Hurricanes accepted money in return for honoring the military

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
NPR story

From McCain and Flake's report, taxpayer-funded “paid patriotism†and perks in these contracts included:
• One 18 person suite for influencers and prospective applicants (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)
• Pregame access to one conference room to give a one-hour presentation for center of influence opportunities (FY2012, FY 2013, FY2014)
• One Hurricanes autographed team stick (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014)

*The item(s) in this list are a subset and may not comprise the full scope of the contract(s) or taxpayer costs.

Total payment over those 3 years: $75,000

Jun 13, 2010
NC
The way you worded the title made it sound like this was something unique to the Canes, when in reality 72 teams across every major league accepted money from the Pentagon to promote patriotism.

The only problem I really see here is why did the Pentagon feel the need to pay these franchises? It doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out that America already loves to support our military.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's not about appreciating the military, it's about recruiting kids. "Oh look, the military guy is getting a standing ovation from an entire stadium including my parents, and Eric Staal thanked them on the Jumbotron." Definitely on my list of things that are diabolical.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
The $75000 was for the use of a conference room, adverstising and signage around the arena.

All the other stuff the Canes do in regards to military appreciation are paid for by them or the players.

Per Mike Sudheim

"The items listed in that report, including a suite and the use of a conference room, were simply added value items for an advertising agreement with the Air Force. The key components that the $75,000 actually paid for were commercial spots, game-night sponsorships and in-arena signage," Carolina Hurricanes vice president of communications Mike Sundheim said in an email. "Our in-game recognition of military members, Military Appreciation Night and other programs designed to honor and support the large military population in North Carolina are sponsored by the team, its players and non-governmental corporate sponsors. This year, three of our players – Justin Faulk, James Wisniewski and John-Michael Liles – spent more than $60,000 to create a program that provides game-night experiences for military personnel and their families throughout the year. North Carolina is home to major bases for the Army, Marine Corps and the Air Force, all within driving distance of Raleigh. The tickets and things we do during games to showcase the military are reflections of our organization’s pride in the men and women who live in our home state and devote their lives to defending our country."

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Deny and subvert...

Everyone shoplifts, why you coming down on me?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The question is where the 'sincerity' ends. Does the hurricanes organization view "Troop appreciation" as a promotion? Is it different than Budweiser showing a soldier being reunited with his dog? If that didn't help Budweiser sell more beer, would Budweiser make that commercial?

The trick of course being even if you sincerely 'appreciate the troops' you still get the promotional value and helping advertise for the military. It all makes me uncomfortable.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Not really news. Everyone diss this I'm sure.

Only 6 NHL teams did this.

The $75000 was for the use of a conference room, adverstising and signage around the arena.

The report only goes back 3 years. The Canes have been doing this for years, and (maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe that they) did it much more heavily in the past.

The question is where the 'sincerity' ends. Does the hurricanes organization view "Troop appreciation" as a promotion? Is it different than Budweiser showing a soldier being reunited with his dog? If that didn't help Budweiser sell more beer, would Budweiser make that commercial?

The trick of course being even if you sincerely 'appreciate the troops' you still get the promotional value and helping advertise for the military. It all makes me uncomfortable.

Yup. And if you're in the stands when they do their "salute to the troops", you have no choice but to participate in their advertisement, because if you don't stand up and applaud, you're a no-good, unAmerican ******* who doesn't deserve to live in the United States of gotdamm America.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

The report only goes back 3 years. The Canes have been doing this for years, and (maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe that they) did it much more heavily in the past.

Yup. And if you're in the stands when they do their "salute to the troops", you have no choice but to participate in their advertisement, because if you don't stand up and applaud, you're a no-good, unAmerican ******* who doesn't deserve to live in the United States of gotdamm America.

As Homer Simpson wisely said - If you don't like it, go to Russia :sarcasm:

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Don Waddell just released a statement: "If fans would be more supportive of this terrible team, we would not have to be compensated by the Pentagon."

:sarcasm:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If they give the Hurricanes an extra $10k they'll change the goal song to the Party Possee's biggest hit "Yvan Eht Nioj"

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
They have honored policeman, firemen and military servicemen long before 2012. They've done that since they came here. The way I see it, if the government is giving stupid money away, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I've always mowed my grass once a week. Now the government's gonna offer me 75,000. a year to mow my grass once a week, it would be rude not to oblige.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

That number seems suspiciously low, but I meant my statement as in all professional sports leagues and I bet the NCAA does it as well.

As Homer Simpson wisely said - If you don't like it, go to Russia :sarcasm:

In Soviet Russia, money donates you!

If they give the Hurricanes an extra $10k they'll change the goal song to the Party Possee's biggest hit "Yvan Eht Nioj"

This is seriously GOAT :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad