Hurricanes Lounge XXX: The "Will I Stay or Will I Go?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I knew of the Davis drive location, not surprised they're looking at more but that's definitely good news. Competition is a good thing.

Yep,

Future Store Locations - Wegmans

Opening in 2020: West Cary, NC
Davis Drive and Airport Boulevard in Wake County

Future Sites:
North Carolina
  • Cary - Cary Towne Boulevard and Interstate 40 in Wake County
  • Chapel Hill - US Interstate 40 and Highway 15-501 in Orange County
  • Wake Forest - Route 98 bypass, just east of Capital Blvd. in Wake County

And Holly Springs: Wegmans planning sixth Triangle grocery store in Holly Springs

re: Durham. Wouldn't surprise me to see one up around Brier Creek at some point.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What, no plans for Durham? I'm shocked.

giphy.gif
That was my thought as well. I'm guessing that a Southpoint location would work quite well (old HH Gregg location maybe). But, unlike others I've had good luck at both the Meadowmont (Chapel Hill) and Hope Valley locations of the HT. So maybe there's not quite as much of a hole in the market geographically.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
My understanding is that Wegmans is currently planning 5 more stores in the triangle. West Cary(Davis Drive), Cary Towne Blvd, Wake Forest, Chapel Hill and I heard recently Holly Springs.

Nothing from their website yet about Holly Springs but I have heard this too from family that live across the street from the Shoppes at Holly Springs. The land that sits vacant near the IHop is being "reserved" for Wegmans.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Nothing from their website yet about Holly Springs but I have heard this too from family that live across the street from the Shoppes at Holly Springs. The land that sits vacant near the IHop is being "reserved" for Wegmans.

It was on the news a few months ago (and in the link I posted above, along with the same future store locations link you posted).

Wegmans planning sixth Triangle grocery store in Holly Springs

The family-owned, Rochester, New York, based company is planning to build a store in Holly Springs at South Main St. and Ralph Stephens Rd. in a new development that will include a Lowe's store. The Wegmans location was first reported by the Triangle Business Journal and confirmed by ABC11's review of plans on the Town of Holly Springs website.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So it seems you can use a 1/4 ratchet head (=6.35mm) to open (and close) windows that officially use the regular 7mm x 7mm opener handle that always gets lost.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
View attachment 260345

My target is 30 hour fast today, see how I feel when I leave work, might push it for another 12.

During my 90 day fast things where I've taken breaks from this site, part of it is full fasting (nothing but water) on Wednesdays and Fridays. ~36 hrs depending on your sleep schedule. First two weeks are hell, but it really resets everything and makes you feel real good (even if the evenings/nights are tough).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
During my 90 day fast things where I've taken breaks from this site, part of it is full fasting (nothing but water) on Wednesdays and Fridays. ~36 hrs depending on your sleep schedule. First two weeks are hell, but it really resets everything and makes you feel real good (even if the evenings/nights are tough).
I fast 16ish hours a day, my wife does 40 hours and then 24 on weekends.

this is my first extended fast, hoping to get to 72 hours in the near future.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Do you have any scholarly publications you know of the top of your head you can point me to? My first search brings up a plethora of sites that claim benefits or how to do it, but I'd love to see some data that is compared to just eating a healthy diet in moderation.
Delay don’t Deny (Dr Fung)
Articles by Dr Rhonda Patrick.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Do you have any scholarly publications you know of the top of your head you can point me to? My first search brings up a plethora of sites that claim benefits or how to do it, but I'd love to see some data that is compared to just eating a healthy diet in moderation.
Come on, man. Google "intermittent fasting research" and the top three hits are from Harvard, Johns Hopkins and NIH. Tons of research in animal models, human research is still playing catch up -- but it's not like this is fringe science.

Because it's Actual Real Science, caveats abound. But even among those who believe that it's "less calories and not when you consume the calories", it's acknowledged that IF is a healthy way for people to actually consume less calories when other mechanisms of "moderation" don't work.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If you only have time to read one Super Science-y thing, though, read this one.

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071816-064634

Lots and lots and *lots* of links to hard science -- 123 citations to fuller articles. The takeaways:

SUMMARY POINTS

1.Studies in rodents and other nocturnal mammals support the hypothesis that intermittent fasting and restricting the availability of food to the normal nighttime feeding cycle improve metabolic profiles and reduce the risks of obesity and obesity-related conditions, such as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and chronic diseases, such as diabetes and cancer. However, data from related human studies are limited regarding the positive impacts of time-restricted feeding (i.e., eating patterns aligned with normal circadian rhythms) on weight or metabolic health.
2.Overall, evidence suggests that intermittent fasting regimens are not harmful physically or mentally (i.e., in terms of mood) in healthy, normal weight, overweight, or obese adults.
3.It appears that almost any intermittent fasting regimen can result in some weight loss. Among the 16 intervention trials included in this review, 11 reported statistically significant weight loss.
4.Alternate-day fasting appeared to result in weight loss, as well as reductions in glucose and insulin concentrations, in the three studies evaluating this regimen. However, this fasting regimen may not be practical because it leads to intense hunger on fasting days. Modified alternate-day fasting regimens result in reduced weight, with reductions ranging from 3.2%, in comparison with a control group (10) during a 12-week period, to 8.0%, in a one-arm trial during an 8-week period (57). There was limited and mixed evidence for reductions in insulin concentrations, improvements in lipids, or reductions in inflammatory factors.
5.Research has not demonstrated that alternate-day fasting regimens produce superior weight loss in comparison to standard, continuous calorie restriction weight-loss plans.
6.There are considerable observational data on various forms of religious fasting, most of which suggest that these regimens result in transitory weight loss and have mixed impacts on other biomarkers.
7.Data are lacking regarding the impacts of intermittent fasting on other health behaviors, such as diet, sleep, and physical activity.
8.There are limited data linking intermittent fasting regimens with clinical outcomes, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, or other chronic diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
FUTURE ISSUES

1.Modified fasting regimens appear to promote weight loss and may improve metabolic health. However, there are insufficient data to determine the optimal fasting regimen, including the length of the fasting interval, the number of fasting days per week, the degree of energy restriction needed on fasting days, and recommendations for dietary behavior on nonfasting days.
2.Several lines of evidence support the hypothesis that eating patterns that reduce or eliminate nighttime eating and prolong nightly fasting intervals may result in sustained improvements in human health. Although this hypothesis has not been tested in humans, support from animal research is striking, and data from human time-restricted feeding studies are suggestive. Prolonged nightly fasting (i.e., restricting food intake primarily to daylight hours) may be a simple, feasible, and potentially effective disease prevention strategy at the population level.
3.Large-scale randomized trials of intermittent fasting regimens in free-living adults are needed and should last for at least a year to properly assess whether behavioral and metabolic changes are sustainable and whether they have long-term effects on biomarkers of aging and longevity. Future studies should incorporate objective measures of energy intake, sleep, and energy expenditure; assess numerous markers of disease risk; and enroll diverse populations who disproportionately suffer from obesity and related health maladies.
4.Recommendations for weight loss frequently include advice to eat regular meals to avoid hunger. Some guidelines also advise the consumption of snacks throughout the day. However, current evidence suggests that periods of fasting do not necessarily lead to overeating.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Neighbor Lee

Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Apologies for posting this question here, but does anyone know why I'm unable to see last night's GDT when i'm logged in? I can see every other thread but the GDT, no. Has this happened to others?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If you only have time to read one Super Science-y thing, though, read this one.

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071816-064634

Lots and lots and *lots* of links to hard science -- 123 citations to fuller articles. The takeaways:

SUMMARY POINTS

1.Studies in rodents and other nocturnal mammals support the hypothesis that intermittent fasting and restricting the availability of food to the normal nighttime feeding cycle improve metabolic profiles and reduce the risks of obesity and obesity-related conditions, such as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and chronic diseases, such as diabetes and cancer. However, data from related human studies are limited regarding the positive impacts of time-restricted feeding (i.e., eating patterns aligned with normal circadian rhythms) on weight or metabolic health.
2.Overall, evidence suggests that intermittent fasting regimens are not harmful physically or mentally (i.e., in terms of mood) in healthy, normal weight, overweight, or obese adults.
3.It appears that almost any intermittent fasting regimen can result in some weight loss. Among the 16 intervention trials included in this review, 11 reported statistically significant weight loss.
4.Alternate-day fasting appeared to result in weight loss, as well as reductions in glucose and insulin concentrations, in the three studies evaluating this regimen. However, this fasting regimen may not be practical because it leads to intense hunger on fasting days. Modified alternate-day fasting regimens result in reduced weight, with reductions ranging from 3.2%, in comparison with a control group (10) during a 12-week period, to 8.0%, in a one-arm trial during an 8-week period (57). There was limited and mixed evidence for reductions in insulin concentrations, improvements in lipids, or reductions in inflammatory factors.
5.Research has not demonstrated that alternate-day fasting regimens produce superior weight loss in comparison to standard, continuous calorie restriction weight-loss plans.
6.There are considerable observational data on various forms of religious fasting, most of which suggest that these regimens result in transitory weight loss and have mixed impacts on other biomarkers.
7.Data are lacking regarding the impacts of intermittent fasting on other health behaviors, such as diet, sleep, and physical activity.
8.There are limited data linking intermittent fasting regimens with clinical outcomes, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, or other chronic diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
FUTURE ISSUES

1.Modified fasting regimens appear to promote weight loss and may improve metabolic health. However, there are insufficient data to determine the optimal fasting regimen, including the length of the fasting interval, the number of fasting days per week, the degree of energy restriction needed on fasting days, and recommendations for dietary behavior on nonfasting days.
2.Several lines of evidence support the hypothesis that eating patterns that reduce or eliminate nighttime eating and prolong nightly fasting intervals may result in sustained improvements in human health. Although this hypothesis has not been tested in humans, support from animal research is striking, and data from human time-restricted feeding studies are suggestive. Prolonged nightly fasting (i.e., restricting food intake primarily to daylight hours) may be a simple, feasible, and potentially effective disease prevention strategy at the population level.
3.Large-scale randomized trials of intermittent fasting regimens in free-living adults are needed and should last for at least a year to properly assess whether behavioral and metabolic changes are sustainable and whether they have long-term effects on biomarkers of aging and longevity. Future studies should incorporate objective measures of energy intake, sleep, and energy expenditure; assess numerous markers of disease risk; and enroll diverse populations who disproportionately suffer from obesity and related health maladies.
4.Recommendations for weight loss frequently include advice to eat regular meals to avoid hunger. Some guidelines also advise the consumption of snacks throughout the day. However, current evidence suggests that periods of fasting do not necessarily lead to overeating.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cool, thanks.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Cool, thanks.

The 5 Stages of Intermittent Fasting - LIFE Apps | LIVE and LEARN

if you’re interested in trying it, the Life app helps track your times.

im down to 187 from 236, I’ve hit a slow down, but I may be entering the final lbs before I just won’t lose much more. I was aiming for 175.

weightloss is a side effect of fasting, after 12 hours you are in ketosis (fat burning over drive) after 24 hours you are in autophagy, where you break down proteins that are linked to Alzheimer’s.

the benefits of fasting though are being studied, I think your body needs the rest times to do routine maintenance and clean up bad and weak cells

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah honestly I don’t really care about whether the eating pattern matters at all (wasn’t doing it for health reasons anyway, just a bonus), all the ketosis stuff has a ton of conflicting studies but there might be something to it. But it is blatantly clear that if I don’t eat two days a week I’m eating 5/7ths of my previous calories (ok, fine, ~6/7ths, I eat like a madman the day after, stomach ache be damned). Humans tend toward extremes, and simply not eating once or twice a week and then living your life the other days is easier (for many) than permanently changing your behavior 7 days a week.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Apologies for posting this question here, but does anyone know why I'm unable to see last night's GDT when i'm logged in? I can see every other thread but the GDT, no. Has this happened to others?
I have had "ignore thread?" suggested at me occasionally, but this far I have managed a fervent "god, no! NO!" maneuvre to avoid it.

There's "watch thread" and "ignore thread" options near the upper page number selection. I guess the latter plays a part in it.

I don't know if it is specifically a sponsor option; we got buttons like in a cockpit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad