Injury Report: Hutchinson has a concussion

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Now that the Rangers are officially TDL sellers, perhaps a certain Czech goalie will be making his way back here to be a backup rental...

I kid, I kid.

At this rate, we actually might throw a late pick at the Red Wings for their Czech backup goalie.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Would have np grabing Nilsson from Canucks and send Mason back + something, but it wont happen I guess

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Helly strong like bull, skull like steel...

Seriously what kind of masks are these guys wearing?

These masks apparently.

61pwq9822UL._UX385_.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would have np grabing Nilsson from Canucks and send Mason back + something, but it wont happen I guess

That might actually make sense from both sides. We could give them a decent winger we can afford to lose. They are taking on the bigger contract so need to be compensated. OTOH they are getting a potentially better goalie - assuming he recovers well.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Back in the day, every goalie that played the game had a concussion at one time or another. They just "shook it off" and kept playing. The difference is today people are looking out for the symptoms.

My kid played goal, and he said once that if you take a shot off the head you basically heard ringing for about 2 - 5 minutes as a minimum. Depends if it catches you straight on or off the side of the head. From the side is way worse.

People don't think it should be much because the puck is small, but there is a lot of force behind it.

Reactions: Jets 31

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
sorry, man.
pretty awful "hot take" in this day and age, especially when we're trying to move past an era where athletes were supposed to shake out the cobwebs and continue playing.

Lotsa guys would've kept it under wraps.....still. This does nothing to ease my suspicions of Hutch being a bit of a flake.

Basalt13

Sep 2, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I love Comrie, but in a situation like this where Helle is gonna be playing anyway why not bring up Phillips to ride the pine and have Comrie carry the load for the Moose. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Seriously what kind of masks are these guys wearing?

This ... I mean seriously, how can this keep happening? Aren't goalie masks supposed to be built to protect the wearer from pucks?

As for Helle, thank goodness he seems to be far less susceptible to concussions. I was really worried we'd lose him when Neal tried decapitating him with his two-hander in the Vegas game. Still don't understand how that wasn't a suspension ...

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Concussions are not impacted by strength or will... and it’s a problem in hockey at lower levels for players to think otherwise and try to fight it :/

My son had 3 concussions by his 14th bday, his first one from bumping into his coach while skating backwards, second a body check and third a cross check while driving the net and hit his head on the crossbar . Shit happens and everyone is different. We had a long talk with him and all decided together that local hockey was the way to go from here on in to limit any potential long term damage.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So many injuries lately. It's even worse when you start losing your goalies to injury. I sure hope nothing happens to Hellebuyck. Maybe our goalies should be wrapped in bubble wrap for extra protection during practice. ;)

:jets

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This ... I mean seriously, how can this keep happening? Aren't goalie masks supposed to be built to protect the wearer from pucks?

As for Helle, thank goodness he seems to be far less susceptible to concussions. I was really worried we'd lose him when Neal tried decapitating him with his two-hander in the Vegas game. Still don't understand how that wasn't a suspension ...

The mask protects them from the initial impact. It is the movement of the brain relative to the skull that causes concussion. The brain is suspended by a kind of cats cradle of tissue. So it doesn't move in sync with the skull. First the skull moves, then the brain follows. If that movement is large enough and sudden enough the cradle stretches and the brain impacts the skull. That's the concussion. Then there is a second chance for the same thing on the rebound. My layman's explanation.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->