Humility

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
How important is a player's humility when being scouted or drafted?

Some players have led excellent careers despite their egos (Hull, Jagr) while some players' careers have been ruined by their ego (Daigle, F. Fedorov). How important is it to scouts/GMs for a player to be humble? Does it even effect their assessment of the player?

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
kmad said:

Some players have led excellent careers despite their egos (Hull, Jagr) while some players' careers have been ruined by their ego (Daigle, F. Fedorov). How important is it to scouts/GMs for a player to be humble? Does it even effect their assessment of the player?
Can't be very important with people like JR, Hull, Lindros, Jarg (and the list goes on) being stars in the NHL.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
If anything most of the very best players usually have at least a bit of that "cocky" attitude. A player must have confidence, if they don't they will fail. Often times this confidence comes out as cockiness.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I heard the Kings are heavily scouting this Buddhist monk from Pasadena. He can't stick handle, shoot, or skate worth a flip, but boy is he humble! The sleeper of the 04 draft.

Heimy

Feb 28, 2002
I was just here
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I heard the Kings are heavily scouting this Buddhist monk from Pasadena. He can't stick handle, shoot, or skate worth a flip, but boy is he humble! The sleeper of the 04 draft.

Yeah, he was overheard chanting "desire is the cause of all suffering" when doing yoga. Sounds like a real overachiever to me! :D

Seriously, I think humility is an essential trait in young players. Humble players know they can improve and are more apt to not just take direction and coaching, but appreciate it.

Brownies

Heimy said:
Yeah, he was overheard chanting "desire is the cause of all suffering" when doing yoga. Sounds like a real overachiever to me! :D

Seriously, I think humility is an essential trait in young players. Humble players know they can improve and are more apt to not just take direction and coaching, but appreciate it.
You can twist it the way you want. A guy can be cocky and train more than anyone because he wants to be the best...

cycle_it

May 1, 2004
florida
brownies said:
You can twist it the way you want. A guy can be cocky and train more than anyone because he wants to be the best...

as long as they know more work is needed. one should not talk big about landing a 3 yr. nhl contract [as they currently play in the echl] and only show up for some games.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Yzerman is very humble, I don't know how he was on draft day, but Detroit looking at that young 18 year old center probably didn't think that he was going to be top 10 all time. What about Forsberg, he still sounds like a girl in interviews.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The first three words of every sentence that comes out of Dustin Rose's mouth are "Dustin Rose says."

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Humility can be a bad thing too. See Jan Hrdina. He's a shy guy on and off the ice, and very humble. Too humble. Doesn't see the tools that he has.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
kmad said:

Having met Daigle once, and knowing a few people who have collaborated with him somewhat... yeah, he's not the most humble person in the world.

But I'm not sure it was ego as much as just a great lack of commitment. I guess you can tie it up to ego and that's probably the problem: Ego can have negative or positive repercussion.

If you are very talented and have a real passion for hockey, ego can probably help you.

If you are not so talented and/or have other priorities, you'll struggle with your ego problem throughout your career.

Obviously Brett Hull has always loved hockey, his father was a legend and seems to have inspired him enormously and on top of that, he has some of the best scoring hands of all-time. He also has one of the most underrated hockey sense, IMO.

Daigle is another story, doesn't seem to care about hockey as much. Thus his sense of self-importance tells him to commit elsewhere.

As a second addendum to answer your question, I don't know exactly how much scouts take ego into consideration but I strongly suspect they are much more weary of this then they were 15 years ago. There is much less place for creativity today. Even the Golden Brett had to make compromise and put his ego on the side somewhat, starting in Dallas. It is thanks to this IMO that he has remained fairly effective despite getting up there in age.

There is less room for individuality today. It's more about knowing where everybody else is on the ice and knowing where you have to be too. Collective work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad