Confirmed with Link: Hyman fined $5k

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Glad he only got a fine. But I thought we were suppose to be a tougher team? We need to start hammering their players. Hymen did it out frustration which isn’t a good excuse but I’d love to see a few of their players lined up an laid out. The constant cross checking in front of the net is a pain. Get the big hitters out there and line up their star players.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
I thought it should have been a 2 minute penalty for both players, and a 5k fine for Hyman. So almost fair.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think part of it is seeing them excited to play here a few times a year vs. nightly. They can't always play at that level.

I think another portion is the varying standards we get. Different eyes set different responses when you're guaranteed penalties and suspensions

Oh no, I mean why guys like Simmonds, Komisarek, Clarkson and even Clifford and other rough and tumble customers who become Leafs tend to settle in with Toronto and mellow out.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Oh no, I mean why guys like Simmonds, Komisarek, Clarkson and even Clifford and other rough and tumble customers who become Leafs tend to settle in with Toronto and mellow out.
So do I.

Komisarek had penalty trouble early in his Leafs career. He simply wasn't able to play the same physical game he did before and then his career got away from him. Aside from his that, he still took his bi-monthtly Lucic ass beating like a champ.

Clarkson was largely neutered by the suspension and having his game in shambles.

Clifford and Simmonds are similar to their usual selves, but our teams also have the puck a lot more than their previous ones, so less chance to hunt down players on the forecheck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So do I.

Komisarek had penalty trouble early in his Leafs career. He simply wasn't able to play the same physical game he did before and then his career got away from him. Aside from his that, he still took his bi-monthtly Lucic ass beating like a champ.

Clarkson was largely neutered by the suspension and having his game in shambles.

Clifford and Simmonds are similar to their usual selves, but our teams also have the puck a lot more than their previous ones, so less chance to hunt down players on the forecheck.

Fair point. Might also have something to do with the stage of career they get here and what their motivations might be to settle into being a Leaf. Kind of makes me wish we made more of a point to occasionally find these types of players in the developmental system. It's not often we find these types of players in the system and by the time a Tom Wilson makes his way back he'll be completely out of juice.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Guys, you can't swing your stick at a guy's face. If Hyman skates up to Pionk, winds up and punches him right in the face he's not getting a call from the DoPS. If you swing your stick at a guy's face, they're going to hit you with some form of discipline. Pionk being a little asshole before the swing happens has absolutely nothing to do with Hyman being assessed supplementary discipline. You have a dozen options for ways to retaliate on little pukes that aren't swinging your stick near their face. If you swing your stick at someone's face, you're risking supplemental discipline. If he swings his stick at hip height he gets 2 minutes and that's it. Stick at head height and he's getting discipline. This really isn't unfair or difficult to grasp.

Go ahead and bitch and whine about Dubois or Marchand or whatever if you have to, but I beg of you please have some dignity and try not to be completely unrelenting homers who need to defend Hyman for swinging his stick at a guy's face. He got a fine, he's not even going to sit a game. FFS.

Oh, really? Remind me please what Kessel got for switching at ankle of that gorilla that wanted to kill him? Pionk should have been fined more if league wanted to prevent it, protect players and send the message. But league looks like a joke and ultimately is until it changes its policies.

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
Until the leafs man up to the cocky aggression they're facing every game now they'll be one & done in the playoffs. Bummer! Hope Hyman's teammates pay his fine cause at least he battled back & didn't take the attitude that sh_t happens (Marner's quote)

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I guess the man could only take so much abuse as crosschecks/slash from behind. Definitely heat of the moment and a bad judgement on Zach's part (uncharacteristic) and deserved to be fined.

What kills me is the overreaction on the "Two-Handed Tomahawk Chop" by Hyman. Not surprised at all that he isn't suspended. Like c'mon now, I thought Hyman's swing was in SLO-MO that barely made any contact :laugh:

I get what he did was wrong but how the hell do those two dmen get away with mauling him like that? He's not in the blue paint, he has every right to be in that area. "Clearing the crease" has become a circus at this point. The league needs to crack down on this, Hyman's reaction is exactly what will happen more and more. He's a pro and should control his emotions more but I really can't blame him for this. Note that Pionk gave him a healthy slash too just before the incident.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I honestly thought this slash was more dangerous than what Hyman got 2 games for and lost $25K in salary a couple years ago.

Chara KOs Tavares with a punch to the face in front of the ref and no penalty shows how crap the system is. Ref is actually holding Chara at the time while JT is already engaged in the scrum. PLAYOFF GAME. Nothing to do with hyman but I slide this in anytime I can LOL.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That area in front of the net is a free-for-all, “high compete area”, “we don’t want to take net front battles out of the game” unless your a Leaf player.

Obviously he was competing, he gets a viscously slashed, goes to engage in net front “battle”, stick inadvertently goes near another players face———fine him on top of a penalty. Nice NHL

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I get what he did was wrong but how the hell do those two dmen get away with mauling him like that? He's not in the blue paint, he has every right to be in that area. "Clearing the crease" has become a circus at this point. The league needs to crack down on this, Hyman's reaction is exactly what will happen more and more. He's a pro and should control his emotions more but I really can't blame him for this. Note that Pionk gave him a healthy slash too just before the incident.

Some of the Leafs defensemen have been clearing the crease this season too. I assume you thought that was great though....

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Some of the Leafs defensemen have been clearing the crease this season too. I assume you thought that was great though....

For you, I'll watch more closely and let you know what I see. I doubt anything like that or the beating Matthews took a few weeks back from Montreal has happened but I promise to be open minded.

Other than that, you think it's OK what Pionk was doing or what?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
For you, I'll watch more closely and let you know what I see. I doubt anything like that or the beating Matthews took a few weeks back from Montreal has happened but I promise to be open minded.

Other than that, you think it's OK what Pionk was doing or what?

I like a really physical net front. I want our team to make our slot a place to avoid. I have enjoyed Bogosian, Muzzin, and Holl throwing guys around on occasion.

I think when Pionk did was probably a bit much. It was worth a minor penalty, though I certainly didn’t see it as the war crime some people seem to think it was.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I honestly thought this slash was more dangerous than what Hyman got 2 games for and lost $25K in salary a couple years ago.

Chara KOs Tavares with a punch to the face in front of the ref and no penalty shows how crap the system is. Ref is actually holding Chara at the time while JT is already engaged in the scrum. PLAYOFF GAME. Nothing to do with hyman but I slide this in anytime I can LOL.

In the linesman's defense, it was a weird punch that looked like a nothing thing. Unfortunately for Tavares it was delivered by a freak of nature that could probably knock me out with a mild backhand :) No shame in admitting this, I'm sure we all remember Bryan McCabe's look of amusement and disbelief on the bench after he got manhandled by Chara back in the day.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I like a really physical net front. I want our team to make our slot a place to avoid. I have enjoyed Bogosian, Muzzin, and Holl throwing guys around on occasion.

I think when Pionk did was probably a bit much. It was worth a minor penalty, though I certainly didn’t see it as the war crime some people seem to think it was.

No, I don't see it as a crime against humanity, I just see it getting worse in recent years. I'm actually more upset about the crosscheck on Matthews. It was clearly brutally hard and way beyond "clearing the net" but since the league has set the tone that they want battles to happen, it's very difficult for a ref to call it. I think a league clarification might make sense just to send a message that when you cross the line, they're going to start calling it. Actually, I like the battles myself...within reason.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Until the leafs man up to the cocky aggression they're facing every game now they'll be one & done in the playoffs. Bummer! Hope Hyman's teammates pay his fine cause at least he battled back & didn't take the attitude that sh_t happens (Marner's quote)
Agreed. Toughen up and push back. Playoffs will be even tougher and teams are not afraid of taking a penalty now that we have no PP.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Good thing he didn’t break his wrist lol. Refs faualt not calling the hooks,slashes. They are there watching him get abused pretty hard and the result was justified. piunk did not get hit in the face. He faked it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad