Hulsizer interested in purchasing St Louis Blues?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Forbes has been kind of ridiculously inaccurate in their hockey reporting recently. Given that and the fact that Hulsizer's camp has publicly denied this report, I wouldn't put much credence in it.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Might just be a negotiating tactic but interesting still

It won't happen. Hulsizer would have to put up real money. He won't get the Blues for the paltry sum he's offering in Phoenix.

He may shop around for other teams, though, or attempt to become a minority investor somewhere.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
that is exactly I am wondering...mh has no money and now there are rumors that ice edge has left mh on his own....who knows what is exactly going on...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So how exactly does Hulsizer have his money anyway. I can't seem to recall....

Hedgefunder. Peak6 Investments which he runs with his wife, Jenny Just (whose family is also very wealthy) out of Chicago. Reputedly has a personal net worth somewhere between $300M & $650M+, though un-confirmed.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Blues, a team that's been around 40+ years, made it to the playoffs numerous times, and has been relatively consistent, may be a better "investment" than Phoenix.

(IIRC, you also get the arena -- lock, stock and barrel -- with a Blues purchase; no ownership/lease issues.)

Hulsizer may be willing to put more $$ into the transaction than he was for Phoenix.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So this guy is absolutely loaded, yet wanted taxpayers to foot the bill for his Coyotes deal? Just another case of the rich abusing the poor, becoming all too common today.

Glendale owes GWI a huge "THANK YOU!"

I do hope he buys the Blues, with his own money.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
supposedly worth only somewhere between 300 and 600 mill....mmmmm...doesnt sound like much when you are buying ateam for 110 mill with 35 mill losses a year....i am sure he is walking away from this deal unless he gets it for nothing...especially after colangelo had stated in the last couple of weeks that the yotes would never make a profit in glendale

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The NHL would give MH Phoenix before they let him walk away.

They're already trying to. $97 million to manage the arena, LOL! Good one, Glendale

I still believe the Coyotes are going no place, mainly because Buttman's personal interest in making it work as well as their willingness to break the law with shady dealings, buy more time with the city's money and spend millions of other people's dollars to force it to work.

Hulsizer is just looking for a clearance pricetag. I doubt he'll end up getting it. If he's smart, he'll buy the Blues.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if the league would approve this sale.

Talentless Practise*

I'm from Conneticut. Any chance a team is coming here?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

Well considering this thread is about the Blues...No, the Blues will not be moving any time soon. Good to a thread about a team that is having financial troubles and ask for their team.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2011/05/11/st-louis-blues-have-same-problem-as-new-york-mets/

But the real reason Checketts is on his way out, according to one person familiar with the ongoing sale process, is that no investor is willing to fork over $165 million, including the assumption of $120 million of debt tied to the Blues and the Scottstrade Center, and let Checketts keep calling the shots.

So, will Hulsizer jump at $285M for the team, arena, and debt, after only wanting to fork out $70M on the Coyotes?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2011/05/11/st-louis-blues-have-same-problem-as-new-york-mets/

But the real reason Checketts is on his way out, according to one person familiar with the ongoing sale process, is that no investor is willing to fork over $165 million, including the assumption of $120 million of debt tied to the Blues and the Scottstrade Center, and let Checketts keep calling the shots.

So, will Hulsizer jump at $285M for the team, arena, and debt, after only wanting to fork out $70M on the Coyotes?

The league only gets the 70 million if the city pays him up to 97 million over the first 5 years to run the place:laugh:.

NHL getting burned here, they've been running the arena for free.

Last edited:

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Im tired of correcting people about this like in every blues thread, but Checketts does not own the Scottrade Center nor is the the Scottrade Center for sale it is owned by the City, dont believe me? well then go to scottrade centers website and look it up

Scottrade Center is owned by the City of St. Louis and privately operated by Sports Capital Partners under a long-term lease agreement with the City of St. Louis.

The lease agreement is for sale, of course it pays a lot less money then the PHX deal, but the building itself is not for sale.

But I cant really get to mad at ppl on here for messing it up when professional journalist get it wrong in just about every article they right about the team.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

Honestly, I just don't see it. Not only because of population issues, but because the state is extremely well covered between the Bruins, Rangers and Islanders. Nowhere in the state is more than 90 minutes away from an NHL hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad