Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes Sign 2012 5th Round Pick Brendan Woods

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...urricanes-brendan-woods-early-departures-wcha

Woods, who calls Yorba Linda, Calif., home now with his father, Bob, an assistant coach with the Anaheim Ducks, played a large role for the Badgers in their second-half surge to the Broadmoor Trophy as WCHA tournament champions. Nine of Woods' 12 points came in Wisconsin's final 16 contests.

The 20-year-old came to Madison with good size and big upside and has turned himself into a quality player. A two-way player, Woods can handle duties at both the center position and wing. Woods excelled as a face-off man this past season, winning .569 percent of his draws, which led the team.

That's now two picks from 2012 that have signed already. Sounds like JR is planning for at least a turnover in Charlotte after this year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I am still entirely baffled not only by this pick, but why we would want him to skip out on two years of development at Wisconsin to play professional hockey at 20 when he can't even score at the NCAA level. I know that not all prospects are meant to be scorers, but what the hell is this? 10 goals in 75 career games.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Apparently desperate for cheap help. Maybe building the plugger depth in Charlotte?

Maybe he's just a defensive prospect expected to play most of his career in the minors?

Not every role player signing is an outrage, folks. If this guy is good at banging bodies and playing sound defense, that too is a valuable skill in the NHL, it's not all about scoring. Right now our depth forwards can't score and can't play defense. They're nowhere. Playing great D and not scoring is an improvement over playing mediocre D and not scoring, isn't it?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am still entirely baffled not only by this pick, but why we would want him to skip out on two years of development at Wisconsin to play professional hockey at 20 when he can't even score at the NCAA level. I know that not all prospects are meant to be scorers, but what the hell is this? 10 goals in 75 career games.

Maybe, just maybe, they're not expecting every prospect to be a scorer? Role players have to come from somewhere too, and you don't really care if a guy who you want to play like Tim Wallace scores a whole lot. If he's already good enough to play in the pros doing what you want him to do, why not move him to the pros for a higher level of competition?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Maybe, just maybe, they're not expecting every prospect to be a scorer? Role players have to come from somewhere too, and you don't really care if a guy who you want to play like Tim Wallace scores a whole lot. If he's already good enough to play in the pros doing what you want him to do, why not move him to the pros for a higher level of competition?
And you never know how some guys will develop.

I'm not suggesting in the least that he will be another Sami Pahlsson but he was a later round pick who didn't score much but played great D and could win draws. He also was a Selke finalist playing a key role on the Ducks' checking line while scoring only about 25 points or so.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Why would you draft a guy who you want to play like Tim Wallace when you can sign such a player for nothing every offseason? Tim Wallace required a $105,000 commitment for his services. Obviously such talentless players are in high demand.

This was a terrible pick as usual. A mediocre grinder who was passed over in two drafts that we had to have. It's the exact same story with Matt Kennedy, who was so awful that they traded him a few months into his first pro season because they didn't want to pay the rest of his signing bonus.

Yeah, not every prospect has to be a scorer, but it would be nice if some them were. Especially when you trade your 1st round pick, spend your 2nd round pick on a small energy player, two picks on a defenseman and another on a goalie in the same draft.

About two prospects worth a damn in the entire organization and people are still defending this organization's elite ability to toss away picks on garbage. We've already traded our 4th and 7th this year for 20 games of waiver fodder players who do nothing. I'm excited to see how they can screw up the rest of the draft.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Holy overreaction here. Guy was a 5th round pick. Who cares if he isn't an offensive dynamo, if the guy can contribute even as a physical defensive role player he's a few steps ahead of the average 5th round pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe he's just a defensive prospect expected to play most of his career in the minors?

Not every role player signing is an outrage, folks. If this guy is good at banging bodies and playing sound defense, that too is a valuable skill in the NHL, it's not all about scoring. Right now our depth forwards can't score and can't play defense. They're nowhere. Playing great D and not scoring is an improvement over playing mediocre D and not scoring, isn't it?

I wasn't outraged. I agree with what you're saying.

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
This was a terrible pick as usual. A mediocre grinder who was passed over in two drafts that we had to have. It's the exact same story with Matt Kennedy, who was so awful that they traded him a few months into his first pro season because they didn't want to pay the rest of his signing bonus.

About two prospects worth a damn in the entire organization and people are still defending this organization's elite ability to toss away picks on garbage. We've already traded our 4th and 7th this year for 20 games of waiver fodder players who do nothing. I'm excited to see how they can screw up the rest of the draft.

Holy overreaction here. Guy was a 5th round pick. Who cares if he isn't an offensive dynamo, if the guy can contribute even as a physical defensive role player he's a few steps ahead of the average 5th round pick.

Yep.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Everyone knows if a player isn't one of those hockey rarities...the smurfy, scoring-dangler afraid of contact....then they obviously now-and-forever will be dime-a-dozen grinder garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad