's injury odds were that Kinkaid was going to get a big bulk of the games early on in the season and was a "safety net" if ever Cory got re-injured... and that's exactly what happened.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not saying that Kinkaid was our new #1 entering the 2018-19 season, I said that with Schneider's injury odds were that Kinkaid was going to get a big bulk of the games early on in the season and was a "safety net" if ever Cory got re-injured... and that's exactly what happened.

so please tell me what should have been done since you apparently know.

They should have signed a UFA goalie only to waive him 3 weeks into the season? Is that what you are proposing?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
so please tell me what should have been done since you apparently know.

They should have signed a UFA goalie only to waive him 3 weeks into the season? Is that what you are proposing?

I said that Shero hoped to get quality starts from Kinkaid and it didn't happen, so I don't know what you're trying to gain here. Did I say that he should've acquired Vasilevskiy during the offseason?

We were lucky last year and not so much this year, end of story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I said that Shero hoped to get quality starts from Kinkaid and it didn't happen, so I don't know what you're trying to gain here. Did I say that he should've acquired Vasilevskiy during the offseason?

We were lucky last year and not so much this year, end of story.

What I do know is that you should stop acting like a smart ass but I don't think Shero has enough amo for you to help you out.

He hoped that Kinkaid would hold the fort for the first few weeks of the year until Cory came back, and that Schneider would come back healthy and be able to be our #1. Kinkaid was pretty good to start the season (5-2-1 with a .925 SV% through the first 8 games), and then Schneider came back and was obviously not what we had hoped him to be.

For the third time, since you seem to know better, please tell me what Shero should have done re: the goaltending this offseason.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He hoped that Kinkaid would hold the fort for the first few weeks of the year until Cory came back, and that Schneider would come back healthy and be able to be our #1. Kinkaid was pretty good to start the season (5-2-1 with a .925 SV% through the first 8 games), and then Schneider came back and was obviously not what we had hoped him to be.

For the third time, since you seem to know better, please tell me what Shero should have done re: the goaltending.

There was nothing Shero could do and I didn't blame him for doing nothing, so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I've been saying this for the past year and a half... Shero is more to blame then Hynes IMO. When you don't upgrade a mediocre defense and hope that Kinkaid will put up the same magical numbers he gave us last year in that 20 to 25 game stretch, there's really not much a head coach can do.

There was nothing Shero could do and I didn't blame him for doing nothing, so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

sure sounds like you were in your original post

anyways, not a big deal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Your post earlier in the thread said Shero was more to blame than Hynes because he didn’t upgrade the D and was ‘counting on KK to put up magical numbers again’, it’s fair to ascertain you were criticizing him going with the same goalies too by mentioning KK

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Your post earlier in the thread said Shero was more to blame than Hynes because he didn’t upgrade the D and was ‘counting on KK to put up magical numbers again’, it’s fair to ascertain you were criticizing him going with the same goalies.

I said that he should've upgraded our defense and banking on the magic Kinkaid gave us and a goalie who had a hip surgery during the offseason, was a gamble. With what Kinkaid gave us last year, Shero had no choice to stay status quo between the pipes and it didn't go our way, the end.

I would've called him out if Kinkaid posted the same #'s he's posting this year, last year, but that isn't the case.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I agree in the past the team style changed. The low event system two years ago stood out. I’m not sure they’ve adapted this season. When they play well it still looks like they are trying what worked at the beginning of last season and with no Hall and until last game no MarJo and a sprinkling of AHLers in the lineup maybe they should have gone back to low event rather than sticking with what wasn’t working for a good stretch earlier this season. Not sure how a qualified maybe statement about me not being sure about what is happening in the coach’s mind is ridiculous but clearly you are much smarter than me.

I said it was ridiculous because it was a blanket statement that I don’t think it was fair or true at all. Hynes has adapted to our roster multiple times over his tenure and even mid-season. There’s some stubborn coaches out there but Hynes is definitely not one of them.

I’ve questioned some of his tactics this year, but to be completely honest, I think the issues this year seem to revolve around individual and team lapses digging us into holes and the defense just not cutting it and being exposed too easily. We’ve had stretches of solid team play but we’ve been losing games in short periods of time when the team just slacks off and/or the goaltending just saps momentum.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I said it was ridiculous because it was a blanket statement that I don’t think it was fair or true at all. Hynes has adapted to our roster multiple times over his tenure and even mid-season. There’s some stubborn coaches out there but Hynes is definitely not one of them.

I’ve questioned some of his tactics this year, but to be completely honest, I think the issues this year seem to revolve around individual and team lapses digging us into holes and the defense just not cutting it and being exposed too easily. We’ve had stretches of solid team play but we’ve been losing games in short periods of time when the team just slacks off and/or the goaltending just saps momentum.

How is "I'm not sure" a blanket statement? Additionally, my observation was based on what "is and isn't working" which to me implies a recency element, as opposed to his entire tenure. If you are going to insult someone, you need to be fair about it. In my view, your insult wasn't warranted. I asked a question based on what I see right now. I am sure I could have been more clear but I'm also sure you could have given me the benefit of the doubt before ripping my opinion not once but twice.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I know that was the reason but how long are we going to experiment before they realize their coach needs to change. How many piss poor seasons can this fan base go through.
The Devils are currently playing with roughly $50 million of players. I am shocked we are not challenging Tampa with a roster this talented.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hynes isn’t perfect but this take is ridiculous. Devils have adapted multiple times under Hynes dependent on the roster.

Year 1, they played a tight, structured team game when we had a veteran roster and a solid positional goalie. They grinded out a lot of wins that way with a god awful roster.

Year 2, we added more skill to the forward group and Hynes attempted to try to push the tempo more. That completely backfired and it seems like internally the Devils realized they needed players with more pushback and we’re willing to work shift in and shift out. The roster was then changed massively for year 3.

This past season, we adapted multiple times throughout the year. If you couldn’t see how much the team changed throughout the year I don’t know what to tell you.

For one, we came out flying at first using our speed to score off the rush and to generate a lot of turnovers and chances that way. Once teams caught up and Vatanen was added, we tightened up around January and we’re playing a flawless team game for the most part. Relying less on attacking and more on playing structured defensively after Vatanen rounded out the defense.

Bahahahahahaha. Hynes adapted? When? When the team was already out of the playoffs back in Nov the week before thanksgiving?

Since the 16-17 season you've been saying you're okay with giving Hynes another year to see what he has. Lucked into the playoffs last year, and not because of his coaching, and fell flat on our faces yet again under his shit coaching. You'll keep touting the same BS with Hynes the next few seasons no doubt.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bahahahahahaha. Hynes adapted? When? When the team was already out of the playoffs back in Nov the week before thanksgiving?

Since the 16-17 season you've been saying you're okay with giving Hynes another year to see what he has. Lucked into the playoffs last year, and not because of his coaching, and fell flat on our faces yet again under his **** coaching. You'll keep touting the same BS with Hynes the next few seasons no doubt.

Lucked into the playoffs last year? Devils were playing a terrific team game from January onwards and were competitive in every game and ended last season with a very strong run. Part of that was playing structured and supporting each other very well in all three zones. Hall undoubtedly was carrying the load offensively, but the rest of the team was still playing solid hockey.

This season has been plagued more by individual mistakes and lapses and shitty goaltending. A lot of the latter. Compounding that issue is the defense frequently getting exposed. Our defenders get outmuscled or beaten to puck races far too often because it's constructed poorly. Until Shero addresses that, this team is just a mediocre bubble team with a solid forward group and exposable defense.

That's exactly where Hynes has them right now with almost every young player showing consistent improvement. He's doing what he's brought in to do, if he had a legitimate playoff roster and we had the same record, it would be a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylor Hall

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not Hynes fault he hasn't had a good goaltending situation (which he gets an A for the way he's handled and utlized and chose who to play) and now we have injuries and had to ice a pretty lousy lineup the last couple nights, but there's too many no-shows where the team looks like they couldn't care less about being out there. Not even the good players seemed to care tonight.

There's been about 11 or 12 of these games already and the last two games certainly looked like that. Tonight's game looked like the 2003 Devils playing the worst team in the league (don't even remember who it was that year) that year.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It’s funny that he got close to zero credit for bringing a team that everyone saw finishing dead last in the East, in the playoffs last year... and now he’s getting most of the blame for our mediocre season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s funny that he got close to zero credit for bringing a team that everyone saw finishing dead last in the East, in the playoffs last year... and now he’s getting most of the blame for our mediocre season.

That is more to do with people predicting us to be dead last being way off the mark then anything Hynes did.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now see, this is where I go the other way.

I gave him hardly any credit for last year and because of that, I can't fault him for this year.

It's a two way street. If you're gonna give him credit for last year, you can't absolve him of blame for this year. If you thought he did a GREAT job last year, then you really need to criticize him for this year.

I go the opposite way though. Don't give him hardly any credit for last year, and am being a little softer on him than the majority of this board this year.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No matter what you thought of last season, if you asked a random viewer if the team is well coached - theyd say no

As is evident bu multiple broadcasters of other teams asking wtf is going on when they watch

Also the team lack any sort of effort

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No matter what you thought of last season, if you asked a random viewer if the team is well coached - theyd say no

As is evident bu multiple broadcasters of other teams asking wtf is going on when they watch

Also the team lack any sort of effort
I wouldn't really say the team was much better coached last year than now, but it does seem like less players may not be responding right now.

I was a very vocal critic of Hynes system last year and always thought he was suspect with X's and O's.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I wouldn't really say the team was much better coached last year than now, but it does seem like less players may not be responding right now.

I was a very vocal critic of Hynes system last year and always thought he was suspect with X's and O's.
He should be a developmental coach

Let Salvador be defensive coach, Elias offensive coach. Idk who for head coach

I can dream right? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad