News Article: Hurricanes Extend Lease at PNC Arena for Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I agree that it’s a good investment, but it seems totally speculative to think Dundon is going to suddenly become a Raleigh real estate tycoon. Are we drawing this from specific info or just imagining scenarios?

I wouldn’t put it against him though. Look what Jeff Vinik has done in Tampa, he’s put in $3 billion in redevelopment to revitalize downtown Tampa. Vinik is definitely a unicorn. But if you throw the right project in Dundon’s face, I would not be surprised one bit to see him be a player in a big redevelopment project in Raleigh. Especially revolving around the Canes.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I wouldn’t put it against him though. Look what Jeff Vinik has done in Tampa, he’s put in $3 billion in redevelopment to revitalize downtown Tampa. Vinik is definitely a unicorn. But if you throw the right project in Dundon’s face, I would not be surprised one bit to see him be a player in a big redevelopment project in Raleigh. Especially revolving around the Canes.

that was part of the MLS deal for Charlotte, they have to develop a section

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
10 years to figure out what to do next.

Also can't imagine Dundon trading back his shares now. You don't make this deal with an owner who isn't fully dedicated to the area.
Not that you can trust billionaires, shady pasts or not, but that does jive with what he always said about the out. At this point the only thing I was worried about was if he had some sort of hesitation to stay an owner based on the economy and pausing of the season. But you're right, this would seem to bode well for him sticking around.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Alright what's everybody's wishlist for development around PNC arena?

ApprehensiveUnhealthyElephantseal-max-1mb.gif

Want!

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Luke tweeted $ values folk for the out clauses in the new lease. Any out clause gives me PTSD even though I know they’re standard.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Alright what's everybody's wishlist for development around PNC arena?

We need a, if not a couple of sports bars with large bar areas for game days. Also, other decent food options sans alcoholic drinks that are worth driving from the hospital / local business to get lunch, that would also be good during game days.

I would also look at revamping the inside since a lot of the food will be handled pre game outside. I would look at using up some of the current food space to make a bigger Eye store. At least twice as big if not 3 times as big. I would bet most folks dont adventure inside (like myself) because people are butt to nut in there. Even if we dont add more merchandise we need to add more moving space. I would also add a smaller store near all the restaurants that would be open during the week. The one inside the arena would be closed until a couple of hours prior to the game. With that, take some of the random eye stores that are all over the arena and turn them into quick stop food places. Like bottles of water, beer stops, etc that are geared for the folks looking for one or two simple (non cooking required) foods that would be a quick grab and go. Near the exits of the area to allow them to get back to the action. We could even use those as a hub / staging area for ushers to bring your food to you. Get a mobile ordering app type deal where no cash is needed. The big restaurants can stay the same. I would take some of those coves we have in PNC and turn them into lounge areas with standing only bar top tables for people to stop and eat if they want. Converse about work, etc.

I would beg for that exit directly on the wade avenue side to be revamped. have a ramp (expensive) that curls over east bound onto its own west bound lane and then build a whole lane down the east bound side to all people to get on Wade with little issues. If we are really feeling froggy have the ramp that goes westbound have a quick offshoot to Edwards mill on the other side of the wade avenue light. So that lights there become less of a bottle neck.

Add in the previously mentioned toll road style parking system and we'd be on to something.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
But seriously, give me a bar district with a big plaza in the space between PNC and Carter-Finley. Do that, and people will pack those venues for an hour or two before Canes games as well as before NC State football and basketball games. Hell, it would be a great gathering spot for those who don't have tickets during an event as well as for out of town games. And as long as Centennial Authority and Gale Force is able to lease space in that district to whoever comes in, they'll be able to rake in money whether people have a ticket to the game or not.

I'm just sitting here imagining something like that Power and Light District in KC attached to the arena before and after a Stanley Cup Playoffs home game. The atmosphere there would be absolutely nuts. And don't tell me that it wouldn't be immensely popular for college students before any event in the arena, and a great spot for anyone before football games that might not have the ability to effectively tailgate.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
There is a healthy downtown vs current PNC location debate happening on Joe Ovies’ twitter account at the moment. Many good points made on both sides.

I am in the “not all downtown arenas are the solution” camp, and I rather enjoy not going downtown for games (coming from Holly Springs). One thing - do people realize that the in/out experience at PNC is pretty fantastic? I hope people get that. You can park so that your exit will dump you out exactly where you want to go.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The downtown vs. suburb debate is usually colored by the fact it's a decision between the heart of the city or the middle of scenic nowhere a la Ottawa and Florida. Extensive suburb development extending out from the city center means high land costs and zoning laws and NIMBY warriors all continuously push the arena further outward until there's nothing around. Raleigh is very unique in that it's 10 minutes from city center AND North Hills/Cary simply because the decades of suburban sprawl haven't built up yet, if ever.

I like tailgating, so I'd personally prefer they try to renovate PNC as long as that's feasible. But it's not my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad