Confirmed with Link: Hynes gets multi-year extension

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by NJDevs26, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Nubmer6

Nubmer6 We want... Information

I've always seen the most important aspect of a head coach to be a leader and motivator. I feel it's more important for the assistant coaches to be the X's and O's people, although, yes, the head coach is responsible for at least the direction of the ship. I like Hynes as a leader and motivator, but I do wonder if he's beginning to be tuned out by the players though. I've grown to hate Nasreddine.

2. Oneiro

Oneiro Registered User

If I have to give Hynes credit for one thing, I think he and Shero have been good at getting certain guys to augment their game over the summer. Hall, Zajac and a few others have made strides in certain aspects that I don't think were completely self-propelled.

Some things about the game have changed and I'm glad skating and making skill plays in transition are points of emphasis. But I don't think playing a higher risk style means basic habits about board play, angles and stick checking go out the window - these are time proven aspects of the game regardless of how quickly you want to turn the puck around going the other way. And thus far, Hynes sucks at teaching them.

I mean, players of all experience levels are making very poor reads - Zacha's turnovers that ended up in the net these past two games are textbook Hynes system self-owns. Going up the middle of the ice from your own zone shouldn't be a 50/50 coin flip if you believe what you're teaching. Forcing something and hoping the probabilities work in your favor is a **** game plan and the results are not exactly promising over the last four years.

Let's face it - these games are not important. The season is lost and the team is not a contender. Yet. This type of **** is fine because we have a lot of players who need to flex their skill and learn to play their games, warts and all, at the highest level.

But when the time comes and these young guys hit their prime, I'm not sure this system will take them to the promised land. You're basically hoping you can acquire enough talent in that time to out-skill your way to the cup, and hope is not a plan. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't, but the bigger thing is whether you see these young guys grow their understanding of NHL hockey. What does Wood do? Does Severson fully clean things up? Do Santini and Mueller make more plays?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    thethinglonger likes this.
  3. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

I am surprised he doesn’t have a good x and o consultant. Even if he wants his buddies as assistants why not add one more guy to the staff who is a true strategist? Maybe a bit of insecurity on Hynes’ part?

4. Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion Now we Plummet

Having defensemen just fire the puck up the ice so forwards tip or deflect it in the O zone is not a winning strategy

Our D should be rushing the puck up or making passes when having possession.

When not having clear possession I'm all for banging it out of the zone

5. StvBroDan

StvBroDan vPLAY WITH HEARTv

Shero rethink this dumb idea.

I Hate Tie DOMI and Rejan like this.
  6. Pavail Zachupov

Pavail Zachupov Shot assist champion...Binghampton bound

Damn you and this bump! I thought a trade was made when I saw the ‘confirmed with link’ title.

Bleedred likes this.
  7. Bleedred

Bleedred #freetheshootertutor

Carpenter
    I actually thought he was fired hahahaha.

Pavail Zachupov likes this.
  8. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 We suck again!

I thought Hynes got another extension for a nanosecond :sarcasm:

Bleedred and Pavail Zachupov like this.
  9. Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes Hynes is never wrong.

We couldn't get that lucky. We have a better chance of going on a 20 game win streak than him being fired, and the 20 game win streak is impossible.

10. Rejan

Rejan Registered User

I’m led to believe that ray hasn’t actually watched this team play hockey this season.... because anyone that has would probably agree, the extension is questionable

11. Bleedred

Carpenter
    By extending him, he's now taking full accountability for this mess.

So by keeping him for another however many years, now it's on him to upgrade the roster. So if he doesn't make significant upgrades, Andy Greene is still playing 21 minutes a night, Schneider is still playing here next year or he signs some trash pale like Mrazek after publicly shredding goaltending, on top of extending Hynes, then he really needs to be shredded more around here.

That should put him on the hot seat, if you want the god's honest truth, but I'm really getting ahead of myself here. Let's see what his offseason is, but it has to be a good one.

NJDevs26 likes this.
  12. Peter Sidorkiewicz

Peter Sidorkiewicz Devils Army

He should re-assign Hynes to coach the AHL team. Take his assistants down with them.

StvBroDan likes this.
  13. MadDevil

MadDevil Registered User

It's kind of standard operating procedure to extend a coach in his final year if you're not moving on from him that offseason, and I think last year pretty much secured his extension. I do hope though that Ray understands that he needs to get Hynes some help this summer if he's going to be staying.

14. Zippy316

Zippy316 aka Zippo

I'm willing to give Hynes another year. Like it or not, almost every young player has excelled under Hynes.

Only ones who really haven't are Zacha and Severson but they've also shown flashes of great play and both seem to dig their own graves at times. Big picture, I can't really complain with how he's handled either one either.

I'd like to see what he can do with an upgraded defense. Shero desperately needs to solidify the defense.

Taylor Hall likes this.
  15. StvBroDan

I know that was the reason but how long are we going to experiment before they realize their coach needs to change. How many piss poor seasons can this fan base go through.

16. Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut Nova Nation

they were in the playoffs literally 7 months ago

They were one of the more dominant teams in hockey for nearly 20 years. That doesn't last forever.

I agree that it sucks but lets not act like weren't spoiled for a long while

17. Bleedred

Carpenter
    He needs to do something with the defense and go into next year with a goalie tandem that isn't Schneidkaid, who has probably made Hynes look worse than he may be.

He's probably not good, but we don't really know how bad he is yet. Just like he wasn't as good as Schneider made him look in 15-16.

StvBroDan likes this.
  18. StvBroDan

they were in the playoffs literally 7 months ago
    I know where they were I too was there.

They were one of the more dominant teams in hockey for nearly 20 years. That doesn't last forever.
    Thanks for that info Dam I thought it did.

I agree that it sucks but lets not act like weren't spoiled for a long while
    This does not mean we need to go so many years going up and down. They need to find some Defense a little more Offence and most importantly solid Goalies.
    I know its easy to say what we need but a Coach GM and Owner need to get players that can progress every year.
    Last year they did not really improve our roster .

Sorry Bleed that's just about what you said. LOL

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 10:37 PM
  19. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

A good coach adapts his system to the players he has not the other way around. If the system isn’t working it’s either the system or the players. If it’s the players adapt the system. If the system itself it’s flawed try a completely different system. I’m not sure Hynes is being honest about the team’s flaws and what is and isn’t working for him.

20. Emperoreddy

Emperoreddy Show me what you got

Why I hated Pete. He is useless without his specific team.

21. Zippy316

Zippy316 aka Zippo

Hynes isn’t perfect but this take is ridiculous. Devils have adapted multiple times under Hynes dependent on the roster.

Year 1, they played a tight, structured team game when we had a veteran roster and a solid positional goalie. They grinded out a lot of wins that way with a god awful roster.

Year 2, we added more skill to the forward group and Hynes attempted to try to push the tempo more. That completely backfired and it seems like internally the Devils realized they needed players with more pushback and we’re willing to work shift in and shift out. The roster was then changed massively for year 3.

This past season, we adapted multiple times throughout the year. If you couldn’t see how much the team changed throughout the year I don’t know what to tell you.

For one, we came out flying at first using our speed to score off the rush and to generate a lot of turnovers and chances that way. Once teams caught up and Vatanen was added, we tightened up around January and we’re playing a flawless team game for the most part. Relying less on attacking and more on playing structured defensively after Vatanen rounded out the defense.

Taylor Hall likes this.
  22. My3Sons

My3Sons Registered User

I agree in the past the team style changed. The low event system two years ago stood out. I’m not sure they’ve adapted this season. When they play well it still looks like they are trying what worked at the beginning of last season and with no Hall and until last game no MarJo and a sprinkling of AHLers in the lineup maybe they should have gone back to low event rather than sticking with what wasn’t working for a good stretch earlier this season. Not sure how a qualified maybe statement about me not being sure about what is happening in the coach’s mind is ridiculous but clearly you are much smarter than me.

23. Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall Registered User

I've been saying this for the past year and a half... Shero is more to blame then Hynes IMO. When you don't upgrade a mediocre defense and hope that Kinkaid will put up the same magical numbers he gave us last year in that 20 to 25 game stretch, there's really not much a head coach can do.

24. Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut Nova Nation

you do know that Cory Schneider was supposed to be the #1

right?

25. Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall Registered User

You do know he was injured when the season got underway... right?

It's pretty hard to be the #1 guy when you're dressed in a suit watching games from the press box. He had a major hip injury and when you're a butterfly goalie, hip injuries are almost career ending. It's not a coincidence that he hasn't registered a single win in a full calendar year.