Post-Game Talk (GBU): Hurricanes - Sabres 11.14.2019

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Every single time I see Vesey on the ice he is shying away from contact, falling and not pressuring anything. He is useless and either doesn't wanna be here or doesn't have the urge to play hockey it seems. How can management not see that and simply call up ANYone hungry?? ASPLUND? Anything??
I don’t think wanting or not wanting to be here is the issue. What you describe is just what he is. On the Rags he played a lot more and in more offensive situations. He scored more because of it. Think Girgs’ stint as #1 center for a frame of reference. He’ll never get near that offensive usage again and thus wont get numbers near there again.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Could be worse. We could have the Leafs cap issues. At least all of our cap issues dissolve once the season ends.

If we made the playoffs the past 3 years then the cap problems arent an issue. When you're a lottery team up against the cap, that's a problem. You think the problems disappear, but if Olofsson is as good as we hope, and Dahlin ends up being the player we hope, we are right in cap hell with the best of them. We lose Scandella and Bogosian but need to pay Reinhart, Dahlin. We are in trouble unless they can get Okposo to retire.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Every single time I see Vesey on the ice he is shying away from contact, falling and not pressuring anything. He is useless and either doesn't wanna be here or doesn't have the urge to play hockey it seems. How can management not see that and simply call up ANYone hungry?? ASPLUND? Anything??

I'd take Lazar over him any day even if this game was peak Lazar

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
This game wasn't decided on one call but what kind of Mickey mouse ref calls that horseshit?

A guy gets beat at his own blue line and just throws his head up like he lost some chicklets. You have to be a real f***ing moron referee to fall for that. Sorry but that was pure trash. Complete garbage.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
For as bad as we have been, I didn't notice we were only 2 points out of 4th in the conference/ 2nd in Atlantic.

Dropping fast mind you but a chance to pick up some wins in these next 3 hopefully (better be).

Need better goaltending. Better special teams. Better out of our top guys. Just be better.
We have also played far fewer games than other teams. If we could string together a couple of wins, we might not be too bad off

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It may have cost us but I like Reinhart's anger more than Eichel's sulking.

I mean I get it, it's a penalty. But crap are they only going to call "Brindamour" High Sticks** now?? How about the hooking and slashing in the hands that entire previous sequence??

I think that was what set off Reinhart. Carolina is committing infractions. It's just not the type that Refs like to call. it gets more frustrating when teams use those "uncalled" infractions religiously.

** I.E. High sticks that don't make contact or hit the helmet, but the player does the "I'VE BEEN SHOT!!" flop.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Good:

Risto was beasting all night.
Skinner was dangerous.
Erod and Mitts had moments.
Larry.
I thought the D as a group were solid.
There were things to build on tonight.

Bad:

A flukey bounce sent us into a tailspin again.
Hutton seems to give up a few of those loop over the head/shoulder goals.
PP: teams are pressuring us and we are not adjusting.
PK: I seriously don't understand what we are trying to do here.
Reinhart turnover on goal 3. Yikes.
Not a comment on anything other than tonight, but Aho >>>> Eichel.

Saw an article recently that suggested the Leafs may need to have "the Yzerman talk" with Matthews; a reference to how Bowman convinced Yzerman he would need to change his game if the Wings were going to become legit cup contenders. I think Hitchcock had to similarly do the same with Modano in Dallas. I'm not down on Jack, but he too frequently easily gives up puck possession in situation where simple and safe plays are the better choice. On the game's first shift, with little pressure, he blindly backhanded a pass to nobody from behind the Canes net and the puck was headed in the opposite direction. I'm not sure what our system is and if everyone is held accountable for playing it?

All in all though, I thought it was an ok rebound game. True .500 will keep us in the hunt. We need 4-5 points in the next 3 games.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Is it a high stick if your stick isn’t above the crossbar? What’s the rule? If a guy is laying on the ice and you accidentally hits his head, it’s not high sticking is it?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The better question is how could they see that and decide to give up an asset to get that player. Because this isn't how Vesey plays since he came to Buffalo; it's just how he plays.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
The better question is how could they see that and decide to give up an asset to get that player. Because this isn't how Vesey plays since he came to Buffalo; it's just how he plays.

You can just see it with the vacant look on his face. He's just not into it at all. Every once in awhile he does crack a smile. But he looks like a guy that's holding on and cashing the NHL check. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of Hockey in 1-2 years. He does have a Harvard degree. I'm sure he can easily get a 6 figure gig just showing up for an interview just like....

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Yes he does.

I'm thinking of our old friend GMTM giving away a draft pick for the right to negotiate to get him, and not getting him...despite the fact that he sucks ass.

Holy ****.

Well, at the time of that incident he was coming off a Hobey Baker winning season in college hockey without a game in the NHL, that was a different situation all together!

Reactions: Chainshot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
U : I’ve become so incredibly jaded against this team it feels like there’s no hope. This is 95% the same team as last season and the results are...the same.
I've been losing interest a lot earlier this year. The past 3 years have really left a sour taste in my mouth. The team was setup so well once we won Dahlin, then Botts...well...

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
U:
Our dmen do not tie up the man nor the stick in front of the net.
We don't crash the opposing net (sans the goal that tied it, which should be an a ha moment)
We can't win a face-off to save our lives
We overpass
We do these insanely dumb, blind, and behind the back passes to literally no one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yup, that was definitely a buyer's market.

It is when everyone uses their cap space. If they were looking to make a trade, it’s in June. Skinner was an extraordinary circumstance and should not be held as the normal roster shaping for any team. Yet we have people who the second week in July are talking about hey, we should wait… Because of Jeff Skinner. It doesn’t take a genius to look at when teams set their roster and use their cap resources. Yet our cap genius, so-called, backed himself into this corner and he’s about to be completely f***ed over when everyone comes off of LTIR.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yes he does.

I'm thinking of our old friend GMTM giving away a draft pick for the right to negotiate to get him, and not getting him...despite the fact that he sucks ass.

Holy ****.

Vesey would've fit in with the team Murray was trying to build much better than the team Botterill is currently trying to build. None of Vesey's strengths correlate to being useful to our current team.

But still, it's up to the coaches to be able to utilize the players the GM brings in. I don't forsee Ralph capable of doing that, and I don't think Bylsma would've either.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Oddly enough it seems like its people like Sheary and Olofsson going into the dirty areas..essentially our two weaker players.

Reactions: Chainshot

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I made a post last year about how if an E-Rod caliber player is getting 2nd line minutes you're not close to being a playoff team. And I was roasted for it.

I like the kid, but on a playoff team he's a good 4th liner, passable 3rd liner. As of this moment he's like the 5th best forward the Sabres have. Yes, we have guys that are developing who will hopefully be better than him some day, but right now?

This is a bottom 5 forward core at best, just like last season.

And I don't see any in season moves Botts can make to save the 2019-20 season. We're already over the cap. This coming off-season should be make or break for Botts with all the cap coming off the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad