Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Update (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well for one I strongly disagree Faulk is ready to handle the load alone as a top pairing guy, he absolutely needs help and wiz possibly could do that. Secondly, of course the price would have to right.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What about picking up a guy like Wiercioch from OTT? Still young, big, signed next yr for under $3M?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well for one I strongly disagree Faulk is ready to handle the load alone as a top pairing guy, he absolutely needs help and wiz possibly could do that. Secondly, of course the price would have to right.

Wiz could only dream of handling top pairing assignments like Faulk does.

He is a nightmare defensively and needs a smart, stabilizing partner. Put him with Faulk and Faulk won't be able to push the pace offensively like he has recently.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I never said he could handle any duty like faulk can, only that he could maybe help out. I wouldn't put them in the same pairing, not to "save" faulk from him as much as to hopefully create two decent pairings.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I never said he could handle any duty like faulk can, only that he could maybe help out. I wouldn't put them in the same pairing, not to "save" faulk from him as much as to hopefully create two decent pairings.

I see. I figure they'll still have Murphy and Liles so I doubt I'd choose to go for someone who plays like Wiz.

Would rather get Wiercioch. And he'd be much cheaper. I don't know if Hainsey can play with Faulk on the top pair all season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wiercoch would come cheaper, but he hasn't done much to convince anyone he's an every day guy yet. I'm a fan of his too, watched him in college. I'd like to acquire him but we need NHL guys too. We'll see who else gets moved by the deadline, would play into what we need for next season.

Wiz would absolutely make the pp more dangerous. He'd be our second best Dman. He's priced fairly. Just saying it wouldn't hurt. He's better than liles and hainsey, IMO.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fleury has 6p in last 6gp. Maybe he can get it going a bit.

From what I understand reading a lot about McKeown and Fleury the past few days, both of the teams that drafted them had a conversation with them about the role they see them filling in the NHL. Then they tried to convince the guys to go back to juniors and play that role, and work on the craft of being a defenseman. There's a ton of talent in Canadian juniors, but there's still a big gap and skaters like McKeown and Fleury can literally outskate their mistakes. But they won't be able to do that at the AHL and NHL levels, so their teams asked them to try to be a bit more disciplined, even if they don't really have to at the level they're playing at.

Make sense?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
From what I understand reading a lot about McKeown and Fleury the past few days, both of the teams that drafted them had a conversation with them about the role they see them filling in the NHL. Then they tried to convince the guys to go back to juniors and play that role, and work on the craft of being a defenseman. There's a ton of talent in Canadian juniors, but there's still a big gap and skaters like McKeown and Fleury can literally outskate their mistakes. But they won't be able to do that at the AHL and NHL levels, so their teams asked them to try to be a bit more disciplined, even if they don't really have to at the level they're playing at.

Make sense?

Bingo. It's why I don't put any credence into what people are saying about Fleury's lack of offense. He's not being asked to work on his offense, he's being asked to work on his defense, his positional defense, so that when he does come in to camp in another year or two he'll be better prepared to step in to a top 4 role.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
OHL coaches poll is out. Three players per category for each conference.

Canes prospects on the list:

Best Stickhandler (Western Conference) #2: Sergey Tolchinsky

Best Defensive Defenseman (Eastern Conference) #3: Roland McKeown

Best Puck-Handling Goalie (Western Conference) #3: Alex Nedeljkovic

Best Shootout Goalie (Western Conference) #2: Alex Nedeljkovic

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2015/03/18/ohl-releases-annual-coaches-poll

Dec 30, 2013
Since Tolchinsky is 20 now, does that mean he will be in the AHL next season? Or does he have one more year of OHL eligibility?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Watching UNH vs. Boston U.

Eichel is good. Also, lots of praise for Pesce (3rd round in 2013). Said he is the "stabilizing force on UNH's blueline"

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I never realized how ****** Colorado College is at hockey. 6-26-3...damn.

Slavin is only a sophomore now, but he's almost 21. I hope they sign him this offseason.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I never realized how ****** Colorado College is at hockey. 6-26-3...damn.

Slavin is only a sophomore now, but he's almost 21. I hope they sign him this offseason.

Levi, Schmitz, Rissanen, and Jordan all come off the books this offseason, and I can see us at most re-signing 2 of those guys. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Canes tried to get Pesce and Slavin under contract asap.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Is there any chance we try to sign at least one of Casey Bailey/ Drew Brevig/ Daniel Doremus/ Adam Helewka/ Jason Fram/ Kristian Nakyva?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It really amazes me how frequently these UDFA players go to Toronto considering how many have just gone there never to be heard from again. I know they have the success story of Tyler Bozak to pitch, but for every one of him there's about a dozen others that sign there and disappear into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad