Humble Pie Requirements for Brady Tkachuk's NHL Performance

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
This thread is a great reminder that it's not because you're very vocal and constantly spout your opinions all over the place that you know about hockey as much as you'd like to think.
completely reasonable humble pie requirements laid out in this thread, some people act like Tkachuk was being labeled as a bust from day 1.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Every time I see Boedker Iam angry as well,and I wasnt even Hoffy,s biggest fans..... But freaken Boedker!!!! TAKE THE DAMN PICKS YOU FOOL
But....but....he was painted in a corner and...something had to be done asap and he had to start looking ahead and the market wasn’t there for him and boo hoo hoo. Poor Dorion doing the best he can.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What a shame that trade didn't work out, because in all honestly Dorion did the right thing. He wanted a huge upgrade from Turris and he paid Turris and the 1st (plus small other pieces) in hopes that Duchene could lift us up to perennial contender. Everything was fine, Duchene was excellent here, but we floundered and everything went to hell. Again, what a shame. It really shouldn't have gone like that, but I think we as fans need to shake it off and get moving forward, because everytime I think of having Tkachuk and Hughes, I want to throw up.
Every time I see Boedker Iam angry as well,and I wasnt even Hoffy,s biggest fans..... But freaken Boedker!!!! TAKE THE DAMN PICKS YOU FOOL

Dorion has made some pretty Schizo moves; he seemed to have one foot in and one foot out... It seems to me he is unable to evaluate his roster properly against the league. There is risk with every trade but... Duchene trade risk was huge and the Hoffman for Boedker , if we believe that the rebuild/trade of Karlsson was on, made no sense.

Reactions: topshelf15

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

The funny thing is, we still ended up with the Florida 2nd round pick San Jose got for Hoffman.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If the poll was ... would you rather have a top 3 pick vs Tkachuk .. I could see the votes against Tkachuk.. but this is 18% at 1OA ... thats 82% chance of not getting 1OA vs a player that has shown he realistically can be a franchise winger/player that brings on hell of a lot of both tangibles and intangibles to the lineup. Not a big deal ... It is what it is.
Ahh. I assumed it meant 18.5% at 1st OA, but also included the consolation prize of 2,3 or 4 if they lost, which isn't all that insane to consider either.

If it had been guaranteed 1st OA, then it would have been even more lopsided. Wouldn't everyone trade Tkachuk for Hughes straight up?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Dorion has made some pretty Schizo moves; he seemed to have one foot in and one foot out... It seems to me he is unable to evaluate his roster properly against the league. There is risk with every trade but... Duchene trade risk was huge and the Hoffman for Boedker , if we believe that the rebuild/trade of Karlsson was on, made no sense.

Yeah, the Boedker trade ended up being horrific.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ahh. I assumed it meant 18.5% at 1st OA, but also included the consolation prize of 2,3 or 4 if they lost, which isn't all that insane to consider either.

If it had been guaranteed 1st OA, then it would have been even more lopsided. Wouldn't everyone trade Tkachuk for Hughes straight up?
Never thought I would ever have to hope for a team to get a 4OA from us at a draft lottery...But here we are

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
fwJBc0.jpg

I'm kinda surprised at these results

I'm not surprised at all Mr. Anarchy, the majority of people on here prefer the finesse players over a player like Tkachuk who works his ass off on every shift, so I would expect that they would vote for the #1 pick over Brady. I assume I am one of the few that thinks Tkachuk is every bit as good & could easily be a #1 pick & is exactly the kind of player Ott has needed for yrs. I would easily take the rough & tumble Tkachuk over a small soft finesse player like Hughes for example, while the vast majority here would probably take Hughes. Clearly they are completely different kind of players but who both can make players around them better, I assume that a player like Hughes will always put up more pts than Tkachuk but a player like Tkachuk is involved in every aspect of the game making all kinds of plays to create pts & prevent them in all kinds of entertaining ways.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm not surprised at all Mr. Anarchy, the majority of people on here prefer the finesse players over a player like Tkachuk who works his ass off on every shift, so I would expect that they would vote for the #1 pick over Brady. I assume I am one of the few that thinks Tkachuk is every bit as good & could easily be a #1 pick & is exactly the kind of player Ott has needed for yrs. I would easily take the rough & tumble Tkachuk over a small soft finesse player like Hughes for example, while the vast majority here would probably take Hughes. Clearly they are completely different kind of players but who both can make players around them better, I assume that a player like Hughes will always put up more pts than Tkachuk but a player like Tkachuk is involved in every aspect of the game making all kinds of plays to create pts & prevent them in all kinds of entertaining ways.
You do need both,and a high skill center is a very hard piece to get.....BT helps in the playoffs ,the latter gets you there

Reactions: NorthCoast

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Never thought I would ever have to hope for a team to get a 4OA from us at a draft lottery...But here we are
I'm fine with Col or LA winning the lottery & selecting Hughes that way he stays out west where we will rarely see him or hear about him rather than have an eastern team win him & we see him more often to remind this fan base. Then again, I'm one of the few that would select Tkachuk over Hughes if that was the choice & it sort of was for PD, at least a shot at winning the lottery. I think Tkachuk will be the better player over their careers, I guess we'll see soon enough.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm fine with Col or LA winning the lottery & selecting Hughes that way he stays out west where we will rarely see him or hear about him rather than have an eastern team win him & we see him more often to remind this fan base. Then again, I'm one of the few that would select Tkachuk over Hughes if that was the choice & it sort of was for PD, at least a shot at winning the lottery. I think Tkachuk will be the better player over their careers, I guess we'll see soon enough.
Hey you could be right ,but we should have never been put into this no win situation to begin with

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I wouldnt mind another physical forward to play with Brady,say a Getzlaf type .........Yeah that would be the tonic

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You do need both,and a high skill center is a very hard piece to get.....BT helps in the playoffs ,the latter gets you there
Agreed, but I'm of the opinion that we have a high skilled centre in Brown & to a lesser extent White & Norris. I understand they are not considered elite players on here but I just don't think Hughes will be that great, we'll see. I've been wrong a thousand times before, but regardless I prefer Tkachuk or Brown over Hughes. They also have a shot at Lavoie C in this yr's draft & possibly Byfield C in next yr's draft. Hell they could even trade Brannstrom to get into the lottery this yr, if they wanted too & someone was willing to make that deal for him. IMO they are slowly building a very good number of centres on this team & if they can add some very good wingers they should be better than fine with their forward group.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed, but I'm of the opinion that we have a high skilled centre in Brown & to a lesser extent White & Norris. I understand they are not considered elite players on here but I just don't think Hughes will be that great, we'll see. I've been wrong a thousand times before, but regardless I prefer Tkachuk or Brown over Hughes. They also have a shot at Lavoie C in this yr's draft & possibly Byfield C in next yr's draft. Hell they could even trade Brannstrom to get into the lottery this yr, if they wanted too & someone was willing to make that deal for him. IMO they are slowly building a very good number of centres on this team & if they can add some very good wingers they should be better than fine with their forward group.
Someone like Reaves would be a good investment for this team,tough can play a role and can help BT when he bites off more than he can chew

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Someone like Reaves would be a good investment for this team,tough can play a role and can help BT when he bites off more than he can chew
Don't you know by now people on here don't like those sort of players, there is no more fighting in hockey, you could get banned just for mentioning it.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Brady had a great year. His end of season goals, skating, and puck possession exceeded what most people would have predicted in an ideal outcome. The only knock I can think of regarding his year is he is essentially a young D+2 player with his birthdate. He could be considered a 19 year old playing against other 18 year olds in their first D+1 year.

Eh, when you consider that he not nearly the physical specimen he could be in a couple of years, I don’t really think that it is a huge factor. I would have to go back and see if he has had the same amount of years “developing” which I think he has. When you also consider College Hockey is absolutely not a development league, I think it’s still fair to compare him to his draft peers.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Don't you know by now people on here don't like those sort of players, there is no more fighting in hockey, you could get banned just for mentioning it.
Yeah watching Tom Wilson during the Caps first ever cup win says different,you need size and physicality,to go along with great skill to win...Players like Neil,Reaves ,Chara are and always will be in great demand

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Reaves is the exception not the rule though. Unfortunately there aren't too many "Chris Neil" types left in the league. Reaves is the last of a dying breed who can drop the gloves and still play a regular shift. Guys of that ilk will always be in demand, unfortunately most of the fighters left are just god awful hockey players. I'd still take Reaves on this team no questions asked, but that's different than looking at guys like Michael Haley or Ross Johnston.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

I'm on the same page as you and have stated from the beginning of the Tkachuk pick that this is a type of player that Ottawa has never had. Most of our fans don't appreciate or know what a powerforward can do. Tkachuk's effectiveness will only rise as the game shifts to a finesse style, he's going to completely have his way with teams when he fills out. I also think legit powerforwards are the rarest and hardest type of player to acquire, even harder to acquire than a #1 center.

He's an important piece to the rebuild, but we still need that skilled center to compliment Tkachuk. Hopefully we'll get that piece from the draft next year or from within like Brown stepping up. We have a decent core to work with at the moment, but another 2-3 years of superb drafting (or tanking) to round out the core will do us wonders to fill out those missing pieces.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Reaves is the exception not the rule though. Unfortunately there aren't too many "Chris Neil" types left in the league. Reaves is the last of a dying breed who can drop the gloves and still play a regular shift. Guys of that ilk will always be in demand, unfortunately most of the fighters left are just god awful hockey players. I'd still take Reaves on this team no questions asked, but that's different than looking at guys like Michael Haley or Ross Johnston.
Yeah the pure goon is rightfully dead,you do need to be able to play a regular shift and contribute...I miss Carkner,before his knees exploded...Tough as hell ,loved by the fans and his teammates...And could play some decent mins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->