Humankind (new 4x game from Amplitude)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anyone else keeping an eye on this game? Release is still 3 months away, Aug 17th, but they just finished up a free trial play period if you pre-order that I missed but I assume there will be more. Looks like a competitor to the Civilization series, from the studio that made Endless Legend.

From my understanding rather an Amplitude trying to mimic Civilization V/VI it's more like they're taking Endless Legend and re-skinning/re-vamping it to human history, with some interesting takes on progression.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone else keeping an eye on this game? Release is still 3 months away, Aug 17th, but they just finished up a free trial play period if you pre-order that I missed but I assume there will be more. Looks like a competitor to the Civilization series, from the studio that made Endless Legend.

From my understanding rather an Amplitude trying to mimic Civilization V/VI it's more like they're taking Endless Legend and re-skinning/re-vamping it to human history, with some interesting takes on progression.

I saw a tiny bit of the gameplay a few weeks ago and was immediately impressed by the graphics. It "looks" very much like Civilization. I have no thoughts on how the gameplay might be different than Civ, though, since I haven't played Endless Legend yet, but I've wanted to try it. I just haven't yet because I'm not as into fantasy. I'm much more keen on history, so this definitely has my interest.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I saw a tiny bit of the gameplay a few weeks ago and was immediately impressed by the graphics. It "looks" very much like Civilization. I have no thoughts on how the gameplay might be different than Civ, though, since I haven't played Endless Legend yet, but I've wanted to try it. I just haven't yet because I'm not as into fantasy. I'm much more keen on history, so this definitely has my interest.

I got about 75 hours into Endless Legend, which technically is actually sci-fi but has the look & feel of fantasy. Ideally I spend a lot more time with a 4x game and thought I would with this game, but ultimately while it had a lot of great ideas in theory they didn't always work out in a way or it was missing just enough to make it compelling to keep playing.

Having played EL though and watching some video there's a lot that looks familiar here, things like resource numbers and population placement, and a few changes that should make for massive improvements like what looks like a much improved city expansion options. Another subtle thing that should help is in EL all the resources/luxuries were so foreign that they didn't really mean anything but a number, having these replaces with 'copper' or 'incense' should play out much better.

And I really like here how they handled the Civilizations and progress here, where you start out as a blank slate, have to reach certain objectives to reach a new era at which point and for each era you get to claim a new history-relevant civilization. That should really shake things up compared to Civ.

One more thing that did really stand out for me in EL compared to other 4x games was the combat. Army units are stacked, and when they run into another army unit the stacks spread out on the existing map in a battle zone for turn based battled. It made for a nice balance between Civ I-IV's stacks vs Civ V-VI one unit per tile, where you get rewarding tactical combat but not in a way that lets you abuse the AI and always win even with an inferior force.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Another subtle thing that should help is in EL all the resources/luxuries were so foreign that they didn't really mean anything but a number, having these replaces with 'copper' or 'incense' should play out much better.

I can relate a little. I go way back to the original Civ and Master of Magic, the latter of which, if you didn't play it, was a fantasy skinned version of Civ. I liked it, but couldn't get into it as much as with Civ, since all of the resources, factions and so on were foreign. It never got a sequel, probably because it was too similar to Civ, yet foreign. Its sister game, Master of Orion, was also foreign, but did get several sequels, probably because the gameplay was quite a bit different than Civ. Anyways, I just find it kind of interesting that Civ was adapted into a fantasy game and, now, nearly 30 years later, an existing fantasy game (though not from Firaxis) is being adapted into a Civ-like, historical game.
One more thing that did really stand out for me in EL compared to other 4x games was the combat. Army units are stacked, and when they run into another army unit the stacks spread out on the existing map in a battle zone for turn based battled. It made for a nice balance between Civ I-IV's stacks vs Civ V-VI one unit per tile, where you get rewarding tactical combat but not in a way that lets you abuse the AI and always win even with an inferior force.

That sounds nice. That reminds me of another early 90s game, called Centurion: Defender of Rome, that I loved. It was like RISK, but with the addition of tactical battles. You'd move your army "stack" to a neighboring province and then get taken to a battlefield, where you'd see the size and make-up of it represented before playing a mini-game battle. For 30 years, I've kind of wanted to see something like that in a Civ-like game. Maybe I'll finally get the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad