Injury Report: Hyman knee-on-knee (Update May 10: Back at practice)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What is all this talk of leafs being the sabres without hyman? People acting like we just lost matthews LOL

Hyman is a good support player and very useful but he is no where near our MVP. People need to calm down with this hyman hype.

Are people really saying we're the Sabres without Hyman? If they are, that's obviously dumb and it's just as obvious that Matthews is our MVP and Hyman is no Matthews. Having said that, Hyman s definitely one of our top 5 forwards, Marner is number 2 and how to order the next 3 guys is far from clear.

You could make a case for Hyman being the 3rd most important forward on the team and losing him would be a huge blow. Not on the level of losing Matthews, but a huge blow nevertheless.

What does make me kinda optimistic about this not being worst case scenario is that those types of injuries (torn ligaments) tend to happen when your leg is planted, since every bit of that force is going to the knee. Hyman's leg isn't firmly planted into the ice and leaves the ice fairly without much resistance, with not that much hyperextension to the knee, looking at it again.

It's the awkward collisions when your leg is planted or those awkward collisions along the boards (like what happened to Robertson earlier this year, or what happened to Johnsson last year or Hyman the year before)... hell, sometimes even complete non-contact situations of just landing the wrong way after hopping. That's where the really nasty ones happen. Knee on knee hits can definitely result in torn up knees, but with the way Hyman's leg wasn't firmly planted to the ice as contact was made, I think he might've gotten away with just a really nasty bruise.

Very well explained. No way to know for sure of course but I am optimistic, and this is a perfect summary of why that is.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Are people really saying we're the Sabres without Hyman? If they are, that's obviously dumb and it's just as obvious that Matthews is our MVP and Hyman is no Matthews. Having said that, Hyman s definitely one of our top 5 forwards, Marner is number 2 and how to order the next 3 guys is far from clear.

You could make a case for Hyman being the 3rd most important forward on the team and losing him would be a huge blow. Not on the level of losing Matthews, but a huge blow nevertheless.

Very well explained. No way to know for sure of course but I am optimistic, and this is a perfect summary of why that is.
A licensed doctor on Twitter even said he is confident its a bone bruise which makes sense with Tavares saying Hyman was positive and optimistic and he wouldn't of been if told by trainers they thought the injury was season ending so likely week to week .

Reactions: Gary Nylund

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

e2846215662d71ebcde0169506d108c9.jpg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think anyone can reasonably make that argument.

However, in a playoff environment, he is realistically one of our most important forwards.
I love the guy, always been in his corner, even when people here argued he was a no talent grinder, who didn't belong in the top 6. I'd say he's part of the important core you need to make us a serious contender, he'd be a big loss. Hoping it's just a bruise.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
How the f*** did we not take Edlers head after that? Why do we have Simmonds?
To be fair, Simmonds would have needed to hop over the boards David Clarkson style to exact revenge as Edler was immediately kicked out.
Other forwards on ice were Kerfoot and Micheyev, definitely not fighters. Not sure who the d pair was at the time.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Simmonds done nothing in retaliation either. Remember all the big talk from him when he signed? What was the line, i can play the game and punch some faces or something like that ha. All talk.
Guy broke a bone in his wrist and just got back and is struggling to get back to playing well, its not all talk he is always a willing combatant if called upon

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Guy broke a bone in his wrist and just got back and is struggling to get back to playing well, its not all talk he is always a willing combatant if called upon
Yeah that is a great point. He can lift the bench yelling at Edler or something maybe..... I don’t know.... it was a disengaged reaction and posters annoyed by that have as good a point as you have for reminding me of the hand injury. It was weak. I’m glad we managed a point

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To be fair, Simmonds would have needed to hop over the boards David Clarkson style to exact revenge as Edler was immediately kicked out.
Other forwards on ice were Kerfoot and Micheyev, definitely not fighters. Not sure who the d pair was at the time.

Muzzin was on the ice. I remember his tradition being “oh a delayed penalty? I’m going to jump into the rush now”.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Yeah that is a great point. He can lift the bench yelling at Edler or something maybe..... I don’t know.... it was a disengaged reaction and posters annoyed by that have as good a point as you have for reminding me of the hand injury. It was weak. I’m glad we managed a point
Its all good, I'm really disappointed in the whole team that they struggle to beat a team that has not played or exercised as well as being sick for over 23 days, it is down right apalling so I get every ones anger.
The three game sweep against Edmonton they were flying and each player including Willie was finishing checks. Edmonton didn't know what hit them, I was in awe and now back to this garbage non chalont with crappy goaltending included hockey.
This Franchise has the ability to have its fans over the last 50+ years up and down more than a public toilet seat.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

"The good news is, Dreger says that early reports are that it’s not as bad as it might have appeared. While the injury looked severe on Sunday and that Hyman was in clear pain, it sounds like things could have been much worse and that a tear isn’t believed to have occurred."

(Caveat: It's Dreger)

Last edited:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

"The good news is, Dreger says that early reports are that it’s not as bad as it might have appeared. While the injury looked severe on Sunday and that Hyman was in clear pain, it sounds like things could have been much worse and that a tear isn’t believed to have occurred."

Awesome news

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Its all good, I'm really disappointed in the whole team that they struggle to beat a team that has not played or exercised as well as being sick for over 23 days, it is down right apalling so I get every ones anger.
The three game sweep against Edmonton they were flying and each player including Willie was finishing checks. Edmonton didn't know what hit them, I was in awe and now back to this garbage non chalont with crappy goaltending included hockey.
This Franchise has the ability to have its fans over the last 50+ years up and down more than a public toilet seat.
They need to stick to their defensively structured game plan that got them to this juncture of the season with a good record. I think maybe Keefer just does his powerplay drills etc in practice and then simply tells them lets just go out there and win this game in regulation by playing the sound team defense game and hope our powerplay fixes itself. Focusing extremely on one aspect should be structure that got us here. Take the pressure right out of a smaller aspect and focus it on the greater aspect. Maybe ? Harping on stuff always finds the negative effect i believe.
Go out win in regulation and hope for the best on the powerplay and have fun boys, lets go. Simplified works

Reactions: Cobra777

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
They need to stick to their defensively structured game plan that got them to this juncture of the season with a good record. I think maybe Keefer just does his powerplay drills etc in practice and then simply tells them lets just go out there and win this game in regulation by playing the sound team defense game and hope our powerplay fixes itself. Focusing extremely on one aspect should be structure that got us here. Take the pressure right out of a smaller aspect and focus it on the greater aspect. Maybe ? Harping on stuff always finds the negative effect i believe.
Go out win in regulation and hope for the best on the powerplay and have fun boys, lets go. Simplified works
I dunno I have seen this team play some total exciting sound hockey and then just flat out suck and crap the bed at the other end of the spectrum, the consistency is surely a problem.
Good teams % is great hockey with a few bad ones like in all professional sports vs a team that is like a box of crackerjack not knowing what prize your gonna get on any given game night. This season obviously are better as the standings show but geez sometime you sure think they are trying hard to go back to former problems.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
How can you not call sticking out his leg unintentional?

It's baffling to me. There was definite cause because Edler had been out for more than 2 mins and was dead tired and wanted to get a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad