Hungary: Hungarian Hockey Expands Focus

nablock

May 8, 2014
Houston, Texas
Jani's little brother will be playing in Hungary for Debrecen.

Norbert Hari to Play for Debrecen

The IIHF had ruled that Norbert was ineligible to represent Hungary in IIHF tournaments as he has Swedish citizenship as well as Hungarian citizenship. Hari plans to play in Hungary at least as long as is necessary to comply with the IIHF requirements.

I had some hope that Patrik Nemeth would end up joining the Hungarian national team if they made it to the top level. If you are not a citizen of the country, isn't the rule that you just waive your right to play for any other country internationally? I would think this isn't a problem unless Norbert had logged minutes with the Swedish national team.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
I had some hope that Patrik Nemeth would end up joining the Hungarian national team if they made it to the top level. If you are not a citizen of the country, isn't the rule that you just waive your right to play for any other country internationally? I would think this isn't a problem unless Norbert had logged minutes with the Swedish national team.

After spending 4 years playing in Hungary, Norbert Hari went to Sweden at the age of 11. After a few years Hari acquired Swedish citizenship becoming a dual-citizen. Hari has never represented Sweden in an IIHF tournament, but has requested he be allowed to represent Hungary.

The IIHF ruled that he could not represent Hungary as the four years he spent in Hungary were at a young age - an age the IIHF deems insufficient to count as years playing in a country. I have never appreciated the reasoning behind this especially considering the fact that this rule was created after their ruling against Hari.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
I´ve got a question regarding Karol Csányi. Judging by his name and the place he was born (Komárno/Komárom) it seems to be pretty clear that he belongs to the Hungarian minority in Slovakia. However both eliteprospects has the Hungarian flag at his profile and on eurohockey it says HUN behind his name, which confuses me a lot. He has represented Slovakia at various tournament at the U16-U18 levels, most notably the U17 WHC Challenge and Ivan Hlinka Memorial. So what I wanted to ask, did he acquire Hungarian citizenship in order to represent Hungary or something like that or does it just come from his ethnicity? I mean I know he´s an ethnic Hungarians, but from my experience the Slovak citizens with a different ethnicity in sports still have the Slovak flag by their name or something, for example Balász Borbély in football or Csaba Szucs in handball. Just asking out of curiosity.

If you click on the link now, only the Slovak flag appears now.

Interestingly, he is currently playing for Hungary against South Korea in an EIHC game. I saw his name in the scoring line and remembered your comment about him.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
How isn't there a mention about Hungary promoting to the elite division once again?

I kinda found this article from Slovak Pravda where Tamas Sille and Ladislav Sikorcin talk about Hungarian hockey.

They mention that alongside with football, water polo, handball and basketball hockey is one of the five team sports, which get support from the government.

The article also mentions how Hungary was able to use it's success of the 2008 promotion to benefit the sport and how it managed to gain resources and popularity between fans and kids and how new rinks were built (in a way making a comparison with Slovakia failing the very same task with its success from the earl 2000s).

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
How isn't there a mention about Hungary promoting to the elite division once again?

I kinda found this article from Slovak Pravda where Tamas Sille and Ladislav Sikorcin talk about Hungarian hockey.

They mention that alongside with football, water polo, handball and basketball hockey is one of the five team sports, which get support from the government.

The article also mentions how Hungary was able to use it's success of the 2008 promotion to benefit the sport and how it managed to gain resources and popularity between fans and kids and how new rinks were built (in a way making a comparison with Slovakia failing the very same task with its success from the earl 2000s).

Thanks for the link.

Hockey in Hungary has a small, but strong (and growing) following. I watched all the games online this year and was impressed with the show of support.

Regarding the promotion, I'm thinking it will be tough next year in Russia to even register a point. They won promotion with the help of some recently naturalized Canadians who are very near the ends of their careers.

Unrelated, but I'll post it here anyway. Found it on a Hungarian hockey blog:

jurco-lanchid.jpg

:)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Thanks for the link.

Hockey in Hungary has a small, but strong (and growing) following. I watched all the games online this year and was impressed with the show of support.

Regarding the promotion, I'm thinking it will be tough next year in Russia to even register a point. They won promotion with the help of some recently naturalized Canadians who are very near the ends of their careers.

Unrelated, but I'll post it here anyway. Found it on a Hungarian hockey blog:

jurco-lanchid.jpg

:)

I have watched the last game against Poland and the 3000 Hungarian fans in attendance made for some great atmosphere in Krakow.

As for the Canadians, yeah there were Sarauer, Metcalfe and Banham. I'm not much of a fan of the naturalising players phenomena, but I suppose the Hungarian federation had a good reason for including them. The successfull generation of players from 2008/2009 has finished, only the Vas brothers and Csaba Kovacs remained from the 2009 WC team. Then there's the new generation of players, as Hungary gained promotion with 12 players aged 25 or younger on the roster, so the reasoning behind the three Canadians was probably to get a bit of experience in addition to the Hari and co. generation.

But considering the Italian philosophy of playing with mainly home grown players this year, it wouldn't have been all that surprising if Hungary managed the promotion even without the Canadians. Though that's speaking very hypothetically.

All that said anything but relegation in Russia next year would be a huge shock. However 2015 doesn't have to be the last time this generation of Hungarian players plays at the elite IHWC.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
I have watched the last game against Poland and the 3000 Hungarian fans in attendance made for some great atmosphere in Krakow.

As for the Canadians, yeah there were Sarauer, Metcalfe and Banham. I'm not much of a fan of the naturalising players phenomena, but I suppose the Hungarian federation had a good reason for including them. The successfull generation of players from 2008/2009 has finished, only the Vas brothers and Csaba Kovacs remained from the 2009 WC team. Then there's the new generation of players, as Hungary gained promotion with 12 players aged 25 or younger on the roster, so the reasoning behind the three Canadians was probably to get a bit of experience in addition to the Hari and co. generation.

But considering the Italian philosophy of playing with mainly home grown players this year, it wouldn't have been all that surprising if Hungary managed the promotion even without the Canadians. Though that's speaking very hypothetically.

All that said anything but relegation in Russia next year would be a huge shock. However 2015 doesn't have to be the last time this generation of Hungarian players plays at the elite IHWC.

I think Hungary will be moving up and down more frequently in the coming years. The 25-30 age group now is better than the 25-30 group back in 2008. There are 10 players under 25 playing now compared to just 5 under 25 in 2008. Norbert Hari and Vilmos Gallo are in the pipeline and will likely become regular NT members.

I don't think we will be seeing the same teams promote and relegate year in year out. Kazakhstan has an aging team, but they continue to naturalize foreigners to replenish their NT. Of the elevator nations, they may prove to be the strongest in the short term.

As for the rest, I don't think there is a lot separating Slovenia, Italy, Austria, and Hungary at the youth level. So the difference between these teams will likely lessen over the next few years at the senior level.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
St. Pölten U16 Tournament:

2015. november 5., 11:15 Vs St. Pölten
2015. november 5., 19:10 Vs Slovenia
2015. november 6., 15:40 Vs Italy
2015. november 7., 13:40 Vs Austria

Goaltenders
Galló Olivér, Jarfalla (SWE)
Márkus Levente, UTE
Sági Máté, MAC

Defensemen
Balajthy Dániel, Fehérvár
Blazsej Krisztián, UTE
Egyedi Zsolt, UTE
Fekete Botond, Fehérvár
Pokornyi Dávid, UTE
Seregély Máté, MAC
Szécsi Patrik, Pesterzsébet
Szabó Zsolt, UTE

Forwards:
Almási Márk, Fehérvár
Dézsi Bence, Fehérvár
Farkas Márton, Miskolc
Horváth László, Győr
Kemény Patrik, Linz (AUT)
Kovács Alex, Fehérvár
Kovács Sebestyén, UTE
Páterka Bence, UTE
Rácz Kristóf, Debrecen
Révész Marcell, Basel (SUI)
Stadler Máté, Fehérvár
Vértes Nátán, Fehérvár

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Telfs U18 Tournament:

2015. November 5, Vs. Italy
2015. November 6, Vs. Austria
2015. November 7, Vs. Slovenia

Goaltenders
Kovács Dávid, Langnau (SUI)
Medgyes Csaba, Vasas
Tóth Károly Balázs, Linz (AUT)

Defensemen
Bálint Tamás, Frankfurt (GER)
Bán Károly Tibor, Pesterzsébet
Bukor Rajmund, Vasas
Fejes Nándor, MAC
Kiss Roland, Fehérvár
Sándor Flórián, Fehérvár
Szabó Bence, Fehérvár
Tóth Gergely, MAC

Forwards:
Horváth Bálint, Rögle BK (SWE)
Horváth Richárd, Fehérvár
Korchma Bence, MAC
Kreisz Brúnó, MAC
Majoross Barnabás, MAC
Molnár Dávid, Debrecen
Nagy Ãkos, Fehérvár
Pozsár Márk, Pesterzsébet
Sebestyén Dávid, MAC
Szalma Zsol, UTE
Szigeti Ãkos, MAC
Szlépka Armand, Vasas

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Vaujany U20 Tournament

2015. November 5., Vs. Italy
2015. November 6., Vs. France
2015. November 7., Vs. Slovenia

Goaltenders:
Arany Gergely, MAC
Kiss Bence, Miskolc

Defensemen:
Garát Zsombor, Boston Jr. Bandits (EHL)
Herner Olivér, MAC
Herszényi András, MAC
Jászai Dávid, MAC
Kovács Attila. MAC
Stipsicz Bence. MAC
Vokla Roland, Fehérvár

Forwards:
Antal Norbert. Borlange (SWE)
Bödök Bence. MAC
Galló Vilmos, Linköping (SWE)
Gáspár Máté, Linz (AUT)
Kiss Patrik, Fehérvár
Kiss Zsombor, HC Davos (SUI)
Pápa Márton. Vasas
Sági Martin, Linz (AUT)
Szabad Kevin, Vienna Capitals (AUT)
Szabó Krisztián, Fehérvár
Szita Donát, Fehérvár
Terbócs István, MAC
Vizi Dániel, Fehérvár

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Final 2016 WC Roster

Goaltenders:
Zoltán Hetényi
Miklós Rajna
Ãdám Vay

Defensemen:
Jesse Dudas
Zsombor Garát*
István Mestyán
Kalvin Sagert
Bence Stipicz*
Bence Szirányi
Márton Vas
Kevin Wehrs

Forwards:
Frank Banham
István Bartalis
András Benk
Csanád Erdély
Vilmos Galló
Csaba Kovács
Dániel Kóger
Bálint Magosi
Gergő Nagy
Krisztián Nagy
Andrew Sarauer
Balázs Sebők
István Sofron
János Vas

Not Participating due to Injury:
János Hári

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Final 2016 WC Roster

Goaltenders:
Zoltán Hetényi
Miklós Rajna
Ãdám Vay

Defensemen:
Jesse Dudas
Zsombor Garát*
István Mestyán
Kalvin Sagert
Bence Stipicz*
Bence Szirányi
Márton Vas
Kevin Wehrs

Forwards:
Frank Banham
István Bartalis
András Benk
Csanád Erdély
Vilmos Galló
Csaba Kovács
Dániel Kóger
Bálint Magosi
Gergő Nagy
Krisztián Nagy
Andrew Sarauer
Balázs Sebők
István Sofron
János Vas

Not Participating due to Injury:
János Hári

Looks like Hungary could have 2 players in the USHL this season. Cedar Rapids has added Bence Stipsicz and Peter Zsombor-Garat to the roster.

Kevin Wehrs tipped his former USHL coach off about the two guys from what I am told

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Stipsicz made the final Cedar Rapids roster, but Zsombor-Garat was released and is playing in the NAHL for the Austin Bruins

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
It looks like a nation on the rise for Ice Hockey.

They are now in the IA division on U20. Is it the next 'new' country to go top 10 ?

They will likely be relegated this year back to Group B as there is a significant gap between the two groups and the 1998 born group is relatively weak. The 1999 and 2000 born players look to be more competitive so they should promote back up the following year.

I don't see them breaking into the top 10 anytime soon. I think they will stay in the 16 to 18 range for the next few years.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
They will likely be relegated this year back to Group B as there is a significant gap between the two groups and the 1998 born group is relatively weak. The 1999 and 2000 born players look to be more competitive so they should promote back up the following year.

I don't see them breaking into the top 10 anytime soon. I think they will stay in the 16 to 18 range for the next few years.

Hungarian 98 group doesnt look weaker than 97 to me

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hungarian 98 group doesnt look weaker than 97 to me

The 1997 group is relatively weak too when compared to the 96'ers. I do think the 1997 group have better prospects on defense - two of them have already suited up for the national men's team.

I think less than half the U20 team this year will consist of 1998 born players. About half will be 1999 born with at least 3 from the 2000 group and maybe 1 from 2001. They will be the youngest team in this year's tournament.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U20 Camp List of Invitees

22 players will be selected from the following group to play against the US U18 team on August 3:

Goaltenders
Győri Boldizsár, MAC
Kovács Dávid, Langnau (SUI)
Kővári Dániel, KMH
Márkus Levente, UTE
Maros Botond, EAC Junior Capitals (AUT)
Nagy Kristóf, MAC
Szeles Martin, Fehérvár
Tóth Károly Balázs, Black Wings Linz (AUT)

Defensemen
Bán Károly, KMH/Pesterzsébet
Bugár Gábor, Bodens HF (SWE)
Bukor Rajmund, Vasas
Darabos Krisztofer, Debrecen
Erdély Botond, Fehérvár
Falus Ãdám, Zürich Lions (SUI)
Fejes Nándor, MAC
Horváth Milán, Fehérvár
Kiss Roland, UTE
Kováts Máté, Vasas
Molnár András, UTE
Pokornyi Dávid, UTE
Sándor Flórián, Fehérvár
Sarcia Antonino, MAC
Seregély Máté, MAC
Szabó Bence, Fehérvár
Szécsi Patrik, Pesterzsébet
Vas Márk, Fehérvár

Forwards
Búzás Arnold, Fehérvár
Császár Hunor, Fehérvár
Csiki Attila, Vasas
Daadou Ãdám, Titaanit (FIN)
Dézsi Bence, Fehérvár
Horváth Ãkos, UTE
Horváth Bálint, Rögle (SWE)
Horváth Bálint Dominik, KMH
Kanyó Tamás, Graz (AUT)
Kedves Richard, MAC
Kemény Patrik, Győr
Kiss Patrik, Fehérvár
Korchma Bence, MAC
Kovács Sebestyén, UTE
Kreisz Brúnó, MAC
Lőczi Ãrpád, MAC
Madácsi Benedek, Fehérvár
Majoross Barnabás, MAC
Makovics Bence , Dunaújváros
Mihály Ãkos, Fehérvár
Molnár Dávid, MAC
Nagy Ãkos, Fehérvár
Pákozdi Bálint, Okanagan HA (GBR)
Papp Kristóf, Honeybaked (USA)
Péter Andor, Fehérvár
Révész Marcell, Zürich Lions (SUI)
Sebestyén Dávid, MAC
Selmeczi András, UTE
Szalma Zsolt, UTE
Székely Mádai Gergő, Vasas
Szigeti Ãkos, MAC
Szita Donát, Fehérvár
Tóth Gergely, MAC
Tóth Renátó, FTC
Török Viktor, Dunaújváros
Varga Tamás, Vasas
Vértes Nátán, Fehérvár
Vincze Gergő, Fehérvár

Last year the Americans won 4-1, outshooting the Hungarians 42-26. Patrik Kiss scored the lone Hungarian goal. He will most likely suit up against the US again this year .

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Final Roster for Tomorrow's Exhibition Game

Goaltenders
Nagy Kristóf, MAC
Tóth Károly Balázs, Black Wings Linz (AUT)

Defensemen
Bukor Rajmund, Vasas
Erdély Botond, Fehérvár
Fejes Nándor, MAC
Horváth Milán, Fehérvár
Kiss Roland, UTE
Oroszi Ãlmos, Vasas
Sándor Flórián, Fehérvár
Szabó Bence, Fehérvár

Forwards
Dézsi Bence, Fehérvár
Kiss Patrik, Fehérvár
Majoross Barnabás, MAC
Mihály Ãkos, Fehérvár
Molnár Dávid, MAC
Nagy Ãkos, Fehérvár
Papp Kristóf, Honeybaked (USA)
Péter Andor, Fehérvár
Sebestyén Dávid, MAC
Szita Donát, Fehérvár
Tóth Gergely, MAC
Vértes Nátán, Fehérvár

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Last year the Americans won 4-1, outshooting the Hungarians 42-26. Patrik Kiss scored the lone Hungarian goal. He will most likely suit up against the US again this year .

Similar result this year with the Americans winning 4-2, outshooting the Hungarians 44-21. Patrik Kiss did not score, but he did get an assist on the first goal by Andor Peter. Donat Szita scored the other goal for Hungary. Hungary played well notwithstanding the last American goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad