Hurricanes sign Rod Brind'Amour to 3 year extension

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes, Brind'Amour Agree to Three-Year Contract Extension

Will be curious to see if this kicks off movement in the coaching vacancy front. Speculation is already out there that Gallant was signed due in large part to Rod not being available.

Would also be interested to see the financials if those ever come out, his last contract was bare minimum and there are rumors that he was willing to leave a good bit on the table again to get some of his ACs better contracts.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Canes, Brind'Amour Agree to Three-Year Contract Extension

Will be curious to see if this kicks off movement in the coaching vacancy front. Speculation is already out there that Gallant was signed due in large part to Rod not being available.

Would also be interested to see the financials if those ever come out, his last contract was bare minimum and there are rumors that he was willing to leave a good bit on the table again to get some of his ACs better contracts.
He was specifically asked about the money in the presser

"I wouldn't have signed it if I wasn't happy with it".... And then proceeds to explain that "its about more than the financials. I feel like I am the richest coach in the league because I have a unique opportunity to have a special relationship with the owner and GM to allow me to put my stamp on this team".

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Seemed like a slam dunk but Carolina's ownership has been a little odd on this. Right move though - seems like a solid coach.
I mean I wouldn't overthink it. Both sides during the presser basically said this was an easy decision and we know part of this was getting his assistants a raise. Also, its worth noting that this extension was signed on the 17th, which happens to have been the number he wore as a player, which also happens to hang in the rafters at PNC Arena. Doubt that is coincidental.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I must get the vibe that Brindamour is a top coach in this league. This guy knows the game and seems like a great motivator. There was never a doubt in my mind he was leaving Carolina. He seems like a real players coach.

Reactions: AhoLottaLove

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

rLTtSJo.png

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Agree. We should go back to one of the string of coaches over 10 years that never got the Canes to the playoffs. That was much more enjoyable.

Depends on what the goal is for next season (and beyond), and whether the coach - the coach now being Rod - can help the team reach it. He's a really good coach, but this contract means the bar is raised for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Depends on what the goal is for next season (and beyond), and whether the coach - the coach now being Rod - can help the team reach it. He's a really good coach, but this contract means the bar is raised for him.

I really don't think this contract does anything to the bar. The bar this past season was to win a cup. The team wasn't good enough to do it and lost to the defending cup champs who also happen to have used a legal maneuver to be almost $20M over the cap. They lost to a better team.

The bar the next 3 years, the bar will be the same, as we all knew he'd still be the coach.

My point though, was that for 10 years, the team was terrible with no chance of making the playoffs. Now, they have a coach that has gotten the team to the playoffs (and 1 ECF) in his first 3 seasons and someone thinks giving him a 3 year extension is a mistake because they lost in this year's playoffs to a superior team?

It's nonsense. If the Canes had let Brind'Amour go for another coach HF would have unloaded on the Canes management team, and rightfully so. There's a reason why the Rangers and Kraken and probably a few other teams wanted Brind'Amour.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Paid 1.8m per year. Im really surprised how little coaches are paid... like Jesper Fast is making more....

There are reports that he took less money so that they could pay his assistant coaches a little more. If true, that wouldn't be a surprise to me considering this is quintessential teammate Rod Brindamour.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are reports that he took less money so that they could pay his assistant coaches a little more. If true, that wouldn't be a surprise to me considering this is quintessential teammate Rod Brindamour.
Plus Rod unlike most other HC who were former players made great money vs say a Travis Green, Brad Larsen, Lindy Ruff, etc. when he was playing.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Really only in the last 2 games, and by a much more talented and battle tested team. The Canes also weren't anywhere close to healthy. Since you seem to be an expert, let's hear who they should have hired instead?
He got out coached by Nashville's coach too, for 7 games.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean I wouldn't overthink it. Both sides during the presser basically said this was an easy decision and we know part of this was getting his assistants a raise. Also, its worth noting that this extension was signed on the 17th, which happens to have been the number he wore as a player, which also happens to hang in the rafters at PNC Arena. Doubt that is coincidental.

Everybody overthinks everything with Carolina. What was the tail number of the jet Rod left in AAAAAAAA

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad