Speculation: Hurricanes moving Skinner or Faulk possibly this time for real? (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Faulk is like Gardiner...flashes of brilliance with to many dashes of stupidity. If he was more defensively aware, i'd be all over it, but he's not a good partner for Rielly...and a Gardiner/Faulk pairing would be like watching Keystone cops.
You never know. Jack Johnson and James Wisnewski could be described similarly, but when we paired them they fit together like long-lost puzzle pieces. It's one of those "sure, they both make mistakes, but they're not the same mistakes" things.

Not that I think that's automatically going to be the case with Gardiner/Faulk, just that it's a distinct possibility.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
A bit off topic, but curious what canes fans think the value of Victor Rask would be right now and if there is much desire to move him.

I don't think now is the time for the Canes to consider moving Rask unless he's part of a package for a proven top 6 C, and why would another team do that?
  1. At some point in the not too distant future it's likely that Aho and Necas will be the Canes top 2 centers. But they're 21 and 19 yo, respectively. Until they've proven they're ready for those roles, Rask provides needed C depth.
  2. Rask has been playing hurt for a while and just had shoulder surgery. If that was a bi contributor to his decline in play, and the surgery fixes things, trading him now would be a great example of selling a player at his low point. Seems worthwhile to hang onto Rask until we see how he bounces back and is again playing at 100%.
Having said that, I'd certainly reconsider the question later in the season depending on how things play out with Aho, Necas, Rask, and maybe even Wallmark.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You never know. Jack Johnson and James Wisnewski could be described similarly, but when we paired them they fit together like long-lost puzzle pieces. It's one of those "sure, they both make mistakes, but they're not the same mistakes" things.

Not that I think that's automatically going to be the case with Gardiner/Faulk, just that it's a distinct possibility.
As a long time poker player, it's about making moves with he best odds. The odds that Faulk/Gardiner as a pairing working are less than favorable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs need a top 4 righty that can make a zone exit pass to get the puck to our forwards. Justin Faulk is that guy. When you consider he has two more years (iirc) in the 4's, he's a solid fit that way as well.

Sure, he's not as good as a fit as Tanev (who is almost a certain bet to miss 25-30 games with injuries) or Petry (who the Habs probably have no intention of dealing, especially to us) however just because he's not a shutdown guy, doesn't mean he wouldn't improve the defense imensely.

Connor Brown + 2019 1st Round Draft Pick + Dmytro Timashov/Eemili Rasanen/Ian Scott (depending on if CAR wants FWD or DEF or GOA prospects more)

Patrick Marleau - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson - Nazem Kadri - Kasperi Kapanen
Tyler Ennis* - Par Lindholm - Josh Leivo

Morgan Rielly - Justin Faulk
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev**
Travis Dermott - Ron Hainsey**

*I would sign a guy like Daniel Winnik to be the 4th LW to help on the PK
** Zaitsev and Hainsey are interchangable

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
New Jsrsey should try and get both of them if they can we need secondary scoring and he is a rental and we need help on defense anyway even though on the left side Faulk is an upgrade on right

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Leafs need a top 4 righty that can make a zone exit pass to get the puck to our forwards. Justin Faulk is that guy. When you consider he has two more years (iirc) in the 4's, he's a solid fit that way as well.

Sure, he's not as good as a fit as Tanev (who is almost a certain bet to miss 25-30 games with injuries) or Petry (who the Habs probably have no intention of dealing, especially to us) however just because he's not a shutdown guy, doesn't mean he wouldn't improve the defense imensely.

Connor Brown + 2019 1st Round Draft Pick + Dmytro Timashov/Eemili Rasanen/Ian Scott (depending on if CAR wants FWD or DEF or GOA prospects more)

Patrick Marleau - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson - Nazem Kadri - Kasperi Kapanen
Tyler Ennis* - Par Lindholm - Josh Leivo

Morgan Rielly - Justin Faulk
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev**
Travis Dermott - Ron Hainsey**

*I would sign a guy like Daniel Winnik to be the 4th LW to help on the PK
** Zaitsev and Hainsey are interchangable

The Canes have zero need for Connor Brown or a late 1st. Brown isn't beating Svechnikov, Williams, or Teravainen for a top-9 RW spot. Late 1st round picks don't help a team that desperately needs to make the Playoffs to avoid a decade-straight drought.

Teams can use the most recent actual trade offer with Chicago reported by a knowledgeable source:

Faulk + Skinner for 1st + Nick Schmaltz (50+ point 22 year old forward)

If your offer doesn't have an impact player in it then don't bother. Canes seem content to keep their guys.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Even though this keeps dragging on, I get the feeling Dundon is a man of his word when it comes to these sort of things. I just feel something will eventually give and some deals will happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes are playing it right by being patient. There's no hurry to trade either of these guys if the right deal isn't there. Canes can definitely use Skinner next year and move him at the deadline if need be. Faulk is signed for 2 more years so there's no hurry there as well. Fleury can be sent down to the AHL if need be and there are bound to be injuries on the blue-line anyhow.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
The Canes have zero need for Connor Brown or a late 1st. Brown isn't beating Svechnikov, Williams, or Teravainen for a top-9 RW spot. Late 1st round picks don't help a team that desperately needs to make the Playoffs to avoid a decade-straight drought.

Teams can use the most recent actual trade offer with Chicago reported by a knowledgeable source:

If your offer doesn't have an impact player in it then don't bother. Canes seem content to keep their guys.

Not saying I disagree with you, but it's foolish to say that any team has no use for an extra 1st round pick. Early or late.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Canes are playing it right by being patient. There's no hurry to trade either of these guys if the right deal isn't there. Canes can definitely use Skinner next year and move him at the deadline if need be. Faulk is signed for 2 more years so there's no hurry there as well. Fleury can be sent down to the AHL if need be and there are bound to be injuries on the blue-line anyhow.

The only hypothetical reason, to move Faulk sooner, rather than later, is the premise that perhaps his offensive stats drop off, if Hamilton takes his ice time, and opportunities away. Would the market perception of Faulk drop, if his stats did? Would his market value be higher, with two years remaining on his contract, than one year, or as a rental at next deadline?

You've got to make the right deal for the team, and get value back, but you don't want to wait two years, and have eroding value as well. Plus, it's a chance to improve areas of weakness, from an area of strength.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

well I would offer 2 impact player+1st+2nd for Skinner+Faulk
Kap+lilj+1st+2nd

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The only hypothetical reason, to move Faulk sooner, rather than later, is the premise that perhaps his offensive stats drop off, if Hamilton takes his ice time, and opportunities away. Would the market perception of Faulk drop, if his stats did? Would his market value be higher, with two years remaining on his contract, than one year, or as a rental at next deadline?

That's fair, but he's coming off an abysmal year right now, so the flipside is that he might be more likely to improve than get worse (his SH% was about half his career average). The year prior he had 13 ES goals and only 4 PP goals so he has shown he can score at ES and isn't solely reliant on the PP.

You've got to make the right deal for the team, and get value back, but you don't want to wait two years, and have eroding value as well. Plus, it's a chance to improve areas of weakness, from an area of strength.

Correct, but I wasn't saying "wait 2 years until all value is gone." I was trying to say that there is no need to make a move right now that might be a poor return because he's under contract for 2 more years. They can wait a few weeks, they can wait until training camp and teams have injuries or don't like what they have, they can wait til mid season, they can wait until the trade deadline, etc...

By all means if a good deal comes along, I'm all for making it right now, but if not, they have time on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->