OT: Hurricane Michael

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
everything is more or less in order with the plane i'm taking from yyz-clt this afternoon. it's supposedly taking off FROM clt in about 45 minutes. or at least that's the idea. probably going to wait until it's in the air before i go to the airport. this is an interesting way to get ready for a flight.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
everything is more or less in order with the plane i'm taking from yyz-clt this afternoon. it's supposedly taking off FROM clt in about 45 minutes. or at least that's the idea. probably going to wait until it's in the air before i go to the airport. this is an interesting way to get ready for a flight.

45 mins from now won’t be bad

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
With H.Matthew 2 years ago, a big oak hit my house. Two full-grown oaks were ostensibly sharing roots, the trunks growing apart from each other in the shape of a V, and one of them gave up. I was about 8 feet away from being crushed when it fell, and the resulting months of rebuilding sucked ass, but we got an upgraded house out of the ordeal.

Well, tonight at 11, after all the rain had stopped and the winds died down, the “sister” oak fell, but obviously away from the house. Still, hearing the cracks and the resounding “boom” of it landing brought back one very large, nearly tangible memory.

And then the power came back on.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
With H.Matthew 2 years ago, a big oak hit my house. Two full-grown oaks were ostensibly sharing roots, the trunks growing apart from each other in the shape of a V, and one of them gave up. I was about 8 feet away from being crushed when it fell, and the resulting months of rebuilding sucked ass, but we got an upgraded house out of the ordeal.

Well, tonight at 11, after all the rain had stopped and the winds died down, the “sister” oak fell, but obviously away from the house. Still, hearing the cracks and the resounding “boom” of it landing brought back one very large, nearly tangible memory.

I can relate, had an oak go through the front of my house in 2014. I was actually home with my son because he had a stomach flu, and fortunately we were in the other half of the house. It sounded like a bomb coming down on the house. Scary as hell. Fighting the insurance for the appropriate amount of money took almost a month, and repairs probably 2. It was a fun 3 months of our lives.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I can relate, had an oak go through the front of my house in 2014. I was actually home with my son because he had a stomach flu, and fortunately we were in the other half of the house. It sounded like a bomb coming down on the house. Scary as hell. Fighting the insurance for the appropriate amount of money took almost a month, and repairs probably 2. It was a fun 3 months of our lives.

I always find it funny that ahead of these storms everyone is cutting down the pine trees around their houses or worrying about the pine trees, but after the storms, all the news I see is the giant oak trees with their roots in the air and into peoples houses. I'm sure some pines do come down, but they certainly get a bad rap.

The 10 pine trees outside my house are still standing....

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I always find it funny that ahead of these storms everyone is cutting down the pine trees around their houses or worrying about the pine trees, but after the storms, all the news I see is the giant oak trees with their roots in the air and into peoples houses. I'm sure some pines do come down, but they certainly get a bad rap.

Yep.. That is all you hear. "I hate pines". I have 3, and one that is giant. That SoB didn't budge, and barely swayed with 50+ mph gusts. Trees with dense foliage are like kites if the ground is as saturated as it is.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I had a 25 foot pine fall on my house back during Isabel, but I'm pretty sure it was dead from the ice storm the previous winter and had 9 months to sit and wait for soft ground and wind to knock it down. Spiked a 2-3 foot branch into the master bedroom, which wasn't fun.

Much happier to be in a house that isn't surrounded by 20+ foot pines now even if they usually survive these storms well.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It sounded like a bomb coming down on the house. Scary as hell. Fighting the insurance for the appropriate amount of money took almost a month, and repairs probably 2. It was a fun 3 months of our lives.
Bomb...yes.

We have good insurance (USAA), but even their agent sucked ass to deal with. Her original estimate was $75K and we painstakingly walked her up to $170K...bordering on criminal. I kept thinking, "is this the way you treat all our veterans???", since USAA is a company exclusively for US military service members...though, I am not a veteran).

After the tree hit our house, we had about 20 trees (of different varieties) removed from our property. Every time I hear "I love a wooded lot", I always ask "how many years have you owned a house on a wooded lot?" :laugh: We're loving the reduced maintenance of constant debris in the driveway and lawn (tulip poplars are the worst). Oh yeah, and not being as concerned for our safety during these past two hurricanes...our neighbors still have giants that overlook our house.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We have been without power since 6 pm yesterday and no current estimates on when it will be restored. I feel very lucky that this is the only issue I have had in two storms where people have lost everything.
What part of the state do you live in? As far as wind damage goes, I've seen a bunch more damage from this past storm here in Durm this morning compared to what we got when Florence came through. Of course, I think for the most part, Durm got the best of the outcomes possible in Florence.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
What part of the state do you live in? As far as wind damage goes, I've seen a bunch more damage from this past storm here in Durm this morning compared to what we got when Florence came through. Of course, I think for the most part, Durm got the best of the outcomes possible in Florence.

I live in a small town called Franklinton. It's about middle way between Raleigh and Durham.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad