Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes Re-Sign Chris Terry (600K/1yr, two-way)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723602

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with left wing Chris Terry on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Terry $600,000 on the NHL level or $300,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level in 2014-15.

That's a pretty heavy AHL salary. Didn't something come up cap wise with Keith Aucoin some time back with an AHL salary like that?

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Boychuk and Terry will both make the big squad this year I think. Boychuk on merit (cheap salary doesn't hurt either) and CT because no way RF will pay the guy that kinda money to play in the A. Just a hunch.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Didn't BP mention Terry the other day as a Checker who could make the squad? (or something favorable?)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This team needs help on the PP badly. I'm not saying Terry is the answer, but I'm not saying he couldn't help. There are worse options. Plus his shootout ability gives him something of a leg up on Boychuk, which is an area that we've been more infuriatingly terrible in than our PP numbers.

In fact, one could probably argue that these two guys in the AHL last season ran a powerplay that Carolina would be envious about. Who knows. Get them both in here and see if they can keep that going. There's nothing to lose.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
This team needs help on the PP badly. I'm not saying Terry is the answer, but I'm not saying he couldn't help. There are worse options. Plus his shootout ability gives him something of a leg up on Boychuk, which is an area that we've been more infuriatingly terrible in than our PP numbers.

In fact, one could probably argue that these two guys in the AHL last season ran a powerplay that Carolina would be envious about. Who knows. Get them both in here and see if they can keep that going. There's nothing to lose.
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...son_id=43&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ort=avgPowerPlayTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

kirkmullo = genius

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

And there was no way in hell these two were going to be in the lineup on the same night or even recalled on the same night. Especially with Boychuk in purgatory for reasons undetermined after playing admirably in a brief stint. Your PP is awful and you have a combination of players that scored like 32 goals in the AHL together and nah. Let's just see if Loktionov can come in here and make something happen with Jordan Staal and an 18 year old Elias Lindholm. Or keep giving our indifferent captain all the powerplay time he wants despite burning through even strength shifts with a steady coast from end to end. Jay Harrison on the point? Why not. Let's roll with it.

It could be argued that three of our better PP options were in the AHL while our PP struggled (Murphy, Terry, and Boychuk). I would be interested to see if they'd have the stones to put these guys out there if their play dictated it. With Jordan, Gerbe, Tlusty, and Ruutu all taking pretty regular shifts on the 2nd unit and doing squat it really is a question of what can we do to get worse.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
All together now, "....we like our group".:sarcasm:

But seriously now, why wouldn't we do this move. Chris is the proto-typical tweener who can perform excellently in Charlotte and contribute from time to time on the big club. I also agree with the comments about shoot out and powerplay help. It certainly can't hurt to experiment. Given the fact that the big knock on Terry was his skating, it goes without saying that he has really worked on that and didn't look at all out of place during his brief call ups. He's a great #13. Looking at our UFA's/RFA's we have some guys we likely should resign - Tlusty (of course), Boychuk, Shugg, Nemisz, Michal, Jordan, and Jordan Staal. I'd like to see us resign Hainsey, Bellemore, probably Brett Sutter, and maybe Gerbe. All the rest seem like toss ups to me and we should insure we don't have better options before making any sort of commitment. Guys like Palushaj, Flood, and even Blanchard just don't move the needle enough for me. I'd be much more inclined to bring back Kvisto or Rissanen if we have flexibility (but I think one of them signed in Europe).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Boychuk and Terry both making the squad, huh. New coach and new GM and the Canes are already better at developing prospects. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, a decent video on Boychuk. Seems like he's matured in his approach and outlook (although I think most of the comments about his offseason in the past were overblown). Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Not surprising, but not exciting. He fills a need as long as we don't overslot him, but I'm not too worried about that just yet.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Seems like he's the "if skinner gets injured" guy. Not sure how he gets a spot otherwise.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would hate to say it, but it looks like DrayBo just found himself in the nepotism vortex with Bill Peters being hired. I think there exists a very real possibility that we haven't seen the last of him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I've come around on both Terry and Boychuk. If they got anything close to the amount of time Bowman got, I think they'd show a lot more. It's tough for these guys to get called up for a few games a season just to play 4th line minutes. Not to mention they actually know how to enter the zone on the PP, to the point they look confused at what the hell everyone else is doing out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad