Hurricanes Lounge XXVIII: The "where's the rain?" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Anything over 50 hours on a regular basis than hopely you're self employed, upper management, getting paid time and a half, or in line for a promotion. Otherwise you're just working yourself to an early grave. Even still you might be. People in this country put status, jobs, and money ahead of health. It's one reason we are such an unhealthy nation in many ways, including mental health. The red headed step child of health, but arguably one of the most important.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Anything over 50 hours on a regular basis than hopely you're self employed, upper management, getting paid time and a half, or in line for a promotion. Otherwise you're just working yourself to an early grave. Even still you might be. People in this country put status, jobs, and money ahead of health. It's one reason we are such an unhealthy nation in many ways, including mental health. The red headed step child of health, but arguably one of the most important.

I forced a change after that stretch, improved some processes, and set me up for my promo this year. It's the nature of the beast during some stretches, but I'm never doing it to that extent again.

Agreed on all your points, but 'Merica.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I was in public accounting for a few years. Every busy season brought about 10-12 straight weeks where we were guaranteed to work 60-70 hours. At some of the more prestigious firms, the number can be more like 80-100. Of course, there was always the possibility of working those hours at any time of year, but you knew without a doubt that it was coming in winter.

I left five years ago. I do miss the variety that comes with seeing different clients, but those hours just weren't worth it. I'm making about 25% less than I would be if I had stayed in and worked my way up, but everything else about my life is much better than it was in those days. It's worth the lost income to be in a better mental state and have time for my family and friends.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
There comes a time of diminishing returns if you're working yourself to death. Not only for you, but for those that care about you, and expect care/love from you in return. Hopefully it means more income (heaven forbid it doesn't), but if the income is costing you your life, relationships or mental well being you have to ask yourself what is the dollar amount that makes that ok. Is there a dollar amount that makes that ok. I have 2 family members that are executives. One keeps balance, makes a good living, but also has learned when to step back, and enjoy time with her friends, & family.

The other, the most wealthy of the 2, is the most driven person I've ever met. He works all the time. He thinks about work when he's not at work. He talks about work in candid settings. He's an asshole. He spends no time with his children, or grandchildren, and yes he'll leave them plenty of money, but no legacy of love or support. They were raised by their mother, and a nanny. The sad part is, people look at rich people with envy, and jealousy. They want to be like those people, but they have no idea the sacrifice, and toll it takes on so many involved.

Obvious that's an extreme case, but I've seen the decay that working, and money can cause first hand.

/rant

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The thing I love in my blue-collar factory job that is set as uninterrupted three shift ("five shift") model is that the division to the work time and my own time is absolutely clear cut. If I do OT, and I do do OT, I get paid for every hour, and when my shift ends there comes the other guy to continue from that point. The problems I leave behind get solved by the next shift's guy, and I don't ever know what the next day's problems are gonna be, so I can't even use my own time wallowing and thinking about them.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I was in public accounting for a few years. Every busy season brought about 10-12 straight weeks where we were guaranteed to work 60-70 hours. At some of the more prestigious firms, the number can be more like 80-100. Of course, there was always the possibility of working those hours at any time of year, but you knew without a doubt that it was coming in winter.

I left five years ago. I do miss the variety that comes with seeing different clients, but those hours just weren't worth it. I'm making about 25% less than I would be if I had stayed in and worked my way up, but everything else about my life is much better than it was in those days. It's worth the lost income to be in a better mental state and have time for my family and friends.

I knew I didn't like you for some reason.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
There comes a time of diminishing returns if you're working yourself to death. Not only for you, but for those that care about you, and expect care/love from you in return. Hopefully it means more income (heaven forbid it doesn't), but if the income is costing you your life, relationships or mental well being you have to ask yourself what is the dollar amount that makes that ok. Is there a dollar amount that makes that ok. I have 2 family members that are executives. One keeps balance, makes a good living, but also has learned when to step back, and enjoy time with her friends, & family.

The other, the most wealthy of the 2, is the most driven person I've ever met. He works all the time. He thinks about work when he's not at work. He talks about work in candid settings. He's an *******. He spends no time with his children, or grandchildren, and yes he'll leave them plenty of money, but no legacy of love or support. They were raised by their mother, and a nanny. The sad part is, people look at rich people with envy, and jealousy. They want to be like those people, but they have no idea the sacrifice, and toll it takes on so many involved.

Obvious that's an extreme case, but I've seen the decay that working, and money can cause first hand.

/rant

Well said. :clap:

Dec 30, 2013
I'm working 10 hours days four days a week, I'll probably take Wednesdays off for the foreseeable future unless I want to go somewhere over the weekend.

Once I'm eligible I'll probably make it four 11 hour days and take a week off every quarter without using vacation days.

One summer I was working 16 hour days five days a week and picking up another 20 hours over the weekend. Never doing that to myself again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad