Prospect Info: Hunter Brzustewicz: 75th Overall 2023 Draft (Kitchener) - RD

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The problem with the Forsling deal was much less the trading of Forsling and more the terrible pro scouting on the guy they traded him for.
I mean sure, but I take iasue with a team with no prospects and terrible amateur scouting trading their hits out of impatience. Especially when you consider what we ended up paying later (OEL) for a player that he became. This team will need ELC contributors for the next four years. So, not a great move to deal guys that might fit that description. It makes sense to do it when you have a glut.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Just a disclaimer: I've watched one game.

He plays the most mature game on a team full of great players. Usually, at this level, you see many players "panic" with the puck and hold on too long or give up the puck when challenged. It seemed like Brzustewicz didn't break a sweat on the ice. One thing that mainly stood out was how calm and cool he was with the puck. Often, tonight, he would circle back with the puck and make the right play.

He got two assists on the play, but those assists were kind of because he was on the ice. There were a couple of plays where he created some great offensive chances because of his edgework on the blue line to open up some space and set his teammates with the puck.

As far as his skating, his strongest tool is his edges and ability to turn away forecheckers and forwards. He doesn't have blazing pace, but he read the game well tonight and never got burned or anything. Made a few nice angle plays along the boards to smother a rush. In the prospect thread, I said that he could do well on tying his man up. I think that's just because of a few plays. Throughout the entire game, he did well along the boards.

Some key plays that stood out to me are when he got pressured off the boards in his own zone, held onto the puck, and made a blind, easy, small pass to a forward, and it was out of the zone. I think stuff like this transfers over well where players don't panic and completely negate a forecheck. There was also a play in the offensive zone that did that thing that Hughes does where he jukes a player by feigning to go one way and then going the other. Then, going down the boards to set up a brilliant chance by passing it into the slot. Brzustewicz also made a few good transition plays up the ice that caused the Otters a lot of issues off the rush.

The Otters didn't force him to skate at all, so I can't tell you if he's quick. But he does seem to have some pace when he does want to skate the puck in. But he seems to be a pass-first type of guy. There were a few times where he lost track of his man's stick, but they weren't that egregious where you could really knock him and really that's just really nitpicky based of one or two plays.

From a one-game viewing, it does look like he has a lot of projectable traits. His most projectable trait, from a one-game viewing, of course, is his transitional play. But I'd like to see him against a better team that does better challenging him. It would serve him well to play pro hockey next year in Abbotsford. I think before you project him to be an NHL player, he needs to play against bigger and faster guys. If he can remain as calm, cool, and collected against pros, he definitely has top 4 potential.

I am really excited for next year's prospect camp; I think he'll be a late cut to the team. Maybe if I watch the next game, I'll record some examples I see, like the good ol' days.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Seeing that I've made that post, and I still have the stream open. I decided to go back and kind of give a bit of a visual of what I'm basing my post on so in case others have a different take. I didn't record a whole shift-by-shift, just smaller things that I thought were applicable to him being an NHL prospect. If others disagree with me, that's okay. It's important people aren't just taking my word for it.

When I was talking about being poised on the puck and very calm in how he handles the puck under pressure. I think the second clip shows his poise quite well as he takes a look at all his options and waits till he finds the right one instead of blasting the puck in deep. He seems to glide into open positions away from the puck and makes good, crisp passes. You see that in the rest of the clips when he has the puck.

These next clips are about him making good reads in the offensive zone, finding his teammates, and using his edges. Although there were no goals, some of these could have easily resulted in a couple of goals.

Now that all that pumping the tires of Brzuwesticz, I wanted to give a bit of an unbiased look at some little oopsies in the game. The first clip shows him making a really unnecessary bad pinch, especially when you are up 3-1. Looking back at the game, I've noticed that he takes a lot of risky pinches. I'm sure these sorts of pinches are completely coachable.

The second clip is one where he got caught looking around and control disconnecting. This is the only instance of him losing track of everything that I saw, but it's something where you do that in the NHL. You are getting stapled to the bench.

Overall, I like this prospect. I might watch more games and provide some video updates. Or I might not. Who knows!

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's not much doubt that the defensive side of the puck is something Brzustewicz will need to work on when he turns pro.

But what you can't teach are 'offensive instincts'. You either have it or you don't. He just turned 19, so after development camp next September, he either turns pro in Abbotsford or heads back to junior. But I'm certain that with the way the Canucks work with all their prospects, he'll be a sponge soaking up advice from the likes of the Sedins, Foote and Gonchar.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kitchener ends up being the Memorial Cup rep from the OHL. And a long playoff run and a Memorial Cup Tournament would do wonders for his development.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If he succeeds, it’s going to be 100% because of his vision

Absolutely elite, no matter what other faults he has

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Brzuwesticz gets three assists to close out the game +4. He was in on all non-empty net goals and was 2nd star of the game.

These are all the plays I recorded. You can call them WTG highlights of the game! I'll give a little write-up if you are interested in that a little bit later. But if you want to watch Brzuwesticz highlight package in a snapshot, and not my opinion, just watch this.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
So this is my second viewing of Brzuwesticz, and I thought he played a much better game than the last game against a tougher team. I didn't see nearly as many defensive lapses as last game, where he would get a bit lost in the defensive zone. He was also much more physically engaged in this game compared to the last game.

Pretty much all of his defensive lapses this game are because he pinches whenever he can, which leaves the team vulnerable when it doesn't work. I suspect he pinches as much because he got the green light from the coach, and at higher levels, it's a fixable issue. Another thing he could work on is getting more involved in battles along the boards. But he was more physically engaged than in the last game. I added a clip in late where he punts a guy after the whistle, and that's after being on the ice for 2+ minutes.

You can tell he has the trust of his coach as he plays on the first powerplay and penalty kill. He also managed to play the last 3 minutes of the game when the team was up by one. In the highlight package, I put in a clip where the team is up by one late in the period; he makes a simple pass and skates to the other side of his own zone to open himself up to smartly transition the puck out before getting the puck in deep. I felt that in the last game, he was playing a bit too risky and making way too many aggressive plays when he didn't need to be. So I included that one as a standout.

One thing that has been apparent over two games is his ability to see the ice and find himself in good positions on the ice. I think you see that in the highlight package, where he is constantly finding himself in either an open lane or forcing the other team to react to him. That's just smart hockey play.

He is labeled as an offensive defenseman because of the points he gets, but I think that's just a product of his vision and his smart play. He is way more dynamic than just an offensive defenseman. That's reflected at the coach trusting him in every situation. Brzustewicz makes others around him better.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Does he remind anyone else of Hronek?
He does not have the shot that Hronek has; I have yet to see him take anything more than a quick snapshot. Brzuestewicz is much more active than Hronek as well. He'll often push up and play give-and-goes to throw off the opposing team.

Definitely a new-age defenseman who isn't afraid to be more aggressive. It's hard to nail down a comparable.

I really like him as a prospect, I hope they don't move him for a rental this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He does not have the shot that Hronek has; I have yet to see him take anything more than a quick snapshot. Brzuestewicz is much more active than Hronek as well. He'll often push up and play give-and-goes to throw off the opposing team.

Definitely a new-age defenseman who isn't afraid to be more aggressive. It's hard to nail down a comparable.

I really like him as a prospect, I hope they don't move him for a rental this year.
Still curious why the Canucks decided to sign Mynio first and wait on Brzustewicz. But I suspect even the Canucks scouts and brain-trust never expected this kind of breakout season from him.

Not much doubt that if the Canucks are looking to 'add' at the TDL, his name will come up. And they'll probably be under pressure to include him in any deal.

But then that's the value of hitting a home run in the third round of the draft. At the very least, they become valuable trade pieces to improve your team in other areas.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Still curious why the Canucks decided to sign Mynio first and wait on Brzustewicz. But I suspect even the Canucks scouts and brain-trust never expected this kind of breakout season from him.

Not much doubt that if the Canucks are looking to 'add' at the TDL, his name will come up. And they'll probably be under pressure to include him in any deal.

But then that's the value of hitting a home run in the third round of the draft. At the very least, they become valuable trade pieces to improve your team in other areas.
To be fair, Mynio shouldn’t have been signed.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Lets hope he becomes a Adam Fox. Similar in size and offensive ability.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Just a disclaimer: I've watched one game.

He plays the most mature game on a team full of great players. Usually, at this level, you see many players "panic" with the puck and hold on too long or give up the puck when challenged. It seemed like Brzustewicz didn't break a sweat on the ice. One thing that mainly stood out was how calm and cool he was with the puck. Often, tonight, he would circle back with the puck and make the right play.

He got two assists on the play, but those assists were kind of because he was on the ice. There were a couple of plays where he created some great offensive chances because of his edgework on the blue line to open up some space and set his teammates with the puck.

As far as his skating, his strongest tool is his edges and ability to turn away forecheckers and forwards. He doesn't have blazing pace, but he read the game well tonight and never got burned or anything. Made a few nice angle plays along the boards to smother a rush. In the prospect thread, I said that he could do well on tying his man up. I think that's just because of a few plays. Throughout the entire game, he did well along the boards.

Some key plays that stood out to me are when he got pressured off the boards in his own zone, held onto the puck, and made a blind, easy, small pass to a forward, and it was out of the zone. I think stuff like this transfers over well where players don't panic and completely negate a forecheck. There was also a play in the offensive zone that did that thing that Hughes does where he jukes a player by feigning to go one way and then going the other. Then, going down the boards to set up a brilliant chance by passing it into the slot. Brzustewicz also made a few good transition plays up the ice that caused the Otters a lot of issues off the rush.

The Otters didn't force him to skate at all, so I can't tell you if he's quick. But he does seem to have some pace when he does want to skate the puck in. But he seems to be a pass-first type of guy. There were a few times where he lost track of his man's stick, but they weren't that egregious where you could really knock him and really that's just really nitpicky based of one or two plays.

From a one-game viewing, it does look like he has a lot of projectable traits. His most projectable trait, from a one-game viewing, of course, is his transitional play. But I'd like to see him against a better team that does better challenging him. It would serve him well to play pro hockey next year in Abbotsford. I think before you project him to be an NHL player, he needs to play against bigger and faster guys. If he can remain as calm, cool, and collected against pros, he definitely has top 4 potential.

I am really excited for next year's prospect camp; I think he'll be a late cut to the team. Maybe if I watch the next game, I'll record some examples I see, like the good ol' days.
This seems a fair assessment and in line with scouting reports on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad