Hurricanes Lounge XXVII: BURN THE NEW SERVERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just curious: do you find that you have issues with your current bandwidth, and if so, what is the up/down?
I guess I should also say I’m relocating, so I am starting fresh. Right now at my parents house I seem to be getting anywhere from 50 down/17 up to 100 down/9 up. I don’t monitor it very frequently though, and the first set of data was from just now. They don’t use the internet that much I would say. I don’t know what their plan is set at either. Twitch has a quality setting of “auto” that I typically use, and I do occasionally notice quality drop off from 1080p to pretty poor quality. It also takes me hours to download games on my PS4

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
honestly it sounds like getting a gigabit connection might be overkill for your needs. the bottleneck for ps4 game downloading might not even be on your end, and twitch might bump into a lower quality for a minute or two here and there for reasons completely unrelated to your connection speed. something else to keep in mind is that unless you're hard-wired into your modem/router, you might not be able to take advantage of that speed over wifi without dropping $400 on a fancy mesh wireless setup.

Dec 30, 2013
Anyone here have experience with Gigabit internet? I’m trying to choose between that and 300Mbps, and I’m thinking 1000 would be wayyyyy overkill. Maybe even 300 is

Main internet usage:
-Twitch streams. I watch a LOT of streams. Pretty much constantly at all hours. Primarily on tablets, but sometimes through console apps as well. Who knows, maybe I’ll even watch two streams at the same time :laugh:
-Netflix/HBO/Gamecenter Live streaming
-Occasional online video gaming and video game downloads

But in the end, I’ll be the only user of the internet, and my usage can only be so high. Any insight or experience you guys can offer would be helpful!

Since you're living alone, 300Mbps should be plenty. If you're by yourself, the only reason I could see you getting much benefit from a gigabit connection would be if you are hosting a server which others have access to, or which you are downloading/uploading multiple terabytes to/from fairly regularly.

I was on a 200Mbps connection which recently got boosted to 300Mbps as a free upgrade. I have noticed no benefits, and am pretty regularly streaming two-three things at once. Additionally, I've got around 20 terabytes of data, and I pretty regularly add to that. It's *very* rare for my connection to come close to maxing out.

Netflix and Amazon recommend 25Mbps for a 4K stream if I recall correctly. So let's say you have three 4K monitors you want to stream 4K content to. That would be 75Mbps, which would leave plenty of bandwidth available for other devices.

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the help guys! It definitely sounds like gigabit is too much. I think I’ll start at 100 and upgrade to 300 if I notice any restrictions in quality.

Obviously you won't wifi except of portable devices. You'll use at least Cat 5.e ethernet cord of correct length for every fixedly set device in the house.
Haha, doubtful if I’m being honest. I know wired is the best but I’m too much of a slob to properly manage cords

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Thanks for the help guys! It definitely sounds like gigabit is too much. I think I’ll start at 100 and upgrade to 300 if I notice any restrictions in quality.

Haha, doubtful if I’m being honest. I know wired is the best but I’m too much of a slob to properly manage cords

As others have alluded to, you won't get close to a gig unless you're on a wired connection. BUT if you have even one device that is wired, you can achieve close to a gig inexpensively, and it's really nice when you have to download a large file/game etc. Having multiple devices streaming at once on wireless will ultimately be limited by your wireless equipment, and setup not your allotted bandwidth. I have a gig connection but I'm a bit of a network geek, and have the necessary gear to take advantage of it, to a point, and most of the time a gig is overkill for me. I will say It's fun to see a 30GB download happen in 5 minutes or less.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As others have alluded to, you won't get close to a gig unless you're on a wired connection. BUT if you have even one device that is wired, you can achieve close to a gig inexpensively, and it's really nice when you have to download a large file/game etc. Having multiple devices streaming at once on wireless will ultimately be limited by your wireless equipment, and setup not your allotted bandwidth. I have a gig connection but I'm a bit of a network geek, and have the necessary gear to take advantage of it, to a point, and most of the time a gig is overkill for me. I will say It's fun to see a 30GB download happen in 5 minutes or less.

Now I wish I had used the word 'bottleneck' with appropriate explanations. I have no idea what the latest consumer wifi standards can do, but my personal experience with recent wifi router, older mobile phone and very older laptop is that I can get only ~30Mbps over wifi while the internet connection is legitly capable for the promised 100Mbps.

Obsolete gear is one big reason why I went for Gigabit capable ethernet setup upon getting the fibre connection.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Now I wish I had used the word 'bottleneck' with appropriate explanations. I have no idea what the latest consumer wifi standards can do, but my personal experience with recent wifi router, older mobile phone and very older laptop is that I can get only ~30Mbps over wifi while the internet connection is legitly capable for the promised 100Mbps.

Obsolete gear is one big reason why I went for Gigabit capable ethernet setup upon getting the fibre connection.

The latest wifi standard is AC Wave 2, with some crazy high theoretical speeds that no consumer will ever achieve. That all get's complicated quickly, but at the end of the day real world-consumer wireless is still a half duplex medium, and is constantly evolving, and adding features to compete with a good ol' fashion full duplex ethernet connection. Nothing beats the wire.

That being said, depending on what router you have, it sounds like your bottleneck is the wireless stations (ie phone, laptop) and probably not the router. You should easily hit 100 mbps on even the 2.4ghz, but most definitely with 5 ghz.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That being said, depending on what router you have, it sounds like your bottleneck is the wireless stations (ie phone, laptop) and probably not the router. You should easily hit 100 mbps on even the 2.4ghz, but most definitely with 5 ghz.
Yes, absolutely, my devices are 802.11 b/g/n at best, capable only to 2.4 GHz but not 5 GHz. The router is AC.

Dec 30, 2013
Or store it in S3 for basically nothing.

It adds up if you have a lot of data. The cheapest S3 option is $80/mo to store 8TB, and you'll also be paying to retrieve it. Glacier is a great option for cold storage though.

I do way too much uploading to rely primarily on cloud storage, but I do have around a terabyte in Glacier in case my computer and backups somehow get stolen or blow up at the same time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
"the flats look like a Scooby Doo ghost town" makes me laugh literally every time I hear it.

I like "our economy is based on LeBron James" because it's true. Now I guess it's up to Baker Mayfield to resurrect the city again.

Has anyone else been getting those god forsaken amazon redirects again recently?

I have, and it’s getting my jimmies quite rustled.

Happened to me, but I cleared my history and it went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad