Hunters to Philly, Kane to follow?

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005
...Writer Chuck Gormley wrote Sunday that "recently, rumours have swirled that the Flyers might be considering Dale and Mark Hunter as the club's next coach and general manager." They would replace interim coach John Stevens and current general manager Paul Holmgren.

Aside from the success the Hunters have shown in building a team from a low point, they also have a close relationship with Flyers president Peter Luukko. Luukko helped the Hunters put together the deal that enabled them to become main tenants in the John Labatt Centre. The JLC is managed by Global Spectrum, an arm of Comcast-Spectator of which Luukko is president. A Flyers spokesperson said yesterday that team officials haven't talked with the Hunters...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Philadelphia/2007/03/06/3703953-sun.html

What are the odds that the Hunters wind up in Philly? And if so (and assuming they get the chance to pick him) what are the odds they go with Kane at the top of the draft? Sounds like a bold kind of move Snyder would go for, and Philly perhaps gets the next American superstar. Could help the draft take some early shape.

Thoughts?

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
I'm not happy about this rumor.

Supposedly the Hunter's have ties with the new Director of Player Development, Don Luce - and he seems to have Snider's ear.

Transported Upstater

If the Flyers get rid of Holmgren, they'd be idiots.

Agreed. I think he's done a damn good job. They'd be fools getting rid of him this early, especially when he's made some very positive moves for the club.

Roger's Pancreas*

How a Rumor Develops.

March 5th
FLYERS TO REPLACE HOLMGREN?

CAMDEN COURIER-POST: Chuck Gormley yesterday reports of rumours the Philadelphia Flyers might fire interim GM Paul Holmgren and current head coach John Stevens and replace them with Mark and Dale Hunter, who managed and coach respectively the London Knights of the OHL. "The reason for those rumors is the close connection the Hunters have with Flyers president Peter Luukko. The Knights' arena, the John Labatt Centre in London, is operated by Comcast-Spectacor. As president of Comcast-Spectacor Luukko has forged a business relationship with the Hunter brothers, agreeing to bring the Flyers to London for preseason games in recent years." Flyers chairman Ed Snider denied the team is courting the Hunters or seeking other replacements for Holmgren and Stevens.

Spector's Note: The jury is out regarding Stevens's ability to coach at the NHL level, although to be fair he was brought into a difficult situation and deserves the opportunity to start over next season with a clean slate. Holmgren, on the other hand, has received accolades in recent weeks for his efforts in dumping overpaid veterans, stocking up on promising players, prospects and draft picks, and clearing over $24 million in cap space in anticipation of this summer's UFA market. He's earned the job, in my humble opinion.
March 6th
PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER: Marc Narducci recently reports Flyers owner Peter Luukko expressed his pleasure with the work GM Paul Holmgren had done over the course of the season. Luukko said he has no timetable to sit down with Holmgren regarding an extension but hopes to do so in the near future.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST: Chuck Gormley reports Holmgren said there's no meeting planned between himself and team ownership to discuss retaining him as GM, but he says he's not concerned. Holmgren also touched on potential player signings in the off-season, saying the team will make a qualifying offer of $1.1 million to Antero Niittymaki and didn't rule out an offer to Robert Esche, although Gormley feels that's a long shot. He's also like to see how well recent acquisition Lasse Kukkonen plays with Joni Pitkanen before making him a contract offer, and has had preliminary contract talks with Todd Fedoruk's agent. "But the bulk of Holmgren's work will come in the offseason when he hopes to be active in the free-agent market. The Flyers are believed to have strong interest in Daniel Briere and Chris Drury to fill their need for a top-line center and in Kimmo Timonen and Sheldon Souray to fill the role of a decisive presence on the blue line", writes Gormley.
link

March 8th
Writer Chuck Gormley wrote Sunday that "recently, rumours have swirled that the Flyers might be considering Dale and Mark Hunter as the club's next coach and general manager." They would replace interim coach John Stevens and current general manager Paul Holmgren. Aside from the success the Hunters have shown in building a team from a low point, they also have a close relationship with Flyers president Peter Luukko. Luukko helped the Hunters put together the deal that enabled them to become main tenants in the John Labatt Centre. The JLC is managed by Global Spectrum, an arm of Comcast-Spectator of which Luukko is president.
link2

----------------------------------------------------

As you can see, there's only one person saying that there is a remote posibility that the Flyers will toss Holmgren and Stevens only to replace them with Hunter and Hunter. "Rumors have swirled"? What a steaming pile of bull ****.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
As you can see, there's only one person saying that there is a remote posibility that the Flyers will toss Holmgren and Stevens only to replace them with Hunter and Hunter. "Rumors have swirled"? What a steaming pile of bull ****.

Coincidentally, also my opinion of Dale.

The Hunters have been really successful in London and I don't see them making a move (from their point of view). Also, the last thing the Flyers need is Dale behind the bench.

Transported Upstater

Coincidentally, also my opinion of Dale.

The Hunters have been really successful in London and I don't see them making a move (from their point of view). Also, the last thing the Flyers need is Dale behind the bench.

Isn't Mark Hunter the bigger reason for London's success anyways?

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Isn't Mark Hunter the bigger reason for London's success anyways?

Absolutely - and I wouldn't be surprised to see some genuine interest in Mark by some NHL teams at some point. However, Dale is no slouch behind the bench - people love to rip his coaching abilities but you don't win games on talent alone.

However, I can't see Dale ever coaching an NHL team - I don't think his style would go over well with many NHL players. I also don't think he's the type of guy who could stand being second guessed all the time by his players or the press.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
don't people realize that Chuck Gormley got these rumours from HFboards and the stupid posts that were made a month ago saying that Dale Hunter was going to GM Philly next year?

This whole story is stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->