Injury Report: Hyman knee-on-knee (Update May 10: Back at practice)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To be honest I was sceptical. But having Foligno in there after Hyman was injured is comforting.

I'm still on the fence about the Foligno trade TBH. I mean I'm mostly OK with it but still, a part of me wonders if it was the right thing to do. But I digress ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wondering how you feel about Laines cute defensive game now, after you once advocated a Marner for Laine and a 1st trade.

Laine was once a 44 goal scoring 19 year old so if I did propose that once upon a time, it’s not looking good as his career is a train wreck.

As far as Marner is concerned, the mission is still a deep Stanley Cup playoff so let’s see how the team performs with him leading the way as opposed to Sunday morning after beating the worst team in the division 5-1.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Laine was once a 44 goal scoring 19 year old so if I did propose that once upon a time, it’s not looking good as his career is a train wreck.

As far as Marner is concerned, the mission is still a deep Stanley Cup playoff so let’s see how the team performs with him leading the way as opposed to Sunday morning after beating the worst team in the division 5-1.
Yup. Let's see if the player with the 3rd most points in the league is deserving of deep scrutiny if the team fails to win. It's all on him because you've said so time and time again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yup. Let's see if the player with the 3rd most points in the league is deserving of deep scrutiny if the team fails to win. It's all on him because you've said so time and time again.

Why wouldn't it on Marner (and the rest of the Big 4)? Marner alone makes more money than Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Hyman, Rielly. Or Rielly-Brodie as the first defensive pair combined.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
As outsider in your exchanges using words like “throwing out” and “another useless stat” i found to be insulting.

The stats provide information and make for a good discussions. There is no negative intent in there from my perspective.

Edit.

More than willing to rephrase so as not to insult.

@zeke
By posting that the Leafs are 5-1 without Hyman, are you suggesting that Hyman is not a necessary member of the Toronto Maple Leafs? I am asking to better understand your motivation for posting the statistic as there was no elaboration on it's significance.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Well if Andersen doesn't play, gotta blame someone. ;)

Why wouldn't it on Marner (and the rest of the Big 4)? Marner alone makes more money than Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Hyman, Rielly. Or Rielly-Brodie as the first defensive pair combined.

Marner's also raised his play to another level this season and has been one of the top forwards in the NHL. IMHO we don't need to wait to see how we do in the playoffs to say that trading him for Laine and a 1st round pick would have been a really bad move.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
More than willing to rephrase so as not to insult.

@zeke
By posting that the Leafs are 5-1 without Hyman, are you suggesting that Hyman is not a necessary member of the Toronto Maple Leafs? I am asking to better understand your motivation for posting the statistic as there was no elaboration on it's significance.

Would seem this team is well good enough to withstand his absence much better than some were suggesting earlier in this thread.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hyman is an important piece, one who we would miss but the fact we’re a deep enough team to still thrive without him is a good thing.

Injuries happen, and it’s important to learn to win without a roster that’s healthy. The sky isn’t falling.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hyman is an important piece, one who we would miss but the fact we’re a deep enough team to still thrive without him is a good thing.

Injuries happen, and it’s important to learn to win without a roster that’s healthy. The sky isn’t falling.

We have a really good team, does anyone think the sky is falling?

Any team would be hurt by injuries and Hyman's one of our best players, I hope he's back soon. But as long as we stay relatively healthy, the only question mark is our goaltending, other than that I think we're a very tough out for anyone. And Campbell's holding up well so far, let's hope he plays like a solid #1 in the playoffs, if he doesn't then it's hard to see us winning the cup (though we could still easily win a couple of rounds, even with shaky goaltending). If Campbell falters then we do have Rittich and possibly Andersen but if that happens, my level of confidence in this team goes way down for sure.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I thought this thread was bumped cause there was a Hyman update.

Good read anyway though.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
How relevant is what you said to the discussion?
Who in the league wouldn't trade Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Hyman and Rielly for a Marner?
You might as well add the zamboni driver for how relevant this observation is.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
For the first time in a long time. I have pretty much full confidence in our coach and GM.

I loved my best friend growing up, GORD STELLICK. We were the young turks in Toronto, him doing his gm thing, and me doing my thing on Bay Street.

But I was such a huge Leafs fan, when I saw, him being influenced by Brophy and by Ballard.

I drew away, I Still think to this day he was in the league of a Dubas, but unlike Dubas, he had to pull the trigger on trades, that he would never have done, ever. On his solo say so.

So better than some, I can honestly say, we are blessed, to have a coach and a GM, that with this job or without it, will always be best friends.

Players love them. OLD as dust and time, YOUNG, as the fresh dew...

There is probably a CUP, coming, we certainly are being showcased, by those that choose.

I don't care about mugs, trophies and banners, I care about representation.

This management and team, make me feel like a LEAFNATION fan again to the max.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's a good thing Foligno played in 4 of those games and got 4 points.

That's a good point. Foligno hasn't lost a game in a Leafs uniform and he has performed as expected. More to give come the playoffs.

What Hyman, Nash (Bogosian) can bring, along with the Foligno addition is the difference between a good team and a more robust, balanced, Cup threatening team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You always feel this need to answer for all of leafs fans. You don't.

Anyone can read the sky is falling posts at the start of this thread for themselves.

They could, but here's a thought.....

When a thread about a player who has been injured for about 2 weeks, suddenly makes it's way to near the top of the board, one could logically wonder if there is new information about said player.

As a result they may jump to the last page or two of the thread to get the latest information, thereby skipping over those posts at the start of the thread.

Seems reasonable to accept that without context, the reader would have no idea that a random statistic was referring to something that was posted 10-12 days earlier.

Just my two cents.

Edit:
Case in point
I thought this thread was bumped cause there was a Hyman update.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Foligno has filled the hole that was created by the Hyman loss to injury as they're similar style blue collar, lunch pail, hard working players that drive a teams compete level.

It softened the blow of Zach's loss, a player that all his teammates love and want on their lines.

AHHH you like baiter you. Great post, I have been diminished via no like button, but great post.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario

Laine, once he gets over himself, has a great hockey body, immense skills and can with the right coach, get it going in a big way.

I saw him body check someone in his first season, he nearly killed the guy. Lotta value still left in that guy. Finns for the most part are tough, hardy blokes, I kinda like the guy, hope he comes back.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Really looking forward to Hyman coming back so we can see this teams final form.

Sandin actually feels like an upgrade on Bogo in many respects so I don't feel do bad losing him now (although Bogo has been a real trooper for us).

Perfection to me would be Andersen coming back and looking like 2017-2018 regular season Andersen giving us 2 hot goalies all playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad