OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXI: Cinco de Mayo edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
When I actually did watch a decent amount of college football (which was middle school and part of high school) Auburn was my favorite team. Still is in some ways but, I don't really think my vote counts for anything seeing as how I don't really watch it much anymore.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
images

Dog days of summer....when does hockey start....

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was sad when Colbert left. But now Stewart's gone, and I'm at a loss. If I really think about it, over the last two decades, there's really no one on TV who has taught me more or had more of an influence on me than Stewart has.

Granted, that influence has left me pretty jaded toward the whole political scene altogether, but I get the feeling that's the norm in America at the moment.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
If you're not watching Last Week Tonight, you're missing out.

Agreed. I actually like its format better because rather than hitting the highlights and giving no more than two minutes to a given topic, he focuses on one that's utter BS and tries to blow the lid off of it. Yet he's equal parts serious and hilarious all throughout.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Agreed. I actually like its format better because rather than hitting the highlights and giving no more than two minutes to a given topic, he focuses on one that's utter BS and tries to blow the lid off of it. Yet he's equal parts serious and hilarious all throughout.

Yup, same here. And it's not always politics, so the variety is nice. I don't think I've seen one episode I didn't like.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If you're not watching Last Week Tonight, you're missing out.

I am, but it's once a week and it's often not as current as TDS. The benefit of the daily format is that Stewart and his writers were able to say "OK, here's what happened yesterday, here's the messed up part about it, and here's what ridiculousness Fox/CNN/MSNBC are trying to say about it."

Then they often follow that segment up with another minor piece you may not have heard about that's also ridiculous (where they use their correspondents field assignments well) and then an interview.

Last Week takes one broad topic and dismantles if, which works, but for many of the topics, there's no follow-up. He does his bit and moves onto the next topic the following week.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just took a glance at that thread not even knowing what it was/would be about.

(insert gif of Abe Simpson walking in and out here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad