News Article: Hurricanes Extend Lease at PNC Arena for Five Years

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by MinJaBen, May 19, 2020.

1. tarheelhockey Highest Boss

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think it's a lot better for folks who go to games often and develop a preference for certain locations. There are some problem areas which can make for a bad experience for the non-regulars, particularly if they're not familiar with the flow of postgame traffic.

DaveG, Chrispy and hblueridgegal like this.
  2. Bunch of Jurcos The poster formally known as Hedley

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Expect a lot of five minute majors for fighting.

DaveG and LostInaLostWorld like this.
  3. AeroFishOne The Curriest of the Curry’s

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    As most everyone else like to see some more food/sport bar choices outside the stadium but one thing I really want is either a separate space for The Eye or an extensive addition. Our team ship is lagging far behind some of the others I see and it’s about impossible to by anything just before or just after game time. They are probably loosing a ton of potential revenue with the size limit.

DaveG and cptjeff like this.
  4. Sens1Canes2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Read - season ticket base, the most important people/fans to a franchise.
    I get your point tho.

5. the halleJOKEL strong as brickwall

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    biscuitville also

and cookout

skipnjump and cptjeff like this.
  6. Unsustainable Bunch of Jerks

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Ethernet
    I think they should utilize that exit on Wade Ave that connects directly into PNC.

MinJaBen and cptjeff like this.
  7. hblueridgegal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I wouldn’t mind a food hall setup such as the Hornets have outside their arena.

A PNC edition of the Glenwood Grille would be nice. Or a Snoopy’s for afterwards

HisIceness and CandyCanes like this.
  8. zetajerk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    STM here. I'd love a full size bbq restaurant built into the building and another convenient store on the 300 level like they have on the first floor.

DaveG likes this.
  9. CandyCanes Caniac turned Jerkiac

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If I recall, there’s plans in the arena upgrades to cut out something like 50% of the box office in order to expand the team store.

DaveG, AeroFishOne and cptjeff like this.
  10. cptjeff Reprehensible User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yep, and it makes sense. I think the last time I used one of the walkup windows was in something like 2008.

DaveG likes this.
  11. AeroFishOne The Curriest of the Curry’s

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah I can live with that.

12. HisIceness I miss sports

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I want to ride a monorail from the arena to the Wendys on Edwards Mill and Trinity, and then I want the monorail to drop me off at the DriveShack.

Look if Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Havenbrook can support Monorails then Raleigh can too. Get on the ball and start building lets go!

13. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Honest question from a Canadian who has never been to Raleigh... do people live around the arena at all or is it pretty much purely NC state territory and university students?

it looks like it’s only a 10-12 minute drive from downtown Raleigh, and maybe this is a stupid thought/question, but don’t you need to have some sort of decent public transit option to get people to and from? I can’t imagine that 15-20k can all drive or be walking distance, right?

14. Gocanes0506 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    State’s football stadium and the fairgrounds on one side, high school on the western side, highway on the north side, and blue ridge road and its many businesses on the side of the parking lots.

I would guess the houses on the other side of the highway, down edwards mill would be the closest.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  15. MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You've heard about us here in 'Murica, right? We don't do public transportation. We do cars and traffic jams.

It is the way.

16. Svechhammer 2 Flags 1 Cup

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There's a small community of houses past Edwards Mill on Trinity toward Drive Shack and there is a new row of townhomes/condos along Trinity near Duraleigh, but outside of that, not really. Everyone pretty much has to commute into the area for games. The good thing is that they actually have a pretty good system for getting people into and out of the area for events. On Edwards Mill they are able to flip the middle lanes to whatever direction they need to better control flow, which helps empty the lots a lot quicker than you'd expect. They also have some 'pressure valve' roads they open up for quicker exit after events, like the side road that dumps directly onto Wade Avenue.

What really helps with the location is that its right next to some major roads in the area. The complex is surrounded by Wade Avenue, Edwards Mill, Duraleigh, and Trinity. The only road that is less than 6 lanes across is Trinity. And believe me, you can feel that fact when you are directed to empty there rather than the other 3. That road, and the side roads next to it, back up badly after games, where you more or less get free flow through the others.

Reason I bring this up is that the infrastructure downtown was not created to handle traffic volume. The issues you see on Trinity would basically be every path of exit from a downtown arena. Without major infrastructure changes that creates heavy traffic solutions downtown, its a venture that sounds good on paper, but would be an absolute mess in practice.

17. tarheelhockey Highest Boss

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The key context is that the area surrounding the arena was designated as the NC Fairgrounds, way back when this stuff was all rural acreage just outside the edge of the city. Various government entities, mainly the state and NC State University, gobbled up that land before it was developed.

Very little of it was ever built upon. Just a few fairgrounds buildings, and then the University put in the football stadium back in the 60s. The rest of the space was held for parking lots and “natural” spaces.

As a result, we end up with this very large zone which is almost like a development donut-hole. Raleigh sprawled out and encircled it. So there are a TON of people who live within a 20-minute drive of the arena, but very few who actually live within walking distance. Public transit service there is minimal, because outside of event hours that whole part of town gets really quiet.

This is what makes PNC different from say a Kenora or a Ft Lauderdale. It’s very much in Raleigh, but has the footprint and feel of a suburban arena.

18. Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 102,500
    Put in a lot of parking decks while you're at it.

19. Svechhammer 2 Flags 1 Cup

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I mean its barely outside of 440 in a time where Raleigh is very much building up toward the outskirts of 540. Its every bit as close to downtown as Crabtree, and North Hills, and if it weren't for Umpstead Park preventing development directly North of the fairgrounds, the arena location would very much feel like it was in the middle of everything. I mean within a mile or two in every direction of the arena you have 440, I40, or Wade Ave in its small segment of not being I40, but still able to handle the load of I40. Its a perfect location for getting a lot of people into and out of the area in a small period of time. If they were able to widen Trinity to be able to use it like they do with Edwards Mill with the adjustable lanes, and also add a lane to Blue Ridge between Wade and Hillsborough and then add a lane to Hillsborough from Blue Ridge to Chapel Hill Rd, it would pretty much alleviate the traffic stresses after games.

And yeah. that area is prime for a population explosion if the state allowed the development to happen. As I said, its every bit as close to downtown as Crabtree or North Hills, with the added benefit of being on the way to downtown from Cary, Apex, Durham, or Chapel Hill. It could and would be every bit as dense if they tried to build it up like those other 2 locations.

20. Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 102,500
    Right. Which is what makes this area a unique goldmine, and why I contend that Dundon can get as much bang for his buck by co-owning this chunk of city rather than a downtown arena -- assuming that he can actually get a meaningful piece of this action. I have no idea how the Centennial Authority / state government / NCSU actually interrelate in all of this.

Honestly, move the Fairgrounds to Garner. Makes more sense there now anyway.

21. AeroFishOne The Curriest of the Curry’s

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I wish they would take advantage of the State Fair train stop during the season. Only problem is that a train doesn’t run that late and it’s a good walk to the stadium. Having something from there would be nice.

22. Svechhammer 2 Flags 1 Cup

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Underground parking like they have at North Hills would be something I would expect to happen with it. And really, I'm not talking about a complex that takes up the entire parking area, it would only be just in that gap between the two facilities that is already pretty much unused space. They could fit in a large merchandise/bar district right there without really impacting existing parking, and could end up with more parking spots than we did before, depending on what kind of underground lots they could make.

DaveG, Surrounded By Ahos and cptjeff like this.
  23. Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 102,500
    This is an obvious potential driver of commuter rail, which is happening in parallel. Makes a ton of sense. You could have shuttles running all the way from the station to the front door of the arena without even using public roads.

cptjeff likes this.
  24. Navin R Slavin The Artist Formerly Known as Hank Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 102,500
    Anyway, we're in the stage now where we can get excited about the possibilities. I'm sure we'll all be disappointed by the realities soon enough :)

25. Finlandia WOAT Bench Carr

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Which opens the possibility the push for a downtown arena is a bluff to move the Centennial Authority to the position of "stop kvetching for a downtown arena, here's a bunch of money and permits to develop this prime real estate, happy?".