Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
really i just lost a extremely long and thought out post and it got deleted UGH it was about us moving justin faulk for a forward and about our roster in the future.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
who has the better upside. Lafontaine or helvig? Both have been talked about a little bit but i have heard alot more news about helvig but Lafontaine closer to pro ready. (extremely early in this thread) Best one at prospect camp not pro ready

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
who has the better upside. Lafontaine or helvig? Both have been talked about a little bit but i have heard alot more news about helvig but Lafontaine closer to pro ready. (extremely early in this thread) Best one at prospect camp not pro ready

I'm going with Helvig, but goalies are like throwing darts. Lafontaine looks like a guy who is at least 3 years away from even turning pro at this point, given that he's in a 3 way split with 2 not so good goalies at Michigan right now.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I'm going with Helvig, but goalies are like throwing darts. Lafontaine looks like a guy who is at least 3 years away from even turning pro at this point, given that he's in a 3 way split with 2 not so good goalies at Michigan right now.

What about callum booth i havent heardalot of people talkingabout him recently and what about Nedeljkovic being put in getting on the score sheet with a penalty and still making a 1.000 and 0.00 save % and gaa in his first game even tho we were losing 4 - 1

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Currently the difference is each's position on their respective teams.

Helvig is the undisputed starter with 41 starts while his back-up has only 9. Helvig also had the benefit of 2 prior OHL seasons with Kingston.

Jack LaFontaine is part of a "three-headed monster" goalie rotation at Univ. of Michigan (they each have 8 games to their credit). As a freshman, LaFontaine is low man on the totem pole. The guy who seems to be the leader in the clubhouse is Hayden Lavigne, a 20 year old freshman who will likely be battling LaFontaine for starts throughout college. Lavigne is a guy I would hope this team looks at as a potential undrafted signee.

One note on LaFontaine (not to downplay Helvig), but he's super quick for a big guy and very athletic. Sort of like a Nedeljkovic in a bigger package. Helvig is much more positionally sound at this point in his career. One shouldn't forget that LaFontaine played in the NAHL prior to moving on to college. The level of competition faced wasn't as stiff as Helvig.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying Helvig is probably a year or two ahead of LaFontaine.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What about callum booth i havent heardalot of people talkingabout him recently and what about Nedeljkovic being put in getting on the score sheet with a penalty and still making a 1.000 and 0.00 save % and gaa in his first game even tho we were losing 4 - 1

Booth was playing quite well for the Quebec Remparts but was traded to a pretty good St. John's team where he promptly started out very poorly. He has since played better and his stats are slowly improving. He's been a very inconsistent goalie his entire career, showing flashes of brilliance, only to follow it up with pretty poor play. My understanding is that he's depended on his athleticism for most of his career but has a way to go fundamentally.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Booth was playing quite well for the Quebec Remparts but was traded to a pretty good St. John's team where he promptly started out very poorly. He has since played better and his stats are slowly improving. He's been a very inconsistent goalie his entire career, showing flashes of brilliance, only to follow it up with pretty poor play. My understanding is that he's depended on his athleticism for most of his career but has a way to go fundamentally.

between the 3 of them who has the biggest possibility to be a bust and who could be the best to you. I liked the booth pick when we picked him but nobody has really talked about him in a while so i figured he was doing poorly or mediocre. I heard alot about Helvig but because he is a later round pick i thought he could have not as good potential but still become a halfway decent player and you guys talkedabout him cause he could have been a late round steal

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
goalies are such a crapshoot that you really don't know what you have until they are at least in the AHL. the list of goalies who performed great in juniors and couldn't cut it in the pros for whatever reason is massive.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So you are failing 2 classes and really think you have nothing better to do while in class than post on a hockey message board?

But he gets to practice his English by writing on these boards and gets to learn the great history of the Carolina Hurricanes ;)

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
But he gets to practice his English by writing on these boards and gets to learn the great history of the Carolina Hurricanes ;)

i know right but the thing is i do my work i just lose it or don't turn it in thats why im failing but i am learing grammar and history. there are some words i can't spell but i still know how to spell most words and what they mean. i don't get why we have to keep taking english all through highschool even tho we know how to read and spell. but now back to the prospects:laugh: and plus thos classes are boring

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
between the 3 of them who has the biggest possibility to be a bust and who could be the best to you. I liked the booth pick when we picked him but nobody has really talked about him in a while so i figured he was doing poorly or mediocre. I heard alot about Helvig but because he is a later round pick i thought he could have not as good potential but still become a halfway decent player and you guys talkedabout him cause he could have been a late round steal

If memory serves, Booth received some early season accolades and played quite well. I don't think he's a bust by any means. In fact, he's probably the guy closest to being in the discussion with Ned.

Right now St. Johns appears to be "all in" for the Memorial Cup, trading for both Julien Gauthier and Callum Booth. This is the type of situation that developmental talent experts look at very closely. Can Booth handle the pressure of the end of season push along with the grind of the post-season?

Next year is going to be an interesting one for the Checkers/Hurricanes, goalie-wise. My guess is that both Helvig and Booth play at least another season in juniors (I think they are both still eligible) and that Altshuller and Nedeljkovic handle the crease in Charlotte (something I didn't think they were ready for this season). Interestingly enough, Altshuller has somewhat outperformed Ned in Charlotte, but it appears that the team has more invested in Alex than in Daniel. Both appear to be too good for the ECHL and neither appears to be good enough (yet?) for the AHL.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

i know right but the thing is i do my work i just lose it or don't turn it in thats why im failing but i am learing grammar and history. there are some words i can't spell but i still know how to spell most words and what they mean. i don't get why we have to keep taking english all through highschool even tho we know how to read and spell. but now back to the prospects:laugh: and plus thos classes are boring

As somebody who has hired several recent college grads, your English skills are very much in line with theirs....that is to say, none of you seem to have mastered the King's English.

I could be a curmudgeon and reference texting and such, but I tend to chalk it up to the general decline of our civilization. After all look at the choices we adults had in November. If ever there was a textbook definition of "damned if you do and damned if you don't", I've not read one.

I'll now go quietly off to my cabin in the wilderness....

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i graduated from college 4 years ago but i choose to type like this on the internet as a stylistic choice

my england is actual really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad