Injury Report: Hyman knee-on-knee (Update May 10: Back at practice)

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Deciding if Hyman is needed is a dangerous game in this garbage division. Not a game I'm willing to play to be honest. Gotta figure out how to keep him. This guy makes Engvall look like a seasoned 3C when he's beside him. That says enough.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Be nice to have him back for a few games before the playoffs to shake the rust.

He's just too important to not have him firing on all cylinders.
Have to think he has the ability to move all over the lineup, in a 'shortened bench' playoff game

Reactions: Cobra777

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
When Hyman gets back in, Keefe should press-box Galchenyuk. He's a defensive liability and brings down the lines he's played on. He hasn't earned the ice time he gets and he's completely one-dimensional.

A puck retrieval hound like Hyman will instantly make every line he plays on better. I like Brooks too but I wouldn't bench Simmonds for him to get in when Nash comes back. He'd have to get in on an injury or extremely bad games by one of Simmonds, Mikheyev or Kerfoot.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I hate to dissapoing you bro, he's kinda not very good. He's still a very good add
but by the way people are making it sound, that we have Clarke or Gilmour coming this way.

Foligno is a decent player, he's not exactly a difference maker in anyway
Sorry I thought he'd be the type who could fill in a Hyman roll, dig the puck out to Marner, who'd pass it to Matthews.
Kind of like what happened in their last game.

Reactions: DirkStraun

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Matthews is the best of Marner and Nylander, specifically in the playoffs the past few series. But I find Matthews will play down to a struggling Marner level as opposed to dragging Marner up to play a stronger mature NHL playoff game. Marner’s cute game does not translate against defensive checking systems.
But you're also seeing more forwards participating in the defense of the club. And Marner is starting to get some shooting to his game, while maybe not the strongest, with everyone focused on Matthews, does give him a good luck at the net at times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But you're also seeing more forwards participating in the defense of the club. And Marner is starting to get some shooting to his game, while maybe not the strongest, with everyone focused on Matthews, does give him a good luck at the net at times.

Feels like they really flipped a switch after getting embarrassed by Vancouver twice a couple of weeks ago, but they've had a few lengthy winning and losing streaks here and there this season so will be interesting to see how a healthy and motivated Leafs team perform to start the playoffs.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sorry I thought he'd be the type who could fill in a Hyman roll, dig the puck out to Marner, who'd pass it to Matthews.
Kind of like what happened in their last game.
Love how people's opinions of players is more important than their performance. You are right - he did exactly what he was brought here to do. No idea what the other poster is talking about......headscratchingly uninformed post. Seems to be a long-term pattern there.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree. We’re a better team with him. Where in my post did I say otherwise? Simply stated that if he wants too much money, we’d be fine.
Nowhere in your post did you say that, but it the context of you post made it seem to me like his importance is being understated is all.
His loss was offset by Folignos arrival and he's not a cornerstone, but he is a valuable commodity that is not as easy to replace as some have said.
Also I've been shell-shocked arguing on Hymans behalf for years so I might be a bit sensitive on the topic :laugh:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Be nice to have him back for a few games before the playoffs to shake the rust.

He's just too important to not have him firing on all cylinders.
Have to think he has the ability to move all over the lineup, in a 'shortened bench' playoff game

if Hyman gets injured in a regular season game that is too costly. Wait until the playoffs.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I can’t wait for an update as to when he’s coming back. He should get into three games before the weeks break prior to the playoffs. Hoping he’s fresh because he’s going to be a very important player for the Leafs and we need him going.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To be honest I wouldnt bring him back prior to playoffs. These games are meaningless and I would hate to have him reaggravate the injury. There is plenty of time for him to practice on his own until end of season to get into shape. Then give a him a week of practicing at full speed with his teammates prior to playoffs beginning. His game isnt timing and skill, its grit and having the legs once playoffs start. Something that can be returned through practice.

Let him practice with Nash, Andersen and Bogo. Bring them all back for playoffs.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm still on the fence about the Foligno trade TBH. I mean I'm mostly OK with it but still, a part of me wonders if it was the right thing to do. But I digress ...

I think he's going to be awesome in the playoffs. Exactly who we need. Him and Simmonds will keep a lot of heads on swivels and Spezza and Thornton have also shown they can be very grumpy out there.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I think he's going to be awesome in the playoffs. Exactly who we need. Him and Simmonds will keep a lot of heads on swivels and Spezza and Thornton have also shown they can be very grumpy out there.

I agree 100% Having a Hyman type on ever line in the playoffs will open up ice for the big boys and when(IF) injuries happen you wont be wishing we had another Hyman. Not often do the Hall/Iggy/Hossa trades bring you the cup. Meat and potato's type of guys help win cups.
I'm much more comfortable with a PK of Nash,Marner,Hyman and Foligno than Marner, Hyman,Mik and Kerfoot.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Can’t wait til he is back. This team is just loaded with depth now at every position. Goaltending still a bit questionable but we have a lot of the pieces to go toe-to-toe with any team in this league.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
To be honest I wouldnt bring him back prior to playoffs. These games are meaningless and I would hate to have him reaggravate the injury. There is plenty of time for him to practice on his own until end of season to get into shape. Then give a him a week of practicing at full speed with his teammates prior to playoffs beginning. His game isnt timing and skill, its grit and having the legs once playoffs start. Something that can be returned through practice.

Let him practice with Nash, Andersen and Bogo. Bring them all back for playoffs.

Every expert/insider that I've heard speak on the matter said that it's impossible to simulate game pace in practice. He'd need to be in actual NHL games to get back to 100% effectiveness.

Reactions: Cobra777

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Every expert/insider that I've heard speak on the matter said that it's impossible to simulate game pace in practice. He'd need to be in actual NHL games to get back to 100% effectiveness.

He came roaring back "in-season" after his last (major) knee injury after only practicing didn't he?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

That would be more true for a goaltender. In this case with Hyman, I am sure a practice or two and he should be ready to go. He hasn't been out for months, so he might have a couple off moments but should transition back in just fine, regular season game(s) or not.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Beginning of the 2019 - 20 season. He was recovering from off season knee surgery and didn't return until second week of Nov.

He put up 3 points in 9 games that November. Then he played at a near-ppg pace afterwards.

So took him 3 weeks of games to get back to full form.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He put up 3 points in 9 games that November. Then he played at a near-ppg pace afterwards.

So took him 3 weeks of games to get back to full form.

That was also the time the team was in the process of getting Babcock fired. Basing his performance on points those first few games isn't the strongest argument.

Context is important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad