Huntington, WV. ECHL, SPHL, or FPHL?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
huntingtonprofessionalhockey.com

This website was recently brought to my attention and it made me curious. I could see this being a prime expansion location for both the SPHL and FPHL. The only reason I see the ECHL in this is historically they played in Huntington from 1993-2000. Not necessarily the type of location they’re looking at for the future but I think they should be included. Their arena, the Mountain Health Arena, fits 5600 for arena football and I’d imagine it is about the same for hockey. So what league do you think would take a go at Huntington?

Reactions: spencer02

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
huntingtonprofessionalhockey.com

This website was recently brought to my attention and it made me curious. I could see this being a prime expansion location for both the SPHL and FPHL. The only reason I see the ECHL in this is historically they played in Huntington from 1993-2000. Not necessarily the type of location they’re looking at for the future but I think they should be included. Their arena, the Mountain Health Arena, fits 5600 for arena football and I’d imagine it is about the same for hockey. So what league do you think would take a go at Huntington?

SPHL or FPHL would probably look at it if there was an ownership group, they managed to get a new ice plant because they haven't had hockey there is 20 years and would need one, and if there is some sort of verifiable market interest. You know, the three basic things all franchises need.

Honestly, if any league was going to go there, they would have by now. There is likely no interested ownership group and the arena would certainly need some upgrades to host professional ice hockey. Verifiable market interest is tough when they haven't had a sniff of hockey in 20 years. I definitely would not say it is prime expansion location.

Reactions: JMCx4

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I heard that there was an owner/group very interested in the Huntington market.

If they can upgrade the arena and improve amenities for both fans and players (which would be costly), and ensure that a team could be in the market, it may allow for the SPHL to consider, given the proximity to Roanoke and Knoxville (I don't count Evansville because they're all but dead, as far as I'm concerned).

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
There have been rumors of teams going into Huntsville since the Blizzard moved, and none of them have come to fruition for myriad reasons: The arena is a dump, the ice plant doesn't work, Marshall University is the main sports draw in the town, the town has a small population, it is located in coal country and isn't exactly doing well economically, and no ownership group is interested in losing their ass on a hockey team in a dead town. Remedy several of those, not the least of which being the arena and the town's economy, and there's a chance a long way down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Also the same source that showed me the website.
Yeah, about that website ... The "Quick Poll" appears to have been written by someone who went to school in WVa. "Would you like to see professional hockey return to Huntington? (Select all that apply)" ... :huh:
Quick Poll
Would you support a professional hockey team playing in the Mountain Health Arena in Huntington, West Virginia?

would you purchase a season ticket?
yes
no
maybe

Would you like to see professional hockey return to Huntington? (Select all that apply)
yes
no

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I was told by someone with connections to both the SPHL and FPHL. Also the same source that showed me the website.

Not nitpicking here, but your anonymous source showed you a website that:
1) Had been created that very day
2) Contains only a couple of poll questions and a link to sign up for email updates
3) Has no other contact information available

Also, did you specifically ask this person about hockey in Huntington (which would lead me to ask you many other questions, starting with "why would you think someone would put a hockey team in a building that needs an ice plant replacement?"), or did they tell you unprompted (which should lead you to many other questions, beginning with "why did they say this to me?").

Reactions: JMCx4

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
There have been rumors of teams going into Huntsville since the Blizzard moved, and none of them have come to fruition for myriad reasons: The arena is a dump, the ice plant doesn't work, Marshall University is the main sports draw in the town, the town has a small population, it is located in coal country and isn't exactly doing well economically, and no ownership group is interested in losing their ass on a hockey team in a dead town. Remedy several of those, not the least of which being the arena and the town's economy, and there's a chance a long way down the road.

Everything you said is spot on. Discussion of returning pro hockey to Huntington has intermittently reared its head ever since the Blizzard packed their bags for Texas. Jim Bermingham was there back around 2004-05ish talking about getting the SEHL/SPHL there, as he was coaching the Knoxville IceBears at the time, and had played for the Blizzard. Then the NPHL, which never got off the ground, had Huntington and Johnstown, amongst a few others, listed as charter members. After that, I heard by mouth-a source that I cannot verify- that the USHL kicked the tires on Huntington as late as 2015. This same source also told me that the ECHL never intended initially to go into Huntington in the first place back in 1993, but wanted that franchise in the civic center in Charleston WV. Somehow, Charleston fell through, so they kicked the team down the road to Huntington as a last resort rather than not icing the team at all in 93.

Had Huntington not had the Blizzard for 7 seasons, I don’t think they’d be a blip on on any hockey radar. The city has a terrible economy that somehow finds a way to just keep on swirling instead of having any respite of a recovery period. It is crime ridden and overrun with drugs, and most of the city looks like the bad areas in Detroit.
I can’t speak for the arena, as I played there in the 90s but haven’t seen it in a long time- at the time it wasn’t bad but not great either. It had short ice, and all of the seating was retractable, so 200ft could have fit in there if they removed the portable seating off one of the ends- capacity was 5,400-5,600, they didn’t need all of that- the place was half full on a good night after the newness wore off after the first couple of years. I think the city is in worse shape than it was 20 years ago, if they couldn’t support it then, I can’t see it working now.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Had Huntington not had the Blizzard for 7 seasons, I don’t think they’d be a blip on on any hockey radar.

You're absolutely right. That they had the Blizzard for as long as they did is largely due to the different economics of operating a team in the ECHL then. The salary cap was lower, there were a lot more day trips, and insurance premiums were lower. Those days are long gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->