GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils: And you all know, security is mortal's chiefest enemy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Brind'amour just doesn't know how to quit Faulk. It was the same with Staal, biggest contribution he made this year was to not play
IncredibleGleamingArawana-small.gif

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Everyone does realize Pesce was just as guilty (if not more so) for the 3-1 goal, yeah? Faulk got burned, but Pesce completely lost his man, who wound up being the goal scorer.

We've been saying for years that defensemen play their worst when paired with Faulk. Pesce has been unbelievable since Jan. 1 but he's minus-2 today, covering up for Justin Faulk all day long.

Hamilton leads the league in goals by a defenseman since Jan 1, and he's nowhere near the power play or the 6-on-5 situation.

These things are inexplicable for a team who's margin-for-error is basically zero. I'm not absolving the rest of the team, but if Justin Faulk takes a puck to the ear in warm-ups, we win this game. And it's about the third time the last three weeks that would have been true.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It sucks, but we can't win every game, even against bad teams. Getting 4 out of the 5 on the road would still be great. Just regroup and start kicking ass again.

I agree with this. And I actually said so before the game, on page 2 of this thread. But when it's the same thing, over and over -- fixable, preventable personnel decisions -- it is just *so* hard to take.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We've been saying for years that defensemen play their worst when paired with Faulk. Pesce has been unbelievable since Jan. 1 but he's minus-2 today, covering up for Justin Faulk all day long.

Hamilton leads the league in goals by a defenseman since Jan 1, and he's nowhere near the power play or the 6-on-5 situation.

These things are inexplicable for a team who's margin-for-error is basically zero. I'm not absolving the rest of the team, but if Justin Faulk takes a puck to the ear in warm-ups, we win this game. And it's about the third time the last three weeks that would have been true.

All that’s well and good, but

You can’t tell me that Pesce is blameless there. He lost his man, who wound up being the goal scorer. Had he covered the pass, Bratt’s options would have been either a shot against Mrazek, or a setup behind the net, neither of which were nearly as dangerous.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The lack of a reliable player to win faceoffs really was apparent in the last minute. Sure, Faulk was hot garbage this game, but it’s really hard to mount any sort of pressure 6 on 5 when you lose every face off in the last minute.

What happened to Wallmark in the last part of the game? Injury?

Reactions: Identity404

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The lack of a reliable player to win faceoffs really was apparent in the last minute. Sure, Faulk was hot garbage this game, but it’s really hard to mount any sort of pressure 6 on 5 when you lose every face off in the last minute.

What happened to Wallmark in the last part of the game? Injury?
Yeah, despite knowing Brindy will overuse Staal when/if he comes back, we're sorely missing his faceoff ability, and I almost want him back just for that (and his PK ability) alone.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
All that’s well and good, but

You can’t tell me that Pesce is blameless there. He lost his man, who wound up being the goal scorer. Had he covered the pass, Bratt’s options would have been either a shot against Mrazek, or a setup behind the net, neither of which were nearly as dangerous.

He lost his man because he felt he needed to go cover Faulk's man.

You can't tell me that you don't see his thinking? He's thinking -- and I think you know this -- "Faulk got dusted, his man has a breakaway, and I have to go cut him off." Obviously, in retrospect, he *should* have played it like a 2-on-1. But if he had, Bratt would have just walked in alone and we'd all be wondering why he didn't hustle back with more urgency.

Faulk getting dusted put Pesce in a no-win situation.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What a garbage play by pesce on that goal. He got so freaked by bratts speed he didnt notice his guy unmarked in the slot.

Exactly. Faulk got burned, and that’s not good. He half-committed to a pinch and it backfired. But the situation was still manageable, if everyone kept their head on a swivel. It looks like it would have been Bratt vs. Mrazek up close, with Bratt being pressured by Faulk. Could have still led to a goal, but a far less dangerous chance than what actually occurred.

Instead, we’ve got Pesce and Faulk collapsing on Bratt, meaning it’s a 2-on-1 with no one covering the pass option. That’s an easy goal every time.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Instead, we’ve got Pesce and Faulk collapsing on Bratt, meaning it’s a 2-on-1 with no one covering the pass option. That’s an easy goal every time.

So you're solution would have been for Pesce to cover the trailer and ignore the guy who just skated past Faulk like he was tied to a tree? Look, the only reason it looks bad for Pesce is that he forced a pass from Bratt. If he holds back, Bratt skates in alone for a breakaway.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So you're solution would have been for Pesce to cover the trailer and ignore the guy who just skated past Faulk like he was tied to a tree? Look, the only reason it looks bad for Pesce is that he forced a pass from Bratt. If he holds back, Bratt skates in alone for a breakaway.

We're not the only ones who watched Faulk get rag-dolled by Skinner the other night. Pesce saw it too. He knew he had to cover both guys.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He lost his man because he felt he needed to go cover Faulk's man.

He isnt covering bratt tho.

If pesce were facing the opposite direction, he could have played the pass, or played johanson, or even double teamed bratt. But since he's facing the net, he can't do any of these. He didn't see johansson so he's going to the net in case bratt cuts there.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Yes, in a 2-on-1 situation, the defenseman takes the pass and puts his trust in the goalie to make the save. Because if he doesn't, then you get results like exactly what happened.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
He isnt covering bratt tho.

He was trying. I think he thought Faulk was completely out of the play, and he hustled back with the intention of cutting off Bratt. I think he was a little surprised that Faulk managed to get himself back into any sort of position, but by that point, he was already committed and he ended up in no-man's land.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yes, in a 2-on-1 situation, the defenseman takes the pass and puts his trust in the goalie to make the save. Because if he doesn't, then you get results like exactly what happened.

I'm sorry, but debating the relative defensive awareness of Justin Faulk vs. Brett Pesce is more than I can handle. I don't know why people insist on "passing the buck" on our players who are obviously under-performing. But I guess we actually had people defending Scott Darling, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad