GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals 10/5/14| 3 PM| CSN

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Use your search function. We've done this to death, over and over. There are quotes from NHL coaches (including Trotz) couching the use of these stats along with the "eye test" that you loathe. There are links to articles that have analyzed the topic and concluded it isn't what you say it is. We even have a thread dedicated to it on this forum. Start there.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1727289

You are going through some major mental gymnastics.

You constantly harp on how bad the team is and how badly run it is, then somehow advanced stats are bad because the Capitals are one of 30 teams without a person in charge of keeping track of them?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You are going through some major mental gymnastics.

You constantly harp on how bad the team is and how badly run it is, then somehow advanced stats are bad because the Capitals are one of 30 teams without a person in charge of keeping track of them?

What the hell are you talking about?

That's a rhetorical question. I'm not really interested.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Advanced stats is not really proven science yet, it's really simple.

But they should be like that someday.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Sign O'Brien already.

Agreed why hasn't this happen.

Was at the game in section 103. Was the absolute best seats watching the caps PP.

Couple thoughts:

-Bura...real deal. Sick passing all over the ice and making things happen.

-Kuz... Thought he played well with the type of players like Brown/O'Brien on the wings forechecking and causing havok.

Though all the dmen were decent. Liked seeing some rushes when it was appropriate. Nikanen really reads the play well...active stick.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Now we know why Orpik considered the Caps offer. Semin was in the division on another team. Orpik's favorite after meal snack. Crushing Semin

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Putting aside how they've looked in individual games, I'm pretty bullish on the Caps at the moment because A) Orpik looks much better than I expected, B) Burakovsky, and C) The generally competent D at even strength.

The only real disappointment coming out of camp for me is that Kuzya didn't pick up where he left off last year. Well, that and 52 getting hurt AGAIN. Sigh.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Missed the game. Caught the highlight. Nicky was all over the highlight. Fair to say he had a good game?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Burakovsky passes the eye test. His vision and hockey sense are excellent, not to mention that wrister.

Kuz reminds me of a poor man's Malkin. He can be dominant with puck-handling and reach when he's on, but without the puck there's a lot to be desired.

You could see him getting in Trotz's doghouse from a mile away.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Burakovsky passes the eye test. His vision and hockey sense are excellent, not to mention that wrister.

Kuz reminds me of a poor man's Malkin. He can be dominant with puck-handling and reach when he's on, but without the puck there's a lot to be desired.

Without a doubt.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
For someone who's been loosely following the Caps, what's the opening night roster looking like?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eh. He's not a great forechecker and he doesn't take away lanes with his stick vs. D looking to outlet all that well but apparently he's been watching loads of video of NHL centers. They'll be patient with him and if need be he'll go back to wing. It would be tougher on Kuznetsov if there was a really high standard work rate established but at this point there isn't. IMO it's a good time for him and Burakovsky to work their way into the fabric of the team. As long as Kuznetsov has the right attitude he'll be alright. It'll be easier to remain patient if they're winning but if it's the fourth line for him initially that's manageable. It'll be up to him to play his way up the lineup and show he's reliable.

Creating that competition throughout the lineup is crucial. Improved forward depth and (at least when 52 is healthy) competition at RD helps provide some spark. Not sure of the peak ability of this group but the foundation of a team is coming along.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Eh. He's not a great forechecker and he doesn't take away lanes with his stick vs. D looking to outlet all that well but apparently he's been watching loads of video of NHL centers. They'll be patient with him and if need be he'll go back to wing. It would be tougher on Kuznetsov if there was a really high standard work rate established but at this point there isn't. IMO it's a good time for him and Burakovsky to work their way into the fabric of the team. As long as Kuznetsov has the right attitude he'll be alright. It'll be easier to remain patient if they're winning but if it's the fourth line for him initially that's manageable. It'll be up to him to play his way up the lineup and show he's reliable.

Creating that competition throughout the lineup is crucial. Improved forward depth and (at least when 52 is healthy) competition at RD helps provide some spark. Not sure of the peak ability of this group but the foundation of a team is coming along.

I actually really agree with you. Developing Burakovsky and Kuzya as centers is not a "win now" kind of move, its definitely something with a more long term goal in mind. My issue is when you have a player like Ovi, you're kinda forced into a win now mode. Especially when we've wasted so many years on "lets let our nuts ripen!". I just can't imagine Kuzya isn't more valuable in top 6 vs someone like Mojo, Fehr, or Brouwer.

With that said, I also expect someone to think that this is just more of the same "let our nuts ripen" approach. I feel this time they're attempting to be proactive vs. just hoping it happens. I'm not sure I'd call it development, but they're certainly attempting to put the work in to get these 2 guys acclimated to a higher value position.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
I just can't imagine Kuzya isn't more valuable in top 6 vs someone like Mojo, Fehr, or Brouwer.

Eh, I'm a Fehr fan (in all weathers), but I do like Kuzya top six over Mojo. I like him better than Brouwer too, but I'd be wary of a line as inexperienced as Mojo-Bura-Kuz.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
One thing I already love Trotz more then any coach since Bruce is that he applauded Ovi taking that double minor to stick up for Carlson.

"We"ll kill that penalty off any day"

Can't remember Oates ever saying that

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Way to go Trotz!!

Ovi would definitely been scolded to the media in past regimes.

Maybe there is hope of us growing a spine. A spine we have lacked since... maybe the Brashear days. We will never be difficult to play against when we roll over at any sign of physical play.

Trying to only make them pay on the PP is a recipe for failure. For it masks our teams weaknesses, simple 5 on 5 play. And secondly, we are not going to win a cup via PP goals. We simply will not get the PPs in the big game. We have to able to stand on our own 2 skates and it starts at ES. Trotz is better off forming a team first mentality, versus teaching players to be passive and turn the other cheek.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We are much better on D, at even strength, forward skill and physical play.

Orpik is a big factor back there. Saw him crushing some guys and taking a few Steven's-like intimidating attempts (like the one on Semin) to hit guys moving parralel when crossing our blue line. Niskanen is much more physical than I expected as well. We need that.

We know Carlzner doesn't hit even though they are good. Green and Orlov hit ok.

Schmidt and Hillen are like Carlzner. Won't hurt a fly.

I too am encouraged by Trotz comments about the pack mentality and standing up for each other. Seems like a point of emphasis.

More suspicious officiating but the Caps, as they have done all preseason, were the better team at ES.

(Trotz+Burkovsky+Orpik+Niskanen) - (Oates x Volpatti x putrid D depth) = big time improvement

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Green was even getting rough in front of the net and sticking up for teammates before he got hurt. This is clearly a team wide philosophy now. It's about time.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Green was even getting rough in front of the net and sticking up for teammates before he got hurt. This is clearly a team wide philosophy now. It's about time.

Agreed.

Despite missing Green, Orlov, Wilson, Latta, and Beagle we are still solid on paper and looked that way generally in the preseason.

I'm drinking the Koolaid for sure.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Agreed.

Despite missing Green, Orlov, Wilson, Latta, and Beagle we are still solid on paper and looked that way generally in the preseason.

I'm drinking the Koolaid for sure.

Like I've said, I'm guardedly optimistic. Trotz seems to be exactly the right coach for these guys. A tough yet fair leader who will back his boys. We seem to have a good combination of veterans and young guys who provide a mix of skill and grit. The depth we have is encouraging. It's a long season with plenty of opportunity to suck, but I'm as excited for a season as I've been in probably 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad