Injury Report: Huskins and Kindl in, Quincey day-to-day, Franzen aims for Wednesday, Howard starts

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive

Howard said he is starting tonight

Mursak confirms he is playing tonight. He hurt his collar bone in season opener in check from Blues' David Backes.

Babcock said Huskins in tonight in place of Kindl

As expected, Franzen not ready to play yet.

https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive

Guess the 3 first period penalties didn't sit well with Mr.Babcock

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Seems like Babs wants Huskins in against more physical teams. Glad to have Mursak back, hope he can be a difference maker.

I also really hope Howard knows what he's doing. All this talk of blurred vision in practice and he's quick to jump right back in. Landeskog did the same and only made it worse. Let's hope the doctors are right this time and it's not concussion related. We need Howard at 110%.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
so eaves is out?

i'm not sure why lashoff is preferred over huskins. lashoff loses position fairly often, and huskins is generally safer.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Can someone please explain to me how and why Lashoff continues to not only stay in the lineup, but on the top pairing as well?

Guy is nothing but Lebda part deux.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Here comes Kindl sitting for the next five games.

Not that it might be such a bad thing, but still.

THW

Mar 6, 2008
I hope Mursak makes a splash tonight, he really wants to play and he has a fire in his belly. He said he was really frustrated. Maybe at least he could showcase himself for a trade to somewhere he will get a better shot.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I hope Mursak makes a splash tonight, he really wants to play and he has a fire in his belly. He said he was really frustrated. Maybe at least he could showcase himself for a trade to somewhere he will get a better shot.

Yeah, I am hoping he can produce and STAY HEALTHY. He's a guy who has earned his shot only to continually be kept out of the lineup due to injury. I really like having a couple speedy, skilled wingers in Tatar and Mursak.

I like going with a more defensive d-man approach. Not to get into another long, drawn out discussion but our "offensive" defensemen aren't generating much offense. So we might as well go with the defensive defensemen and give Howie some help. I hope he is on top of his game tonight.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Can someone please explain to me how and why Lashoff continues to not only stay in the lineup, but on the top pairing as well?

Eh, Lebda got badly exposed when he played on the second pairing, let alone the first. Lebda was also strictly an EVS bottom pairing d-man. Lashoff plays big PK minutes. I am holding off on forming an opinion on Lashoff, however I do like that he's getting ice time and want to see how he develops over the course of the season. I didn't like Emmerton last season but he's definitely grown on me this year. People want youth but then get upset when youth has some growing pains getting accustomed to playing at the highest levels of the sport. Relax, be patient and let's see what happens.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012

playing with kronwall does not equal top pairing. big e is our top d-man now and will get the tougher assignments when babs can matchup

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

1) Because he really doesn't suck, and the Wings have needed/wanted physical, stay-at-home guys for a while now; right now they've got Huskins, Lashoff, and maybe Ericsson, but he's still trying to spark offense.

2) Can't help you with where he's playing, other than the need for an OFD and DFD on the same pairing (NHLxx mode, yeah!). I'd rather see Ericsson with Kronwall and Lashoff with White, but whatever.

Not really, no, unless you mean "exactly the same except in almost every way."

CloneHakanPlease*

Howard should not be getting the start. Dude is so overworked.

Mursak isn't going to make a difference, hate to break it to you people.

Want more Tatar time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Khan and ESPN insider behind the paywall have Mursak's days numbered with the Wings today. I think it is a shame as he never really got healthy. It would be a mistake to keep Eaves or Miller over this guy in my opinion.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit

Babcock said Huskins in tonight in place of Kindl

I knew Kindl would be scratched after those three penalties in the first last game. Tough break for him.

Khan and ESPN insider behind the paywall have Mursak's days numbered with the Wings today. I think it is a shame as he never really got healthy. It would be a mistake to keep Eaves or Miller over this guy in my opinion.

Mursak can't catch a break. Two seasons in a row he has a lengthy injury right out of the gate. He should be given a good look before they decide to trade/waive him.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Why does Eaves keep getting bounced? I know he's not doing anything special but, at least, he can PK and is on top of the puck all of the time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why does Eaves keep getting bounced? I know he's not doing anything special but, at least, he can PK and is on top of the puck all of the time.

Well this goes to another Babcock gripe. Right now he has Andersson up. Andersson has shown to be a very good penalty killer at the AHL level, hell he has been a good penalty killer in the WJC, SEL, and AHL. Why don't we use him in that role, wouldn't it help the taxing ice time minutes? Mursak was a very dependable guy in the AHL as a penalty killer, he has speed to burn and gets in lanes. But we don't try him there. Just because Eaves has earned that trust doesn't mean he is the only capable guy. One would suggest given our PK woes for the last two or three years Miller and Eaves are not nearly as good at that role as some would suggest.

Quite frankly behind Helm, Datsyuk and Zetterberg our next best penalty killers in the system are Ferraro and Sheahan. Emmerton probably slots in next and then I am willing to throw Andersson on the level of Miller. Filppula, Cleary and Abdelkader bring nothing special to the table in those units more often than not. Eaves does this role while making more and has lost his goal scoring ways. It is unfortunate but Eaves is a very replaceable part that is why he continues to bounce around. When he is hot and confident he is better but that is few and far between. Mursak has a lot of qualities and will come at a cheaper RFA controlled figure. I would rather see him stick around than some of the other guys. That is just my opinion.

Eaves also while starting to come around isn't sticking his nose in things for obvious reasons. I don't fault the guy, but it nevertheless makes him expendable to me before some other guys.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Eh, Lebda got badly exposed when he played on the second pairing, let alone the first. Lebda was also strictly an EVS bottom pairing d-man. Lashoff plays big PK minutes. I am holding off on forming an opinion on Lashoff, however I do like that he's getting ice time and want to see how he develops over the course of the season.

That's a point I have made in the past; Lebda was terrible, and he was even worse if you tried to bump him up the lineup. Like Toronto did. What was it eklund said, 40 points for Lebda? :laugh:

Lashoff we know is a decent defensive player. How good can he be? We don't know. Apparently Babcock thinks now is the time to find out. I think he could become a solid top-four guy, but he sure as **** hasn't been that this year.

I didn't like Emmerton last season but he's definitely grown on me this year. People want youth but then get upset when youth has some growing pains getting accustomed to playing at the highest levels of the sport. Relax, be patient and let's see what happens.

Some people need to listen to me more when I say "this player is good, give him a year or two" like I did about Emmerton. Not naming names or anything.

I knew Kindl would be scratched after those three penalties in the first last game. Tough break for him.

Wouldn't have happened to Lashoff or Cleary. It's a shame when your coach refuses to recognize when certain players are being vastly outplayed or are playing very well and refuses to change his usage of them because they are either on his favorites list or his list of whipping boys.

He should be given a good look before they decide to trade/waive him.

Assuming we have the roster space to do so. When everyone's healthy, they would have to send down Brunner in order to play Mursak and not waive anyone. Of forwards Mursak is probably first on waivers, then Eaves/Miller in some order, then Emmerton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad