Recalled/Assigned: Hutch Recalled, Lowry on IR

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If you rarely play Mason, hard for him to stay sharp.

That said, I’d like for a Hutch to get a game in.

Mason had his chance, Helly took the job from him and ran with it. Looks like Helly will be a goalie who will get a lot of work, no need for a $ 4.5M backup with .897 sv.%, Hutch would make a fine backup!

Reactions: Hobby Bull and GNP

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Mason had his chance, Helly took the job from him and ran with it. Looks like Helly will be a goalie who will get a lot of work, no need for a $ 4.5M backup with .897 sv.%, Hutch would make a fine backup!

Point being, I think it’s unfair to call Mason bad when he rarely gets played. I would rather judge him on his career than the sporadic games he has played this year.

I wasn’t suggesting that we play him more either. Hellebuyck very quickly snatched up the #1. I agree...we no longer need Mason now that Hellebuyck has arrived.

I’m fine giving Hutch another shot as our back-up. The guy deserves it based on his work this year with the Moose and how he ended last year with the Jets.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Called it.

It's the right move, IMO. Mason is too inconsistent (might not be right from the concussion, either) and Hutch has done everything he could to get a second chance.

Glad Chevy was listening to me :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We'll win :sarcasm:

In all seriousness Hutch is an emergency recall to make sure we have a backup while Mason is sick. Even if he gets in and plays well he gets sent down as there is no risk to the organization doing so.

Realistically he isn't going to play. There is 1 game then a 6 day break. That said I would like to see him get the game. And pitch a SO at Minny. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Mason if feeling shitty and can't go then they need to make this move because they have to have a back up. I am not reading anything more into it then that.

Reactions: kanadalainen

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Calling Hutch up for good play is the right move and he should have been called up over Comrie earlier.
Emergency this time, reason not the first was they don't wanna lose him on waivers as they need him for insurance, Comrie is no where near ready.
Mason is getting some undeserved poor treatment by some fans, concussions are very tough to come back from for goalies, see fleury, Montoya, etc, it takes time. I think he's still good and will have his chance to play and when healthy he will be fine. Those who think Hutch is better are fooling themselves.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Emergency this time, reason not the first was they don't wanna lose him on waivers as they need him for insurance, Comrie is no where near ready.
Mason is getting some undeserved poor treatment by some fans, concussions are very tough to come back from for goalies, see fleury, Montoya, etc, it takes time. I think he's still good and will have his chance to play and when healthy he will be fine. Those who think Hutch is better are fooling themselves.

No argument with any of that but with Mason you may get a good return and dump a hefty contract, Hutch a lot closer in ability to Mason than many think.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
No argument with any of that but with Mason you may get a good return and dump a hefty contract, Hutch a lot closer in ability to Mason than many think.
No please no! See last year! Mason needs to be here, keep him, we need a proven starter to push Helly and fill in like one when needed, Hutch can't do that and isn't even close to Mason IMO.

Reactions: Evil Little

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No please no! See last year! Mason needs to be here, keep him, we need a proven starter to push Helly and fill in like one when needed, Hutch can't do that and isn't even close to Mason IMO.

Mason rocking a .897 is pretty bad compared to Pavs .927 this season!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mason will be in line up again as soon as he is healthy. We are not trading him because we may need him to take over the starting duties if Helly gets injured. We have been their done that with Hutch, I am thrilled he is having a big season in the AHL but Mason is more that capable is being above average NHL starter so he is the insurance we have bought and paid for and may very well still need.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Do you guys think Chevy would consider trading Hutch to the Hawks? We are most likely looking for a 1B ... I think Hutch could work for us or maybe Mrazek.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Do you guys think Chevy would consider trading Hutch to the Hawks? We are most likely looking for a 1B ... I think Hutch could work for us or maybe Mrazek.

Once Mason is healthy, yeah I think Chevy would consider that trade. Hutch seems to have had his time with the org, and they're moving on. His recent strong play may be a "sell high" scenario for the Jets on an asset that they don't see as part of their future.

That being said, Hutch still has some value to the Jets as, at the very least, an injury call-up, which is where he is now. Hutch has NHL experience. Our next-best guy in the minors, Comrie, didn't look great in his last call-up. So the return would have to exceed Hutch's value as a currently solid 3rd tender for us.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Once Mason is healthy, yeah I think Chevy would consider that trade. Hutch seems to have had his time with the org, and they're moving on. His recent strong play may be a "sell high" scenario for the Jets on an asset that they don't see as part of their future.

That being said, Hutch still has some value to the Jets as, at the very least, an injury call-up, which is where he is now. Hutch has NHL experience. Our next-best guy in the minors, Comrie, didn't look great in his last call-up. So the return would have to exceed Hutch's value as a currently solid 3rd tender for us.
Thanks .. I imagine Bowman is looking now so depending upon how long Mason takes may dictate the likelihood of a deal .. oh and the ask of course!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks .. I imagine Bowman is looking now so depending upon how long Mason takes may dictate the likelihood of a deal .. oh and the ask of course!

The challenge is Mason had one concussion and missed time them came back. However he seemed to have another issue this past road trip and they were speculating it might have been from a head issue. The Jets would need to be able to count on Mason before they moved Hutch IMO.

Looks like Puckatron 3000 mentioned the same thing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
For what we would get for Hutch, keep him as the 3rd stringer in case of injury.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For what we would get for Hutch, keep him as the 3rd stringer in case of injury.
Agreed with all thoughts along these lines. Unless someone is willing to trade the Jets a player they can insert into their roster and help them win now, which is unlikely, you hold onto Hutch in case Mason or God forbid Helly goes down.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If they are comfortable with Hutch as an injury fill-in, they should trade Mason.

I think it is more of an emergency type situation only with Hutch until Mason is healthy no? If they liked him one would think they might have started him in one of the B2B's? The problem really comes down to what if Helly goes cold or gets injured? Mason has had some really good seasons in the NHL and could still be a pretty important piece at some point. I would be uncomfortable with Hutch in anything more than a 3rd stringers role at this point personally. I guess we will see how it all plays out but I doubt they trade Mason this season IMO.

Reactions: KingBogo

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At this point I would trust Pavelec in our net more than I trust Mason which is f***ing sad.

Move him or buy him out and admit he is a failure in Winnipeg before he costs us more games.
He is injury prone too.

If they are comfortable with Hutch as an injury fill-in, they should trade Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad