GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals 10/5/14| 3 PM| CSN

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Like I've said, I'm guardedly optimistic. Trotz seems to be exactly the right coach for these guys. A tough yet fair leader who will back his boys. We seem to have a good combination of veterans and young guys who provide a mix of skill and grit. The depth we have is encouraging. It's a long season with plenty of opportunity to suck, but I'm as excited for a season as I've been in probably 4-5 years.

I'm throwing caution to the wind. I don't forsee suckage this year. I agree with your sense on how Trotz fits.

The depth at both D and F is very good. The D is better than its ever been by far in the Ovechkin era. In fact I'd go back to 92-93 or 98 to find a group of D that measures up.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, all they're really missing is team chemistry and identity. If Trotz can establish a style and get them playing as a unit, they'll be a very good team.

They've got the top-end talent, they've got good depth, and they've got good defense and goaltending.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think all that is missing, is the team being difficult to play against.

That will go along ways to solving other issues, like inexperience at 2C.

It starts with giving a full effort. Finishing checks. Very basic things this team has lacked in recent years. A full effort goes a long ways in the NHL. Hard work can neutralize talent.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
We are much better on D, at even strength, forward skill and physical play.

Orpik is a big factor back there. Saw him crushing some guys and taking a few Steven's-like intimidating attempts (like the one on Semin) to hit guys moving parralel when crossing our blue line. Niskanen is much more physical than I expected as well. We need that.

We know Carlzner doesn't hit even though they are good. Green and Orlov hit ok.

Schmidt and Hillen are like Carlzner. Won't hurt a fly.

I too am encouraged by Trotz comments about the pack mentality and standing up for each other. Seems like a point of emphasis.

More suspicious officiating but the Caps, as they have done all preseason, were the better team at ES.

(Trotz+Burkovsky+Orpik+Niskanen) - (Oates x Volpatti x putrid D depth) = big time improvement

Alzner couldn't hurt a fly but Carlson is actually pretty physical. He's no Orpik but he'll make at least a few physical plays a game and usually has a pretty nasty approach to skaters in front of the net.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Full effort, yeah. I think a lot of that is not floating defensively. Stops and starts make a huge difference often times...contesting real estate, not relying on stick checking, "positioning" and initial effort getting the job done. If they can find a balance between free-flowing with the puck and generally being hard on the puck in one-on-one battles they should be a much better possession team (and harder team to play against).

Carolina didn't really offer up much resistance but it's good to see them show some separation in a game. Still too many penalties, in part thanks to lazy battle level at times. That's going to be the harder area to clean up. Better possession habits shouldn't be that hard to establish.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, all they're really missing is team chemistry and identity. If Trotz can establish a style and get them playing as a unit, they'll be a very good team.

They've got the top-end talent, they've got good depth, and they've got good defense and goaltending.

They've got good bottom six depth, but I still feel like the team is missing the immediate scoring depth. Unless Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, or even Johansson can really step up to the plate, they don't have that Jeff Carter, Justin Williams, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrice Bergeron, or Evgeni Malkin on their 2nd line. Nor do they have that Norris-contending defender on their top pairing, as well-rounded and deep as the three pairings appear to be at this time.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
They've got good bottom six depth, but I still feel like the team is missing the immediate scoring depth. Unless Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, or even Johansson can really step up to the plate, they don't have that Jeff Carter, Justin Williams, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrice Bergeron, or Evgeni Malkin on their 2nd line. Nor do they have that Norris-contending defender on their top pairing, as well-rounded and deep as the three pairings appear to be at this time.

I don't think you are parsing the differences between a good team and a great team, which I am fairly certain nobody is claiming the Caps are. The Kings, Hawks, and Bruins are all legit cup contenders. And nobody has two centers like Crosby and Malkin. That doesn't mean the Caps aren't in a decent position to grab a playoff spot in the east and then see what happens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Full effort, yeah. I think a lot of that is not floating defensively. Stops and starts make a huge difference often times...contesting real estate, not relying on stick checking, "positioning" and initial effort getting the job done. If they can find a balance between free-flowing with the puck and generally being hard on the puck in one-on-one battles they should be a much better possession team (and harder team to play against).

Carolina didn't really offer up much resistance but it's good to see them show some separation in a game. Still too many penalties, in part thanks to lazy battle level at times. That's going to be the harder area to clean up. Better possession habits shouldn't be that hard to establish.

The question here is, and has been, do they have the guys in the locker room that can police the rest of the team when the coach's message isn't getting through? What happens when/if the honeymoon ends and, maybe due to a bad streak, some of the top guys start loafing?

What is Trotz going to do that the other coaches haven't done? Is there anything he CAN do, or does this need to come from within the player ranks?

I think it's the latter.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Glad to see Orpik playing well. While I'm not a fan of the AAV and term, he was THE guy I wanted in the offseason. I hope he holds up, because he's exactly what this team has needed for years.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
They're certainly not a perfectly complete team, but you could poke holes in the lineup of pretty much every team. 8-19 is really a wildcard. Those great depth teams of Boston, Chicago (who has similar 2C issues to the Caps), and LA don't have that lethal of a combo anywhere in their lineup.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I haven't seen Carlson be physical for what feels like 3 years now

I hope Trotz is preaching you cannot score from your ass to the charmin brigade, and that Orpik rubs off on someone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I haven't seen Carlson be physical for what feels like 3 years now

I hope Trotz is preaching you cannot score from your ass to the charmin brigade, and that Orpik rubs off on someone.
You'll enjoy this tidbit from Trotz' postgame presser:

(regarding Ovi's little skirmish with Staal after one of his patented cheap shots on Carlson)
“Absolutely the right thing for Ovi to do," Trotz said. "That showed leadership. It was all about team. The Carolina player cross-checked our guy and it wasn’t necessary. Ovi jumped in and I’m all for that. That shows great leadership and great unity. We’ll kill those off all day long.â€

Very refreshing attitude that's been missing for the last few years. I don't know if it was a McPhee directive or what, but I don't think we'll see much of the Caps skating away from scrums for fear of penalties anymore.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They're certainly not a perfectly complete team, but you could poke holes in the lineup of pretty much every team. 8-19 is really a wildcard. Those great depth teams of Boston, Chicago (who has similar 2C issues to the Caps), and LA don't have that lethal of a combo anywhere in their lineup.

I think the Caps are a team full of wild cards. Holtby can be a dominating goalie. He has stolen playoff games and could carry a team well up the standings ladder. Could.

Green could have a big contract year, particularly if Trotz is intent on using the defense heavily in the offense. Carlson could have a Norris level season. Niskanen could turn out to be worth that contract. Two of those would be enough.

Ov could score 50g's and Backstrom 60a's. One of Kuz or Bura could put up a Calder like season.

They could all just as easily not. Who knows. I guess that is the fun part. I have no idea if this team is a division winner or a lottery team. They could easily be either.

Vladiator16*

(regarding Ovi's little skirmish with Staal after one of his patented cheap shots on Carlson)

Very refreshing attitude that's been missing for the last few years. I don't know if it was a McPhee directive or what, but I don't think we'll see much of the Caps skating away from scrums for fear of penalties anymore.

Thats fantastic! Remember when OV would go after people if they took liberties with Backstrom? Somehow that sort of disappeared... it had to be philosophy that management/coaching staff professed, coz naturally if you see your teammate being ****ed with you'll just jump in without thinking. It's so awesome to see the return of "team" or "pack" mentality.
Didn't see this game, now i wish i would've...

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Carlson, Alzner, and Orpik are excellent on D. I have no complaints with them. My problem lies with Niskanen and Green. They aren't great defensively. Maybe Trotz can improve them, but they deserve to be on the third D line for now, if not out of the game. Getting Sami Salo would probably have been a better deal than Niskanen in the free agency period, it would've been much cheaper too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carlson, Alzner, and Orpik are excellent on D. I have no complaints with them. My problem lies with Niskanen and Green. They aren't great defensively. Maybe Trotz can improve them, but they deserve to be on the third D line for now, if not out of the game. Getting Sami Salo would probably have been a better deal than Niskanen in the free agency period, it would've been much cheaper too.

Salo is injury prone, and nowhere near as good as Niskanen. He was our best addition of this offseason.

Besides, Salo is 13 years older than Niskanen. Signing him would be a horrible move.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Could not agree more. Team-building 101. Love it.

Also, the refs can kiss my shiny white arse for the double minor to Ovie but not Staal anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovy's always been more of a turn the cheek guy when it comes to scrums. I'm happy to see Trotz and company would rather see more "in your face" even at the expense of an occasional penalty. They have to become harder to play against IMO and part of that is just being tougher overall.

Ovy always plays better when pissed off anyway. I hope Trotz keeps him fired up all season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovy's always been more of a turn the cheek guy when it comes to scrums. I'm happy to see Trotz and company would rather see more "in your face" even at the expense of an occasional penalty. They have to become harder to play against IMO and part of that is just being tougher overall.

Ovy always plays better when pissed off anyway. I hope Trotz keeps him fired up all season.

Not to mention that Ovi at 6ft3 230 lbs is strong enough to take on 90 % of the NHL in a fight.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Puck Moving Defenseman... who needs 'em!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ignore the fact that while defending is part of a defenseman's job its also the foundation of the offense. Offensive D make more mistakes because their job is more complicated. They are responsible for starting the offense going the other way. if the pass is bad, its either intercepted or just bounces away and back to the opponent. Nobody will complain if Orpik or Alzner ignores a potention pass to start a 2 on 1 and goes off the glass and out. But if Niskanen or Carlson try that play and it goes wrong, hell to pay. Heads explode of Green tries it and fails.

If you want to just stay in your own zone and play defense, you don't need quality offensive defensemen. If that is what you want, you must have loved Oates

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Strong enough, sure, but does he have any technique? I really don't know, Brads spoiled the best chance we had to see him square off.
The Dubinsky fight showed he didn't really have any...at least at that time. I'm guessing that's still the case.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
It's probably been discussed to death already but that video of Orpik lining Semin up by the blue line has stuck with me, forwards aren't going to be able to dangle with their heads down with him on the ice, I'm sure it may cost a goal or two over the season as it can be an all or nothing play but I think it'll put a bit of fear in the opponent, plus it looks epic when he pulls it off (can't think who but he absolutely ring someone's bell a few preseason games ago).

Hope Carlson adds some nastiness too, would like to see him lay some hits too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->