Hyman/McAvoy & Wagner/Rielly hits Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
When Raffi Torres got suspended in the playoffs against Chicago it was cited that his hit was late (he also left his feet - not con paring hits) at 0.7 Seconds. Had never heard that threshold before and remember shaking my head at that number. How does a player stop a hit in half a second?
Rome against Boston SCF, 4 games for a hit 0.4 seconds late.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
You can quote me if you are going to refer to me :laugh: I think Wagner was going for his head. I didn't say I knew anything, I think he was going for his head....Rielly saw him in time and was able to brace for it. He didn't catch him in the head so it doesn't really matter.
your comment was Wagner was going for his head but missed. say what you will but sure seems you you knew he was targeting his head. not sure how else to take this statement.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Late hit or not, it isn't wise to just stand there and let another player steamroll you. Maybe he genuinely didn't see Hyman coming - I don't know. It was a late hit for sure, worthy of a penalty but not a suspension in my opinion.

Again. Why would he defend himself from a deliberate illegal play? If you are not eligible to be hit then you are not going to defend yourself. McAvoy can stand there all day and unless he touches the puck he cannot be hit.

I am not debating whether a suspension is warranted or not but to say he should defend himself from a fairly late hit is just silly.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
your comment was Wagner was going for his head but missed. say what you will but sure seems you you knew he was targeting his head. not sure how else to take this statement.
That is my opinion? I am not really sure what seems to be confusing you here to be quite honest :laugh:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Again. Why would he defend himself from a deliberate illegal play? If you are not eligible to be hit then you are not going to defend yourself. McAvoy can stand there all day and unless he touches the puck he cannot be hit.

You're right - late hits are obviously illegal. But if you see a player coming at you with the intent to finish a check, you should at least brace yourself and prepare some kind of defense. It happens every game in the NHL and players know that. Maybe McAvoy didn't see him coming.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
That is my opinion? I am not really sure what seems to be confusing you here to be quite honest :laugh:
let's see,you are having debates with anyone that disagrees with your leaf homerism opinion. can I remind you of your earlier statement?

"People on both sides need to stop crying about other people crying."

the irony. you might want to live by the very words you use on others. my final comment,so feel free to get your last rebuttal regarding something fans need to stop crying about

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The hysterical crying by Bruins fans about such a borderline hit is pretty sad. I like the work ethic of that team and the adherence to a more traditional style of play. The fans and Jack Edwards though, it’s a drama filled victim fest. You would hope such a tough team would have equally tough, moderately stoic fans. Sadly nope. Everything is a conspiracy or outrageous afront.
Borderline?

It was clearly very late, not borderline at all.

You want hysterical crying? Read Leafs fans posting about the hit on Reilly. That's crying for you on a borderline hit.

Stop making me take the side of the Bruins, it's just not right.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Hymans hit slightly late, Bruins guy fights him and gets his arse whooped, but that should have been it right there, Hyman answered the bell and cleaned Gryz's clock

But nope, Bruins gonna Bruin, had to try to run a guy to get an extra pound of flesh, luckily Rielly can take a hit
It was clearly very late, not slightly.

Nothing wrong with Bruins going after the Leafs dman. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

What's funny is Leafs fans defending Hyman but crying rivers over Wagner's hit which was no where near as bad.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
For sure, Hyman was in the wrong. I'm just trying to say I don't think it's a suspendable hit. The penalty was well deserved and it was a ****ty thing for hyman to do.

This type of stuff actually happens quite often and the play looks a lot serious if not braced for. I'll use my own leaf players for example. Couple days ago, this was kronwall's hit on matthews who didn't even have the puck. He wasn't suspended and a big deal wasn't made of this hit, although it def was a dirty hit.

Kronwall was just stronger going for the puck, it wasn't even a hit. Maybe that's why there's no outrage from anyone apart from Leafs fans.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
let's see,you are having debates with anyone that disagrees with your leaf homerism opinion. can I remind you of your earlier statement?

"People on both sides need to stop crying about other people crying."

the irony. you might want to live by the very words you use on others. my final comment,so feel free to get your last rebuttal regarding something fans need to stop crying about
Huh? Yeah you are absolutely still confused :laugh: Let's start with this....I didn't disagree with your opinion you disagreed with mine and second I didn't cry about anything, at all. I will be pleasantly surprised if you actually tap out though.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Hyman's was late, but not that dirty. I don't think it was suspension worthy, but a penalty was understandable. It's good that McAvoy seems to be okay, as he's one of the few Bruins I actually like and respect.

As for Wagner: That was cheap, dirty, classless and shades of Tom Wilson. Complete dirt. He intended to injure. No room for that in the game.

Hyman isn't the type of player to aim to injure, throw dirty hits, etc. He made a mistake, yes, but it didn't look like he hit McAvoy's head and it wasn't terribly late. He's not garbage like Wagner.
Hypocrisy at it's best. My team's hit wasn't that dirty but the other team's hit was classless, cheap and dirty.

despite the first of those being the worse hit.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
He's no angel and not always the cleanest, but he's nowhere close to as dirty as Burrows, Wilson, Marchand, etc. I can't blame you for thinking so, though, because Canucks fans always have a hate on for Kadri even though the hit on soft Sedin was to the shoulder.
Kadri is far worse than Burrows ever was. At least Burrows never targeted the head, unlike Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->