Post-Game Talk: Hyman the only Leaf to show up as Leafs lose 8-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In this instance, they were only on for like 2 GA while Barrie was on for 5. I'm certainly not saying Marincin-Ceci is a good pairing, but they can't be the only ones to blame. Like many have pointed out, the forwards need to be more aware and responsible. Also, the team as a whole is pretty bad at predicting and breaking up the cycle.
Barrie wow he really hates playing in his own end a lot. You can see it in his face. He hates being in his own end. After watching him this season I wonder who forced him to play defense. Maybe a failed centre attempt. I'd love to know his minor hockey history.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I get it, last night specifically Marincin and Ceci weren't the worst, but if you have to play these guys every single night, what is the ripple effect that's gonna have on the rest of the defence?

I would have to imagine Marincin-Ceci is getting some of the most sheltered 3rd pair minutes of all time. But that's already a huge problem because Rielly-Barrie and Dermott-Holl (to a lesser extent than the other 2 pairs) aren't who you want facing top comp either.

Honestly, what is stopping the Leafs from just waiving Ceci and calling up Rasmus and Tim at this point? Dubas, who tf cares that you're trying to trade Ceci, getting rid of Zaitsev alone was a big enough win that no one is gonna care if Ceci gets waived instead of this terrible showcasing that's going on. All that's been showcased is how **** this guy is.

Like cmon just look at this:
Rielly-Barrie
Sandin-Holl
Dermott-Liljegren

You all definitely wanna see this instead of the garbage we've been putting out there since Muzzin's been out.

Asset management. The (15 in 20) streak was achieved with a plus rated Ceci. I’d try to move him for assets (however modest) too if I had strength in the system waiting to be called up.

A lot (of good) can happen in the next month.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Asset management. The (15 in 20) streak was achieved with a plus rated Ceci. I’d try to move him for assets (however modest) too if I had strength in the system waiting to be called up.

It will cost us assets to move his CAP. Common man lets be realistic. But agree Lily should be better.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
In this instance, they were only on for like 2 GA while Barrie was on for 5. I'm certainly not saying Marincin-Ceci is a good pairing, but they can't be the only ones to blame. Like many have pointed out, the forwards need to be more aware and responsible. Also, the team as a whole is pretty bad at predicting and breaking up the cycle.

I never thought there existed a player that could make Jake Gardiner seem like a competent defender by comparison and then along came Barrie..If we want a chance in the playoffs he has to go, more so than Ceci.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I never thought there existed a player that could make Jake Gardiner seem like a competent defender by comparison and then along came Barrie..If we want a chance in the playoffs he has to go, more so than Ceci.
Barrie, Ceci and Marty all need to go way and soon ... I think someone will give us something decent for Barrie but last night Barrie gets you a bag of pucks

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Barrie, Ceci and Marty all need to go way and soon ... I think someone will give us something decent for Barrie but last night Barrie gets you a bag of pucks

I don't mind Ceci on the bottom pairing just because we lack RD depth. But yea I agree, they're all garbage.

Maybe a team starved for offense from the back-end will take a gamble..

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

IMO I don't even see Ceci as an asset that needs to be managed. He's just the fallout from another asset that was managed (Zaitsev). Leafs had no problem waiving Harpur and at this point both Harpur and Ceci are out of the league next year.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
FYI

Were you aware the Nylander was a -4 +/- on the night, which was the worst mark on the entire team for being on the ice for goals against?
Didnt see a single goal against that I could put even a partial blame on Willy and he had some good scoring chances.
This is how I assign ga faults by goal.
1. Kappy
2. Goat
3. Anderson + Kerfoot
4. Nobody
5. Matthews + hutch
6. Tavares + hutch
7. Ceci + Rielly
8. Marincin.
Fixed...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Deangelo has 36 points in 44 games, Reilly has 27 in 46 games . . . I doubt you'd like the price you'd have to pay to get him and Georgiev.
For a team that likes to preach character, I don't think DeAngelo is a guy they would want on their bench

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didnt see a single goal against that I could put even a partial blame on Willy and he had some good scoring chances.
This is how I assign ga faults by goal.
1. Kappy
2. Goat
3. Anderson + Kerfoot
4. Nobody
5. Matthews + hutch
6. Tavares + hutch
7. Ceci + Rielly
8. Marincin.
Fixed...

All I'm saying is in a game where the team took their worst beat down 8-4 in 5 years, I wouldn't be singling out by name the player that was on the ice for 5 of those 8 goals including 1 SH one and ended up the worst +/- player in the game, and say he showed up and played well on 16 minutes (7th among Leafs forwards) of TOI/g.. ;)

Zach Hyman scored 1 set up 2 others was a +2 on the night while playing 20 minutes (most among all Leaf forwards) would be the only player that showed up and would get a pass for that performance, and all the rest should be bag skated into the ice as no shows and reflect on their poor performances.

Reactions: MyBudJT

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is the 2nd game where Hutchinson picks up the loss for Andersen's bad start. I'm not saying that Hutchinson played well, he didn't, but it's not fair that because the Leafs scored 4 goals it negates the loss for Andersen.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
There is only 1 guy Zach who can grind it out as you say. The solution with this personnel group can never be dump and chase. It will be dump and give up the puck. It has no chance of success with this constructed roster. Matty (can do it but lacks will to do it to avoid injury), JT (can do it but too slow to get in on forecheck), Marner (too small), Willy (again too small and does not want to), Goat (too slow and not physical), Kerfoot (does not want to play like that a pure skater boy), Spezza (same as JT), AJ (willing but can't stay on his feet easily pushed off puck), Kappy (willing and has skills but a little small too). Bottom line to many guys who either can't OR don't want to play a dump and chase game. I can't see how it ever can be successful for our Leafs.

This is precisely why the leafs have difficulty in the playoffs. They’re not versatile enough on offense and aren’t smart enough on D.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
IMO I don't even see Ceci as an asset that needs to be managed. He's just the fallout from another asset that was managed (Zaitsev). Leafs had no problem waiving Harpur and at this point both Harpur and Ceci are out of the league next year.

Well, following your example, the non-asset (ie the “fallout” ) acquired from moving Zaitsev (the managed asset) , has 7 points (+8) to Zaitsev’s 8 points (-1)...Not much to choose from apart from that millstone Lamoriello contract on Ottawa’s books.

And Ceci isn’t the only reason our club falters wouldn’t you agree? There’s enough talent to cover his deficiencies when all cylinders are pumping.

So why not explore every avenue in the next month and get what can be had for him?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Well, following your example, the non-asset (ie the “fallout” ) acquired from moving Zaitsev (the managed asset) , has 7 points (+8) to Zaitsev’s 8 points (-1)...Not much to choose from apart from that millstone Lamoriello contract on Ottawa’s books.

And Ceci isn’t the only reason our club falters wouldn’t you agree? There’s enough talent to cover his deficiencies when all cylinders are pumping.

So why not explore every avenue in the next month and get what can be had for him?
I agree, this is exactly what separates the two.

Now what exactly separates Ben Harpur from Ceci? Other than Harpur making 725k for the year and Ceci making 4.5M. They're both on one year deals and they both will be UFAs this summer (I'm 99% certain the Leafs won't qualify Harpur's RFA rights).

If the Leafs were willing to waive Harpur they should be willing to do the same with Ceci. 1.075M would come off the books. In comparison, sending Marincin down only clears 700k and they're both equally as bad.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Sometimes you win because of your goalie sometimes you lose because of your goalie im sure Freddy will bounce back.

For reference where all the shots locations were last game.

TOR at FLA

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That might come as a surprise to some of us but where were Dubas's scouts when the trade was proposed? And why are they still here?
everyone knew he was weak in his own zone but this is next level bad

and Dubas could have had all the tape he wanted to gauge for himself how crap Barrie was defensively but he probably went with his spreadsheets because he can't/won't trust what he's seeing

Kerfoot is also very mediocre and easily replaceable for cheaper , this trade is looking absolutely brutal from our end .

Last edited:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Andersen is all about having a certain degree of mental control. When he's on, he's as cool and calm as can be. Sees the ice well, reads the play well, deploys the technique flawlessly. But when there's a sign of trouble, I don't think he can manage it well. In contrast to a guy like Curtis Joseph, he's not a battler. And he doesn't know how to thrive under discomfort.
This post nails it.

Reactions: shanwhatplan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad