Injury Report: Huskins and Kindl in, Quincey day-to-day, Franzen aims for Wednesday, Howard starts

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Per Khan:

Kyle Quincey said he's day to day. Didn't rule out playing Sat. If not, maybe Sun. Said they ruled out high ankle sprain.

And a later update:

Babcock said Howard is starting tomorrow. Quincey not playing. Kindl will replace him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Howard starting again :facepalm:

I'm starting to think Babs is secretly trying to tank.

Well it's back-to-back games, Howard should start one of them so might aswell be tomorrow. If he starts Sunday too, I don't know what to think. It would seem in the team's best interest to get Gus going here. In a perfect world, Gus would pull a Fasth and force Howard(Hiller) to up his game in order to get his starts.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Howard starting again :facepalm:

I'm starting to think Babs is secretly trying to tank.

Wait. Are you saying Howard shouldn't start because he's playing poorly? Or for a different reason?

This is a 48 game season, if Howard is the goalie this organization thinks he is playing 46 out of 48 games should be no issue.

This is especially true if your team is on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I have no problem with Howard starting at all. Monster hasn't shown me ****. Wouldn't mind Mrazek getting a start but he's in GR.

CloneHakanPlease*

Wait. Are you saying Howard shouldn't start because he's playing poorly? Or for a different reason?

This is a 48 game season, if Howard is the goalie this organization thinks he is playing 46 out of 48 games should be no issue.

This is especially true if your team is on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

You do realize 46 games in this amount of time period is a lot different than 46 games more spread out in a full season right? The ratios of starts should still be the same as in a regular season if only slightly more to the starter. Saying he should be fine with 46 games because hes normally plays 50+ in a full season is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

I just feel like it'd be smarter to give Gus the start with it being a back to back, if he plays well give him a start on Sunday as well. Howard has been looking very average lately, and I'd like to see (like joe posted) if they can start a situation like Anaheim with Gus playing the part of Fasth and force Howard to up his game.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You do realize 46 games in this amount of time period is a lot different than 46 games more spread out right? The ratios of starts should still be the same as in a regular season if only slightly more to the starter. Saying he should be fine with 46 games because hes normally plays 50+ in a full season is ridiculous.

No it isn't. This 48 games is only 5 days fewer than the final 48 games of a usual regular season. It's not as condensed as people think. The season ends right before May.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I just feel like it'd be smarter to give Gus the start with it being a back to back, if he plays well give him a start on Sunday as well. Howard has been looking very average lately, and I'd like to see (like joe posted) if they can start a situation like Anaheim with Gus playing the part of Fasth and force Howard to up his game.

I think Gustavsson will get some starts, I just don't know in the midst of a losing streak is when you turn to your backup.

CloneHakanPlease*

No it isn't. This 48 games is only 5 days fewer than the final 48 games of a usual regular season. It's not as condensed as people think. The season ends right before May.

You missed the point completely. When would any goalie not named Martin Broduer start 46 out of the 48 games without being completely overworked?

Just because Howard can play 65 games total in a full season does not mean he should be starting 46/48

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You missed the point completely. When would any goalie not named Martin Broduer start 46 out of the 48 games without being completely overworked?

Tons of goalies are going to do that this season, Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Brodeur. Teams don't have the luxury of not playing their best guys every night they can.

CloneHakanPlease*

Tons of goalies are going to do that this season, Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Brodeur. Teams don't have the luxury of not playing their best guys every night they can.

Every single one of those goalies has already started two games this season as the backup. Literally every single one.

39-41 games is pushing it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I have no problem with Howard starting at all. Monster hasn't shown me ****. Wouldn't mind Mrazek getting a start but he's in GR.

Not too surprising considering he hasn't started a game yet?

Howard should be the goalie in 80% of the games for the remainder of the year. If the playoffs are on the line, maybe 100% the last 10 games.

CloneHakanPlease*

No they don't. People not doing things doesn't mean they're not capable of it. I'm capable of banning who ever I want, I'm choosing not to do it.

You could ban me, but it wouldn't make you right. If the coaches thought the goalie could play 46 games, they'd be playing them for it, unless they think the fatigue would make their goalies struggle and that the backup would give the team a better chance of winning, which also goes against your point too when the designated starter is much better than the backup. Either way, 46 games will never happen and for good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You could ban me, but it wouldn't make you right. If the coaches thought the goalie could play 46 games, they'd be playing them for it, unless they think the fatigue would make their goalies struggle and that the backup would give the team a better chance of winning, which also goes against your point too when the designated starter is much better than the backup. Either way, 46 games will never happen and for good reason.

Don't you question coaching and GMing decisions all the time?

Heaton, not the best thing comparing Howard to guys like Quick, Lunqvist, Rinne, Brodeur...

I never compared their skill level.

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
The point is that Howard has not been getting it done and we have been losing games...now out of a playoff spot. Gustavsson may be the "backup" but he may be the spark to get our team winning again. Gustavsson pushing Howard for starts is good competition...just letting Howard play every game until he says he needs a break is not helping the team.

Every player on the team should be working everyday to keep their job...including our goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->