Hungary: Hungarian Hockey Expands Focus

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
U18 WC Preparation Match

Game 2

Slovakia U17 – Hungary U18: 5-3

Jozsef Pleszkan started in net for the Hungarians and played the entire game. Shots were even at 30 apiece. Hari, Gallo, and Meretei led the Hungarians with 4 shots each. Special teams were the difference today. The Slovaks converted 3 of their seven power play opportunities, whereas the Hungarians only managed 1 goal with the man advantage.

Today’s result is a little discouraging. I think with the addition of the Nemes line, expectations were much higher.

The Hungarian team will be travelling to Poland on Friday and will play its first game on Sunday against Lithuania.

I wouldn´t worry too m uch about it. If your guys are anything like our players, the worse the preparations are the better the tourney finishes.

Btw Poland for example played two games against Poprad´s U20 team losing 2-7 and 6-7.

Looking at your opponents, Germany is way too strong, probably stronger than Belarus last year. But with the other teams, I don´t see why you couldn´t challenge for the 2nd place in the group.

Hajrá Magyarok!!:yo: I hope I got that one right.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Lithuania-Hungary 2-7 (0-5,1-2,1-0)
01:45 0-1 Nemes (Hardi) PP1
06:45 0-2 Papp (Fekti)
11:57 0-3 Nemeth (Nemes,Hardi)
19:16 0-4 Hari (Hentes)
19:36 0-5 Hardi (Nemeth)
24:10 0-6 Erdelyi (Odry) SH
39:50 1-7 Hardi (Erdelyi,Nemes)
SOG:15-52 PIM:30-10

Hungary picked a prettz easy win in the first game fo teh U18 Division I WHC. The tourney is played with no fans. The directorate originally considered moving the event to next week, because of the national mourning in Poland, but the decided that it should be played without fans, except for tha games on next Saturday.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
. The tourney is played with no fans. The directorate originally considered moving the event to next week, because of the national mourning in Poland, but the decided that it should be played without fans, except for the games on next Saturday.

Yes cause otherwise there would have been tens of thousands of fans at the games [sarcasm]. I understand the no music during stoppages in play, but I don't agree with the no fans. If they really wanted to do that they should have moved the tournament a week.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Lithuania-Hungary 2-7 (0-5,1-2,1-0)

On paper, Lithuania appears to be one of the weaker teams in the group, if not the weakest team. Six players on their roster were born in 1994 and five were born in 1993. The roster lists only 4 defensemen. I think everyone expects lopsided victories against this young team. Although Hungary seems to have dominated the Lithuanians – outshooting them 52 to 15, the game highlights special team concerns for Hungary as their penalty killing difficulties continue. The Slovak U17 team was able to score often on the powerplay last week against Hungary and Lithuania was able to score twice on five opportunities today. One wonders what the Germans or the Poles might be able to do against Hungary with the man advantage.

The Germans defeated Great Britain 9 to 0 today, outshooting them 63 to 7. Germans are obviously the strongest team in the group, but I was actually surprised by their dominance in their opening game. They definitely appear much stronger than the 2009 Belarusian team. In the last game of the first round, the Poles beat the Kazakhs 2 to 0, but the Kazakhs managed to outshoot Poland 27 to 25.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
On paper, Lithuania appears to be one of the weaker teams in the group, if not the weakest team. Six players on their roster were born in 1994 and five were born in 1993. The roster lists only 4 defensemen. I think everyone expects lopsided victories against this young team. Although Hungary seems to have dominated the Lithuanians – outshooting them 52 to 15, the game highlights special team concerns for Hungary as their penalty killing difficulties continue. The Slovak U17 team was able to score often on the powerplay last week against Hungary and Lithuania was able to score twice on five opportunities today. One wonders what the Germans or the Poles might be able to do against Hungary with the man advantage.

The Germans defeated Great Britain 9 to 0 today, outshooting them 63 to 7. Germans are obviously the strongest team in the group, but I was actually surprised by their dominance in their opening game. They definitely appear much stronger than the 2009 Belarusian team. In the last game of the first round, the Poles beat the Kazakhs 2 to 0, but the Kazakhs managed to outshoot Poland 27 to 25.

I was surprised by the high score of the GB-GER game in the end as when I checked after the first, it was only like 2-0 Germany.

There is no doubt that Germany is way better than Belarus in 09. The Germans do not belong into Division I. Their problem is that at the elite level they try very hard in all the games and then they have no breath in the relegation round games anymore. Like last year when they played a very close game against Canada and then got relegated. On paper they are very superior to all Division I teams, the only who could probably really challenge them this year is Denmark. But the games aren´t played on the paper, but on ice and anything can happen.

I just hope that the Hungarians avoid a loss to Poland this time around, they seem to lose to the Poles almost all the time.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U18 WC Division I

Game 2

Hungary - Great Britain: 4-5 (Shootout)

Three powerplay goals helped the British surprise Hungary today with a shootout victory. Coincidentally, the British beat the Hungarians by the same score in December to win promotion to the U20, Division I.

Needless to say, this is a very disappointing result. Penalty killing continues to be weak, and at this point, there is probably very little that can be done to remedy that aspect of their game. If Hungary hopes to finish in the top half of the standings, they must play more disciplined and avoid the penalty box.

I would like to see Adam Vay start against Poland on Wednesday.

In the second game of the day, Germany up 1 to 0 after only 28 seconds....

...could be another blowout

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
In the second game of the day, Germany up 1 to 0 after only 28 seconds....

...could be another blowout

after 78 shoots on the goal of Kasakhstan, Germany won 11-1.

But i still think, Hungary will be the hardest opponent and i expect, Hungary can produce some NHL-players the next years.

So wish Hungary much success! ;-)

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U18 WC Division I

Game 3

Hungary – Poland: 5-3

Well they didn’t start Adam Vay and they did not stay out of the penalty box, but Hungary was still able to beat Poland today – a team this age-class has had difficulties with in the past. Looks like the British may be taking over that nemesis role.

Bob Dever did a little line juggling switching Nemeth and Hentes, thus creating an all ’93 line of Hardi, Nemes and Hentes. The switch seems to have paid dividends as the ’93 line scored the first two goals and the Hari-Gallo-Nemeth line scored the last three. These two lines combined for 36 of Hungary’s 43 shots. Poland had 28 shots on goal.

Penalty killing was better today. The Hungarians gave up 1 goal while the Poles had a two man advantage. Altogether, Poland had seven powerplay opportunities, with most of them coming in the second half of the second period.

In the other games, Germany defeated Lithuania 15-0 and Kazakhstan shut out the British 1-0.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U18 WC Division I

Game 4

Hungary – Germany: 1-6

Adam Vay got the start today, but was unable to stop the German juggernaut. Germany outshot Hungary 54-16.

Adam Fekti scored Hungary’s lone goal in the dying minutes of the game and finished a +1. Attila Nemeth led the Hungarians with 5 shots, but was also a -4 which was the lowest on the team.

Last game for the Hungarians is against Kazakhstan on Saturday. The Kazakhs defeated Lithuania 6-1 early today.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Poland came back from behind 2-4 to win over Great Britain 8-5. Which I believe means that if Hungary beats Kazakhstan they will finish 2nd as there is absolutely no chance for Poland to beat Germany. I think the game the Hungarians can be really sorry about here is the one against Great Britain. The Germans are just in a class of their own here.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U16 Team Preliminary Roster for the Spring Challenge Cup to be held in Prague in April.

Goaltenders
Agoston Oliver (Sapa Fehervar AV19)
Vay Adam (Hoba Bratislava, SVK)
Zaka Norbert (MAC).
Cziller Andras (UTE)

Defensemen
Reiter Attila (Sapa Fehervar AV19)
Czobor Robert (Bp. Stars)
Dorok Bence (Bp. Stars)
Postas Ciprian (Bp. Stars)
Ratkai Adam (UTE)
Korbuly Gergely (MAC).
Kiss Andras (MAC).
Füri Martin (Sapa Fehérvár AV19)
Garbacz Ãdám (UTE)
Magosi, Erik (Dunaferr)

Forwards
Bata Daniel (UTE)
Mach Marton (UTE)
Dosa Krisztian (Bp. Stars)
Fliszar Zalan (Bp. Stars)
Gagyor Peter (Bp. Stars)
Hamvai Szilard (Dunaferr)
Kozma Daniel (MAC)
Nagy Krisztian (MAC)
Schmal Kristof (MAC)
Konczei Aron (Debrecen)
Rito Laszlo (Miskolc)
Toth Javor Ãdám (Miskolc)
Pillok Martin (Sapa Fehervar AV19)
Vincze Peter (Sapa Fehervar AV19)
Bajler Bence (Bp. Stars)
Turbucz Martin (UTE)
Hardi Marton (Notre Dame)
Kocsis Ferenc (Lahti)
Sebok, Balazs (Karpat)
Somos Gergely (Sapa Fehervar AV19)
Orosz Donat (UTE)

The Challenge Cup begins tomorrow.

Challenge Cup Schedule

16.4. 10:00-11:30 Hungary National Team U16 vs. Howe Stars (CAN-SWE)
16.4. 13:15-14:45 England vs. Hungary National Team U16
17.4. 11:45-13:15 Hungary National Team U16 vs. Czech Selects
17.4. 15:00-16:30 HC Kometa Brno vs. Hungary National Team U16

Adam Vay is with the U18 team in Poland and will not participate.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Poland came back from behind 2-4 to win over Great Britain 8-5. Which I believe means that if Hungary beats Kazakhstan they will finish 2nd as there is absolutely no chance for Poland to beat Germany. I think the game the Hungarians can be really sorry about here is the one against Great Britain. The Germans are just in a class of their own here.

Makes you wonder how well the Germans would have done in the top division this year.

The British game was undoubtedly a disappointment...

....second time that has happened in the last few months.

As for Poland, Hungary will meet them again in another important tournament at the end of this year. U20 WC Division II will likely be a close fight between these two countries for promotion.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
after 78 shoots on the goal of Kasakhstan, Germany won 11-1.

But i still think, Hungary will be the hardest opponent and i expect, Hungary can produce some NHL-players the next years.

So wish Hungary much success! ;-)

Poland up next for the Germans. Barring a miracle for the Poles, the Germans should promote back to the top division. It is unfortunate that they were relegated last year, because this age-class is very strong and, in my opinion, would have been very competitive in the elite group this year.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Germany are almost always competitive in the elite division. Maybe way too competitive, they get close games against most of the top teams, which leaves them with little power in the key games in the relegation rounds.

Well I think that U20 game against GB felt much worse than this one. I felt really sad after watching it and I´m not even Hungarian....

Oh, yeah, I had no idea that Polska will be in the same group as Hungary in the U20 Div II. That sucks....

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
U18 WC Division I

Game 5

Hungary – Kazakhstan: 2-1

Adam Vay
got the start again today and stopped 35 shots to lead Hungary to a second place finish in the group.

Kristof Hentes scored the game winning goal unassisted and led the team with 6 shots on net. Attila Nemeth scored the other goal.

Germany defeated Poland 10-0 to win promotion, while the British victory relegated the Lithuanians.

Richard Hardi led the Hungarians in scoring with 7 points in 5 games. Attila Nemeth led the team with 4 goals.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
The Spring Challenge Cup took place on the weekend in Prague. The Hungarian U16 team finished with a record of 2 wins and 3 losses.

The team was led by Marton Hardi and Balazs Sebok who both had 4 assists each. Aron Konczei led the team with 3 goals.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hungary’s Men’s Team Roster for the W.C. Division I

Goaltenders
RAJNA Miklos, 1991, Budapest Stars
HETENYI Zoltan, 1988, Sapa Fehervar

Defensemen
SVASZNEK Bence, 1975, Budapest Stars
HORVATH Andras, 1976, Sapa Fehervar
SZELIG Viktor, 1975, Briancon Diables Rouges
TOKAJI Viktor, 1977, Sapa Fehervar
ENNAFFATI Omar, 1980, Budapest Stars
HEGYI Adam, 1986, Dab.Docler
SZIRANYI Bence, 1988, Budapest Stars
SILLE Tamas, 1969, Budapest Stars

Forwards
KOVACS Csaba, 1984, Sapa Fehervar
VAS Marton, 1980, Sapa Fehervar
LADANYI Balazs, 1976, Sapa Fehervar
KOGER Daniel, 1989, Sapa Fehervar
NAGY Gergo, 1989, Sapa Fehervar
SOFRON Istvan, 1988, Sapa Fehervar
VAS Janos, 1984, Sapa Fehervar
HOLECZY Roger, 1976, Budapest Stars
FEKETE Daniel, 1982, Sapa Fehervar
PALKOVICS Krisztian, 1975, Sapa Fehervar
MAGOSI Balint, 1989, Dab.Docler
PETERDI Imre, 1980, Budapest Stars

This team is considerably younger than the one relegated last year in Switzerland.

Levente Szuper is still playing in Germany and will not participate in this year’s Division 1 W.C. Young Zoltan Hetenyi will be the starter and will be backed up by the even younger Miklos Rajna.

Four players 22 or younger are making their debut for the men’s national team: Daniel Koger, Balint Magosi, Bence Sziranyi and Istvan Sofron. Another 22 year old, Nikandrosz Galanisz, would likely have also made the team, but was injured late in the season.

Results from Hungary’s first 4 games

Hungary – Korea: (4-2)
Hungary – Poland: (6-0)
Hungary – Croatia: (8-0)
Hungary – Great Britain: (2-0)

One of Hungary’s top defensemen, Viktor Tokaji, was injured in the game against the British and will miss the game against Slovenia on Friday.

Edit: Updated Results

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Hungary – Slovenia: 1-4

After a pretty even first period, the Hungarians got into penalty trouble and played most of the second period one man short. Slovenia was able to capitalize on the power play with a goal near the end of the period. Another penalty was called late in the period which Slovenia was able to capitalize on in the beginning of the third. By this time, it seems Hungary’s confidence was shaken, as the Slovenians were the faster more aggressive team, forechecking well. The Hungarians gave up one more goal past the mid-way point of the period to seal the victory for the home side.

Congratulations to the Slovenians who were missing some of their top players. Slovenia will promote to the top level and play in the World Championship in Slovakia in 2011.

Poland defeated Great Britain to finish in third place in the group.

Croatia lost to Korea and is relegated to Division II.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
The boys’ tournament in Prague was postponed, but the U15 girls’ tournament went ahead.

Girls U15 World Selects Invitational

The Hungarian team lost the Championship game 4-3 to the undefeated Czech Red team finishing second in the eight team tournament.

Alexandra Huszak led the Hungarians with 6 goals and 6 assists in 8 games.

Encouraging results considering the Hungarian women are currently residing in Division III. Hopefully, the Hungarian hockey federation is also encouraged by these results and can continue to further the development of the women’s program.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Another Hungarian off to Finland?

Finnish club Rauman Lukko reports on their website that they are looking to sign Adam Fekti to their junior team. Fekti played with Salzburg's U20 team last year.

kajoo

Jan 17, 2003
Slovakia
Visit site
Hungary – Slovenia: 1-4

After a pretty even first period, the Hungarians got into penalty trouble and played most of the second period one man short. Slovenia was able to capitalize on the power play with a goal near the end of the period. Another penalty was called late in the period which Slovenia was able to capitalize on in the beginning of the third. By this time, it seems Hungary’s confidence was shaken, as the Slovenians were the faster more aggressive team, forechecking well. The Hungarians gave up one more goal past the mid-way point of the period to seal the victory for the home side.

Congratulations to the Slovenians who were missing some of their top players. Slovenia will promote to the top level and play in the World Championship in Slovakia in 2011.

Poland defeated Great Britain to finish in third place in the group.

Croatia lost to Korea and is relegated to Division II.

I was watching the stream from this game, Slovenians were more disciplined, Hungary played pk 20 minutes of the first 2 periods, and still held Slovenians 1-1. They even scored shortie.

Unfortunately hungarian goalie let in weak one from unscreened shot and this was the turning point of the game, SLO took the lead and managed to keep hungarian off the scoresheet.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Didnt really know where to put this.

I am in the process of getting my Hungarian citizenship. And I have kind of looked into the hockey over there. Now I understand that the MOL Liga (?) is there top league? What is the level of hockey like over there? What is the pay? How hard would it be to make it?

I ask this cause Ive played top minor hockey almost all my life, and I think it would be interesting to play it and experience it in another country. Anyway, any info or help on this would be awesome!

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
...What is the pay?...

...Ive played top minor hockey almost all my life, and I think it would be interesting to play it and experience it in another country. Anyway, any info or help on this would be awesome!

The level of pay obviously depends on your level of play, but I would guess that some of the better imports receive in the neighbourhood of 2,000 Euros/month plus expenses.

Couple of sites of interest…

…List of team websites and contact information.
http://www.gyerehokizni.hu/egyesuletek.php?&pagenum=0

Popular Hungarian Hockey site with daily articles and comments:

http://jegkorong.blog.hu/

Hungarian forum at International Hockey Forums

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39

The latter two sites have members that may be able to assist you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad