Hurricanes extend Don Waddell

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It still seems weird that they didn't just sort all of this out earlier. Not bad-weird, just weird-weird.

“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be.”

Maybe it was Dundon building loyalty by letting his employee know that he supported him looking to better themselves. Or maybe he said, "Go out and get market value and come back and that's what I'll pay."

Who knows, but as usual, a big over-reaction in the media and on HF, which is probably what Dundon was looking for.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be.”

Maybe it was Dundon building loyalty by letting his employee know that he supported him looking to better themselves. Or maybe he said, "Go out and get market value and come back and that's what I'll pay."

Who knows, but as usual, a big over-reaction in the media and on HF, which is probably what Dundon was looking for.
Tom Dundon to Waddell this afternoon

giphy.gif

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

An owner using a process as uncontroversial as extending a popular GM to provoke a media reaction isn't exactly un-weird.

Having a GM vacancy come up this late in the year is equally as weird though, so maybe that's really what precipitated the whole thing. If Minnesota hadn't fired Fenton I wonder if they would have gone forward with the no-contract option.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Then why did it come to the point of him interviewing with another team to get one?
In a lot of businesses, it is extremely common for people to interview for jobs to get a sense of their market value and then to come back to their current employer with a number to match.

These threads do seem to do a pretty good job at telling us who here has actually worked a salaried job and who hasn't.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In a lot of businesses, it is extremely common for people to interview for jobs to get a sense of their market value and then to come back to their current employer with a number to match.

These threads do seem to do a pretty good job at telling us who here has actually worked a salaried job and who hasn't.
Which brings it back to the point that this likely doesn't happen in the first place if Fenton wasn't fired so late in the summer forcing his hand after Waddell interviewed elsewhere.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I don't really object to how Dundon handled this, but is the suggestion here that he planned to let Waddell go out and interview for other GM positions, get a sense of the market, and come back with a number to match?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't really object to how Dundon handled this, but is the suggestion here that he planned to let Waddell go out and interview for other GM positions, get a sense of the market, and come back with a number to match?

I mean there was a quote where he said “go and interview for it if you think it’s best”, but I’m sure the best case scenario for Dundon was to continue to pay Waddell less instead of more and for Waddell to remain happy, which is generally the best case for anyone in management. It didn’t work, and Waddell signed a contract.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Don't know why that notion is so farfetched to some, sportsball teams do this with minor free agents all the time

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean there was a quote where he said “go and interview for it if you think it’s best”, but I’m sure the best case scenario for Dundon was to continue to pay Waddell less instead of more and for Waddell to remain happy, which is generally the best case for anyone in management. It didn’t work, and Waddell signed a contract.
I should have been more explicit: is the implication that they didn't work all of this out earlier in the summer because Dundon planned for Waddell to do interviews later on?

I get that once the opportunity presented itself the rest followed from there, but there's no way that this was the plan all along.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I should have been more explicit: is the implication that they didn't work all of this out earlier in the summer because Dundon planned for Waddell to do interviews later on?

I get that once the opportunity presented itself the rest followed from there, but there's no way that this was the plan all along.

Agreed. I think the plan was for Waddell to be ok with no contract and just having a salary. Dundon wants to push the envelope and make changes to the way front offices are usually run, and as he got more information he realized that wasn’t going to be possible in this case (or, rather, that the upside of trying to force this change wasn’t worth losing his GM that he really likes). He adapted, and no harm no foul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad