News Article: Hurricanes smell donut

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey, I said I'd make a lot of people mad. But overrated doesn't have to equal bad. It's just like BBA said, it's just another donut to me. And I'm not big on plain glazed donuts as is.

At the risk of repeating myself...

tenor.gif

Jeez, what's next, decrying Bojangles? That might be bannable offense on this forum.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You guys are certainly feeding into them being overrated with these reactions. And don't be daft. I love Bojangles. Sadly, we don't have them in my area, but I had it on my drive down to the opener.

I also like ketchup on hot dogs and prefer tomato based bbq. And I don't care whose feathers that ruffles. Everyone has different tastes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm going to make a lot of people angry, but Krispy Kreme glazed, fresh or not, are very overrated to me.

As for Tim Hortons, you can also get it in Ohio and NYC at the very least, as I do most of the time when I'm there.
I know you are also a Tech fan/alum, but we can't be friends anymore. You said one of the unforgivable curses.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You guys are certainly feeding into them being overrated with these reactions. And don't be daft. I love Bojangles. Sadly, we don't have them in my area, but I had it on my drive down to the opener.

I also like ketchup on hot dogs and prefer tomato based bbq. And I don't care whose feathers that ruffles. Everyone has different tastes.

I'm now questioning whether or not you have functional tastebuds or are just aiming to get tarred and feathered and run out of Forum 26 on a rail.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country

I grilled hotdogs one time with friends over. First thing I got asked was, "where's the ketchup". I don't even buy ketchup. And would never put it on a hamburger or hot dog. Ever. I showed them the mayo, horseradish mustard, plain mustard, spicy mustard, etc. and said, "I don't have ketchup, I'm an adult! " ; )

And Eastern BBQ is best!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like pork butt. I like tomato or vinegar based sauce. I prefer mayo-based slaw.

I don’t get hotdog elitism over ketchup. “Why ruins the hotdog with ketchup.” It’s chopped up spare parts in a tube. Ketchup doesn’t ruin it.

In fact, I think the stronger argument could be made that the Platonic ideal of a hotdog is, by its very definition, ruined.

I don’t prefer ketchup myself, gimme mustard and relish, but I’ll eat one with ketchup.

Saying it’s “wrong” to put it on a hamburger is just a bad take. Some of the most famous and most eaten hamburgers in the world have ketchup. In fact ketchup, diced onions, and pickles (McDonald’s style) is absurdly delicious.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As someone who has spent almost the entirety of their life in the south i would love to go to a Tim Hortons. See what all the hype is about.

I was up in Victoria & Vancouver this summer around a cruise and we headed over to Tim Horton's. I'll say they do maple very well. Beyond that, I'd agree with the DD assessment: there are local places that do better than both chains. And I think DD coffee is better than Tim Horton's.

With Rise and Duck Donuts around, I don't have an urge for Dunkin anymore. Still very little better than a hot Krispy Kreme glazed, but I will agree that KK's other options fall behind most other doughnut chains. And Duck does hot doughnuts quite well as well.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I was up in Victoria & Vancouver this summer around a cruise and we headed over to Tim Horton's. I'll say they do maple very well. Beyond that, I'd agree with the DD assessment: there are local places that do better than both chains. And I think DD coffee is better than Tim Horton's.

With Rise and Duck Donuts around, I don't have an urge for Dunkin anymore. Still very little better than a hot Krispy Kreme glazed, but I will agree that KK's other options fall behind most other doughnut chains. And Duck does hot doughnuts quite well as well.
I'm a big fan of Duck Donuts. We used to get it every year on our Outer Banks vacation, but luckily, they opened up a number of them in NOVA. We have a place up here, Astro Fried Chicken and Donuts. Pretty good donuts and fried chicken. Jeff Halpern was the co-founder or something to that effect.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I like my hot dog with ketchup and that's it. Brats too actually. I've been surprised on more than one occasion how much that outrages some people who seem to have this almost religious belief that mustard is the only acceptable condiment on a hot dog. Like, who cares, it's a hot dog. It's trash food, literally, it's buttholes and eyeballs and whatever other crap they scrape up off the floor after the butchering is done. If I want to top my ground up eyeballs and buttholes with ketchup and nothing else, WTF do you care?

With burgers it depends. If it's just pickles and onions, like McDonald's style, I go with ketchup and mustard. But if there's lettuce and tomato present I prefer mayo and mustard, no ketchup.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Krispy Kreme > Rise > Carolina Glazed > Monuts > Daylight > Dunkin > Duck

My current rankings of donut places that I can recall having locally in the last 3 years or so.

Sorry but not sorry, nothing beats getting an original glazed donut at Krispy Kreme when the hot sign is on.

And sorry to the Duck Donuts loyalists, but I’m not a fan of the cake doughnuts.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There is not a better donut anywhere
Wrong. Frank's Bakery in Bangor, Maine (don't think it's called Frank's anymore, but that is the name I remember it by) makes the best donuts. They make a chocolate cake donut with sugared coconut topping that is just spectacular. You have to call ahead to have them reserve a dozen or two for you if you want to pick them up anytime after 8am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->