Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes agree to terms with LW Brock McGinn

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's had a decent season with them to be honest. 54 points (28 goals) in 68 games in the regular season, 4 in 3 in the playoffs.

Could be seeing time in Charlotte in their push for the AHL playoffs.

Plays with a bit of an edge, especially for a smaller guy.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Walker, the head coach of the Guelph Storm, said scouts chirp him about McGinn, saying "Why didn't you tell us about him?"

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Walker's response: "I did tell everyone about him, but Carolina stepped up and took him."

Will be interesting to see how he plays down the stretch for Charlotte.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'm not buying the hype.

Someone who scores well under a point-per-game in the OHL as an 18-year old is going to have trouble scoring in the NHL

Jamie McGinn had 46 goals and 89 points at the same age and is a third liner at the NHL level

We wasted a high second round pick on a future 4th liner (a small one at that) because Scott Walker recommended him. I'm sure "bloodlines" played into it as well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he ends up being in the same category as his bro in the avs then we got a steal, if he's a fourth liner then it's hardly a waste of a second round pick. How many picks ever make it at all? Any player that makes it at all outside of the first is a pretty solid pick.

I think he'll be a solid prospect.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If he ends up being in the same category as his bro in the avs then we got a steal, if he's a fourth liner then it's hardly a waste of a second round pick. How many picks ever make it at all? Any player that makes it at all outside of the first is a pretty solid pick.

I think he'll be a solid prospect.

My thinking as well, especially on the heels of waiting for guys like Dalpe to develop into skilled forwards. I'll take the higher percentage bottom 6er.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He's projected to be a checking forward, not a scoring one. Think Craig Adams.

Oh, the HF Profile, since no one has linked it yet.
Why draft such a player that high? You can find dozens of them for cheap as free agents every year.

And even checking line players need to score *some*. I'm not asking for 20 goals a year from our third liners, but a goal once a month or so would be nice.

If McGinn tops out as some waiver fodder 4th liner this is a bad pick, regardless if he's an NHL player and there's only an X chance of getting one in the second round. A team with a ridiculously bad prospect pool has no business making a safe pick on a limited upside player.

This franchise is a joke. There's no way he's selected if not for a recommendation from a former player.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Why draft such a player that high? You can find dozens of them for cheap as free agents every year.

And even checking line players need to score *some*. I'm not asking for 20 goals a year from our third liners, but a goal once a month or so would be nice.

If McGinn tops out as some waiver fodder 4th liner this is a bad pick, regardless if he's an NHL player and there's only an X chance of getting one in the second round. A team with a ridiculously bad prospect pool has no business making a safe pick on a limited upside player.

This franchise is a joke. There's no way he's selected if not for a recommendation from a former player.

Pretty harsh since the guy hasn't played 1 second of pro hockey. But OK.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
"There is no question that McGinn has the competitive demeanor to play at the NHL level. McGinn is not a skilled forward, but instead a hard-working player who is willing to get his nose dirty while making sure that he is shutting down the offensive players from the opposing team. His future is primarily as a third- or fourth-line checking forward who will be a thorn in the side of opponents."

Everybody wants to trade Chad but we just drafted his clone in the 2nd round. He's even got the "small but plays big" rep.

Maybe we can draft some more small, unskilled players high this year. Any 5'9 defensive defensemen that Trevor Letowski can recommend?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Why is the phrase "agreed to terms" used? I was under the impression that the ELC was set in stone, with the salary based on the draft position. Am I incorrect?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Why is the phrase "agreed to terms" used? I was under the impression that the ELC was set in stone, with the salary based on the draft position. Am I incorrect?

You might be correct for another sport.

ELC is limited- you can get up to a certain amount, but teams don't have to pay the max, and it's in no way related to draft position. There's also stuff like one way or two way and bonuses that can be negotiated.

For star players, teams will just put a one way ELC at the max limit of what they can offer on the table and tell the player to sign it, but for guys like this, not so much.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"There is no question that McGinn has the competitive demeanor to play at the NHL level. McGinn is not a skilled forward, but instead a hard-working player who is willing to get his nose dirty while making sure that he is shutting down the offensive players from the opposing team. His future is primarily as a third- or fourth-line checking forward who will be a thorn in the side of opponents."

Everybody wants to trade Chad but we just drafted his clone in the 2nd round. He's even got the "small but plays big" rep.

Maybe we can draft some more small, unskilled players high this year. Any 5'9 defensive defensemen that Trevor Letowski can recommend?

this one skates much better than larose does. hes a good prospect. where is that report from? here? the guys who do it for real under and over estimate the majority of the players they scout - and youre gonna put your faith in that? from what ive read he has exceeded expectations this year and is a fearless player. his brother has been fun to watch, and is essentially the player that forecast describes. youd love his brother on our team. people draft defensive defenseman in the top 20. they cant all be stars, and other than the top two or three few are being predicted as such. ill hold my opinion that any player you draft who makes your team is a good thing, and a second rounder that makes it as a legit third liner is pretty much a blessing. not sure youve really followed the draft.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
this one skates much better than larose does. hes a good prospect. where is that report from? here? the guys who do it for real under and over estimate the majority of the players they scout - and youre gonna put your faith in that? from what ive read he has exceeded expectations this year and is a fearless player. his brother has been fun to watch, and is essentially the player that forecast describes. youd love his brother on our team. people draft defensive defenseman in the top 20. they cant all be stars, and other than the top two or three few are being predicted as such. ill hold my opinion that any player you draft who makes your team is a good thing, and a second rounder that makes it as a legit third liner is pretty much a blessing. not sure youve really followed the draft.

Your right, don't trust the opinions of people here.

Trust the opinions of every single professional scouting agency that had McGinn going in the 4th-5th round.

The pick was a reach because of The Scotty Walker connection. There were much higher upside players still available. Just to name a few, Frk, Sissons, Thrower, Nieves, Pelech, Severson, etc.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not having seen the kid play, but reading scouting reports and the like, is Prust a decent comparable for this kid?

Small, hard hitting kind of 3rd/4th liner, I'm not sure if McGinn is the type to throw down, but if so they've got that comparison as well. Or is he more comparable to his brother?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad