Post-Game Talk: Hyman the only Leaf to show up as Leafs lose 8-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Agreed. When we have a situation where Boston cloud chants Andersen’s name 2 years in a row in playoffs we should know that we don’t have a reliable goalie.

Remember people here hyped up Reimer same way and as soon as he moved from Toronto he is not even a good backup.

we need to make a move and try to bag Craig Anderson if we wanna have any success.
Isn't Craig Anderson like 47 years old?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Would have been great if he left out the "either". That word was a cop out.
what cop out ?

he was specifically asked about his teammates saying they hung him out to dry and that's why he included the word either

i have idea how you'd want him to answer that question differently

Reactions: definedMF

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
what cop out ?

he was specifically asked about his teammates saying they hung him out to dry and that's why he included the word either

i have idea how you'd want him to answer that question differently
I said so in the post you "read". Leave out the word "either".

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I said so in the post you "read". Leave out the word "either".
you keep ignoring the question asked was based on his teammates statements that they played poorly in front of everyone

it makes no sense to leave out the either

Reactions: definedMF

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I agree, this is exactly what separates the two.

Now what exactly separates Ben Harpur from Ceci? Other than Harpur making 725k for the year and Ceci making 4.5M. They're both on one year deals and they both will be UFAs this summer (I'm 99% certain the Leafs won't qualify Harpur's RFA rights).

If the Leafs were willing to waive Harpur they should be willing to do the same with Ceci. 1.075M would come off the books. In comparison, sending Marincin down only clears 700k and they're both equally as bad.

Ceci is <gulp> an asset with (some) value. I think due diligence for a month is a small price to pay to get something rather than nothing.

Harpur’s value (in the NHL) is as you’ve characterized , negligible.

Small potatoes it may be, but a 5th to 7th round pick is worth turning a few stones over for: Johnsson, Engvall, Hyman (FLA) and so on...

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
It's also deflating for the entire team when your starting goaltender can't make a good save in the early going.

I'm not letting the rest of the team off the hook, but Freddy could have realistically stopped 2-3 of those goals, and then the game would have had an entirely different complexion.

And if it wasn't 7-1, Florida would've kept playing hard instead of coasting for half of an already over game. Every team looks great when the other team stops playing.

In our case, though, we stop playing at the beginning of a game.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is the 2nd game where Hutchinson picks up the loss for Andersen's bad start. I'm not saying that Hutchinson played well, he didn't, but it's not fair that because the Leafs scored 4 goals it negates the loss for Andersen.
I saw 1 goal on Anderson that I thought was stoppable. Pulled too early IMO

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I agree that Hy was TO's best player in this game.

It's obvious TO needs to continue to rely on Andersen but as we can see that's not always there. When it's not there TO's next greatest asset is it's ability to score, only giving Matthews 3 minutes of icetime in the 3rd period seems a curious reaction. In the previous 2 periods his +/- was 0 and he had 6 shots on goal, the game might've seemed out of reach but with AM you never know.

Basically benching AM seemed to be Keefe's only option or the only option he exercised last night, why? In previous games he changed things up, TO started the game with JT/AM/MM and that line put some pressure on the Panthers but then after that 1st shift Keefe went to his standard lines. Florida scored and scored and scored, the standard lines weren't working and what I've liked about Keefe is his ability to change things up in the face of adversity. Except for the goalie change it felt we were watching a Babsian game, the same old same old in spite of the results. Is Keefe becoming smarter than the results as Babs was? Florida's top line of Huberdeau/Barkov/Dadonov easily had TO's number and Florida also has a very good 2nd line.

It's one thing to lament TO's obvious poor d game but we'll need Keefe to find a way to win in spite of it and that might have been made even tougher now that Rielly is out. I've been wondering, is a player that's been playing at 80% or 90% better that other options at 100%?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Ceci is <gulp> an asset with (some) value. I think due diligence for a month is a small price to pay to get something rather than nothing.

Harpur’s value (in the NHL) is as you’ve characterized , negligible.

Small potatoes it may be, but a 5th to 7th round pick is worth turning a few stones over for: Johnsson, Engvall, Hyman (FLA) and so on...
Hope you're right about that, I haven't wanted to get rid of a player this badly since Clarkson lol.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Games (rather, horrific efforts) like this could largely be avoided with some veteran leadership in the group. Tavares is one but he's surrounded by a lot of young 'uns so his influence likely is minimal.

Let's look at the ages of their current top 9 forwards:
Engvall: 24
Hyman: 28
Johnsson: 26
Kapanen: 24
Kerfoot: 26
Marner: 23
Matthews: 23
Nylander: 24
Tavares: 30

I'd prefer to see the young stars surrounded by a couple of guys that would take issue with a night out in Miami the evening before a big game. Guys with kids, who have learned responsibility, for example. I'm sure it's in the scouting reports of opponents, right? Good on the forecheck, wins battles along the wall, father of two - Jessica and Ryan.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Hope you're right about that, I haven't wanted to get rid of a player this badly since Clarkson lol.

Should have defined asset in this instance as: A roll of the dice.

Clarkson...<shudder>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad