Hurricanes sign Rod Brind'Amour to 3 year extension

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ummm... exactly how was Rod taken advantage here? Like can you give 1 example even a little bit?

Are you forgetting that Dundon and Waddell gave him an NHL coaching gig 3 years ago when he had 0 experience being an HC at any level? That's pretty unheard of.

It's a mutually beneficial relationship and that's pretty clear. If Rod wanted to be a HC in the NHL his only opportunity to do so right away was with the Canes. They gave him a chance to do that and he succeeded. Now he and his coaching staff are getting raises. What exactly is the problem here?
Habs fan. Probably still salty that they couldn't just take Aho away from us a couple years ago with a dash of QC jealousy thrown in.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I'm wondering if they are including the last 2 games of the reg season in their 7 game sample size. Either way it's a bonehead post. The Canes rested players the last 2 games so throw those out the window.

During the series, Hynes and Nashville had a gameplan and they stuck to it. It worked to some degree but still came up short. Canes were also without their #1D in Slavin for half the series and other injuries. Saros saved their bacon a number of times. That's not being outcoached. Rod had a gameplan as well and it worked. Would we have preferred quicker results? Sure but we lost 2 overtime games. If the Canes big guns showed up mid series when it mattered then it could have been a sweep.

The biggest problem I think the Canes have is when they get into these high scoring racetrack type games. They always seem to blow them. It happened against the Leafs at the next generation game. It happened against the Bruins last year and it happened against Tampa in game 4 this year. I don't know if it's D, forwards or goalies but collectively the team tends to fall flat when it comes to these high scoring back and forth games where they have multiple leads. That needs to change because championship caliber teams don't do that. They lock things down when it gets down to the wire.

Either way, we all have confidence in Rod and his staff. There's gonna be some player personnel changeover this off-season but the core is clearly in place.

Personally its a stretch to say he got outcoached against Cooper. Games 1 and 2 were one goal games but in all honesty the Canes had some high danger chances stopped by one of the best goalies of our time. No offense to Ned or Petr but both Saros and Vasi outplayed the Canes netminders and that is the reason they went 6 against the Preds and lost to the Bolts.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Personally its a stretch to say he got outcoached against Cooper. Games 1 and 2 were one goal games but in all honesty the Canes had some high danger chances stopped by one of the best goalies of our time. No offense to Ned or Petr but both Saros and Vasi outplayed the Canes netminders and that is the reason they went 6 against the Preds and lost to the Bolts.

Well yeah, Saros played well above in order to bring up the rest of his team but he was also beatable. Same with Vasi.

I’d agree that the Canes goalies got outplayed but I don’t think it’s the reason they lost to Tampa or went to 6 with Nashville. Canes scored 2 goals total in games 1, 2, and 5 against Tampa. You can’t win a series doing that no matter who you have in net.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Well yeah, Saros played well above in order to bring up the rest of his team but he was also beatable. Same with Vasi.

I’d agree that the Canes goalies got outplayed but I don’t think it’s the reason they lost to Tampa or went to 6 with Nashville. Canes scored 2 goals total in games 1, 2, and 5 against Tampa. You can’t win a series doing that no matter who you have in net.

But in some of those games we score few goals because the goalies were making insane stops

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Leafs have to manage their cap. There's no cap for coaches. Seems like you desperately want to defend this deal and not thinking about Rod. Even though he's in your avatar. :laugh:

With fans like these....
What business is it of yours how much he gets paid. If he wasn’t happy with the terms he could have gone elsewhere. But he didn’t, therefore, he must be happy and that’s all that counts

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Great coach. Must be easier to have the respect of players when motivating them to work hard and be in good shape when you have muscles like Rod

Reactions: AD Skinner

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
But in some of those games we score few goals because the goalies were making insane stops

Well sure… and we’ve had games where Petr and Ned have done that for us. Being a superhuman goalie has been proven to be a pretty non repeatable skill for the most part. And those teams who have those goalies don’t tend to give them up.

Vasi is one of those goalies… but how do you get him? The answer is you can’t.

Bob and Price appeared to be those types of goalies and MTL and FLA paid through the nose to get/retain them. How are those contracts looking?

I’m all for a goaltending upgrade but it’s the most volatile position in hockey (maybe in sports) and as such it’s very difficult to sign/trade for a goalie who leads you to the cup.

Ward
Giguere
Osgood
Fleury
Huet
Thomas
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Crawford
Fleury/Murray
Fleury/Murray
Holtby
Binnington
Vasi

Those are the cup winning goalies since 2006. All basically homegrown except for Huet on the 2010 blackhawks and I don’t think anyone would say he was the key to that win.

Also Ward is the only Conn Smythe winner in there I think. Which adds to my argument that it’s generally not out of this world goaltending that wins you the cup. Yes, it needs to be good but you need the rest of your team to pull their weight.

Im down to upgrade any position on the team but if you’re gonna pay a hefty price then you better make sure you don’t miss, and paying big for a goalie seems to fail more often than it succeeds.

Last edited:

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Well sure… and we’ve had games where Petr and Ned have done that for us. Being a superhuman goalie has been proven to be a pretty non repeatable skill for the most part. And those teams who have those goalies don’t tend to give them up.

Bob and Price appeared to be those types of goalies and MTL and FLA paid through the nose to get/retain them. How are those contracts looking?

I’m all for a goaltending upgrade but it’s the most volatile position in hockey (maybe in sports) and as such it’s very difficult to sign/trade for a goalie who leads you to the cup.

Ward
Giguere
Osgood
Fleury
Huet
Thomas
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Crawford
Fleury/Murray
Fleury/Murray
Holtby
Binnington
Vasi

Those are the cup winning goalies since 2006. All homegrown except for Huet on the 2010 blackhawks and I don’t think anyone would say he was the key to that win.

Im down to upgrade any position on the team but if you’re gonna pay a hefty price then you better make sure you don’t miss, and paying big for a goalie seems to fail more often than it succeeds.

Giguere and Thomas weren’t drafted and developed only by the teams that they won a SC for.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Ward
Giguere
Osgood
Fleury
Huet
Thomas
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Crawford
Fleury/Murray
Fleury/Murray
Holtby
Binnington
Vasi

Those are the cup winning goalies since 2006. All homegrown except for Huet on the 2010 blackhawks and I don’t think anyone would say he was the key to that win.

I'm not advocating replacing Ned. I think he has a great future. Just stating he didn't get outplayed nearly as much as the other teams goaltenders stood on their heads. We got to Vasi in one game but unfortunately Petr got ran.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Giguere and Thomas weren’t drafted and developed only by the teams that they won a SC for.

Just meant they were long standing members of their respective teams. They weren’t acquired in some big trade or big UFA signing.

Thomas was a complete nobody journeyman and Giggy was acquired as a 23 year old. These weren’t top tier goalies with a proven track record.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not advocating replacing Ned. I think he has a great future. Just stating he didn't get outplayed nearly as much as the other teams goaltenders stood on their heads. We got to Vasi in one game but unfortunately Petr got ran.

Sure. That’s fair and I don’t even know how much you blame that loss on Petr. Our team and PK got caved in after going up multiple goals. Yes you want your goalie to stand on their head and shut everything down but not sure how stoppable most of those would be for almost any goalie.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Sure. That’s fair and I don’t even know how much you blame that loss on Petr. Our team and PK got caved in after going up multiple goals. Yes you want your goalie to stand on their head and shut everything down but not sure how stoppable most of those would be for almost any goalie.
Mrazek was not the problem that game, and Ned let in bad goals himself. I view them as equal going into this season as starters if the both came back.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Rento

Sep 20, 2016
Sorry to be asking stupid questions but please just explain to me.. many people have been talking about Tampa abusing the cap and they were over it.. i noticed that kucherov was LTIR to playoffs.. how and why have Tampa played the game considering the financial aspect? How is it unfair to others? I have been a fan of NHL for a long time, last couple of years havent watched much.. never been a fan of the financial bs that the teams take advantage of..

Or any other loopholes in any sports

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad