Hurricanes hire Allen as General Manager

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Following the tragic loss of former General Manager Dion Ong, the Hurricanes announced the hiring today of the man who would fill his shoes; Trent Allen.

Allen comes to the Hurricanes looking to build off of a 47-win, 105 point season, good for fourth overall in the league.

"I'm thrilled and honored to be joining both the Hurricanes and the HFNHL," said Allen. "The HFNHL has a proud legacy and I look forward to contributing to it."

Allen is joined by Assistant General Manager Kurt Fulmore. Fulmore and Allen have been linked for several years in various minor leagues, and are currently Co-Commissioners of the Western Canadian Hockey League.

"I'm excited to be a part of the Hurricanes organization. This is a team which has proven their desire to be a winner and I feel myself and Trent bring the needed work ethic, determination and drive to push Carolina over the top and towards our ultimate goal of a Stanley Cup," Fulmore said.

Fulmore is expected to handle the bulk of the contractual duties for the Hurricanes, while Allen will work extensively with the scouting department. The scouts are the group which will see the first bit of work under the Allen regime, as the Entry Draft is slated to go on Sunday.

"It's to late to discuss a change in philosophy at this point," said Allen. "I'll met with the scouts tomorrow and get an idea on who they are looking at, but at the end of the day this is what they are paid to do and it'll be their show to run."

The team will also be busy working on resigning free agents in advance of the free agency period. The prime player on that list figures to be Craig Conroy. The 35-year-old center tallied 65 points in 83 games last year, including 19 in 33 games as a Hurricane.

"It'll be a busy period for us as we look to move forward with the process and keep going with the momentum generated last year," said Allen. "I think fans can expect a good season next year as well."

Hey all. My name is Trent Allen, as the press release above states, and I am really excited to be in this league. I remember applying year ago, back before HFboards was even on this style of board, which is many moons ago for those who can recall back to then. I have been involved with to many leagues to count since then, several of which I stayed in for years and years. My own league, the WCHL, has been running for just short of 4 years now and we are in our seventh season.

Outside of the sim world, I'm a father of two with another one due any day now and am a huge fan of the Los Angeles Kings. I'm even proud enough to type that on a public message board, so either I'm a hard core fan or just a nut case.

Kurt will come on when he has some time and comment on himself in more detail, but his sim league experience is basically on par with my own and he is also a father of one son. We are both from The Pas, Manitoba, Canada.

Anyone wanting to talk trade can do so with either myself or Kurt, though we both will have to approve a trade before we do it. My MSN e-mail is [email protected] and Kurt's is [email protected] It'd be a big help if everyone could add us and save us the effort of having to add all 29 other GM's.

We won't be doing any trades for at least a few days as we go over the team and decide on a course of action.

Once again, thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this great league and I look forward to taking a HFNHL crown home very soon.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Trent and Kurt, welcome aboard. I hope you guys do well with my former team. I hope you guys give it to the rest of the guys in the league like you have done with your WCHL teams.

For the rest of the guys, I know these two chaps and they are frighteningly good. They are both active GM's. Kurt is the smarter of the two. :P

Oh yeah one point of note Trent, you won't be able to get away with icing an AHL team like you have done in the WCHL. :)

I've definitely set both of you guys up with ok prospects in Phaneuf and Ovechkin. :)

Good luck with it. I hope to toast a cup with you guys soon. Thats if you guys don't tear the team down and rebuild it again. :teach:

If you guys want inside scoop on the league, don't afraid to drop me a line on my msn. You both still have it right? :)

chump06

Welcome aboard, you have taken over a very strong team regardless on whether you keep all your old boys. We are all deeply moved by Dion's tragic (HFNHL) passing, I am sure you will continue his teams legacy.

Don't let Luongo get you down...:snide:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Looking forward to seeing you gentlemen at the draft! Make sure to contact Tony Kapfenberger (Nashville GM) for your Chat id and password.

Doug Emerson
GM CBJ

[EDIT: Gaffney - was it necessary to quote the entire post just to say "Welcome aboard fellas!"?? :dunno:]

[EDITED AGAIN: Thanks, Sean - just givin' you the gears! :yo:]

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Welcome aboard!! Great first post and we look forward to having you guys as part of the league.

For any contract negotiations, you should e-mail the HFNHL's official player agent, Reggie Swingstein, at [email protected]. Details on format of offers and rules are included in the rule book off the home page.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Trent and Kurt, welcome aboard. I hope you guys do well with my former team. I hope you guys give it to the rest of the guys in the league like you have done with your WCHL teams.

For the rest of the guys, I know these two chaps and they are frighteningly good. They are both active GM's. Kurt is the smarter of the two. :P

Oh yeah one point of note Trent, you won't be able to get away with icing an AHL team like you have done in the WCHL. :)

I've definitely set both of you guys up with ok prospects in Phaneuf and Ovechkin. :)

Good luck with it. I hope to toast a cup with you guys soon. Thats if you guys don't tear the team down and rebuild it again. :teach:

If you guys want inside scoop on the league, don't afraid to drop me a line on my msn. You both still have it right? :)

I resent the term 'AHL team.' Dion.

It's definately more ECHL caliber. Maybe even UHL. ;)

I don't think I have you on MSN anymore, at least I haven't seen you on in a long time. What's your MSN addy again, so I can check or readd you?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Welcome Gents.

My team has risen from the dead about the same time as the Canes (we were 1-2 in the draft in '03, 1-2 in the conference this year).

Best of luck.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing you gentlemen at the draft! Make sure to contact Tony Kapfenberger (Nashville GM) for your Chat id and password.

Doug Emerson
GM CBJ

[EDIT: Gaffney - was it necessary to quote the entire post just to say "Welcome aboard fellas!"?? :dunno:]

LOL - probably not :D

Edit - is that better Douglas? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->