HF Habs: HuGo moves approval rates (Year II)

Do you approve the following moves/decisions - Select all what you agree with

• Allen extension

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Kovacevic claim

Votes: 133 92.4%
  • Harris extension

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • Dadonov/Gurianov trade

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Pezzetta extension

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Newhook trade

Votes: 120 83.3%
  • Edmundson trade

Votes: 121 84.0%
  • RHP extension

Votes: 124 86.1%
  • Draft Reinbacher

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Draft Fowler

Votes: 117 81.3%
  • Rest of 2023 draft picks

Votes: 60 41.7%
  • Newhook contract

Votes: 129 89.6%
  • Ylonen extension

Votes: 104 72.2%
  • Hoffman/Petry trade

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • Petry Detroit trade

Votes: 89 61.8%
  • Desmith/Pearson trade

Votes: 110 76.4%
  • Medical/training staff changes

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • Monahan extension

Votes: 135 93.8%
  • Caufield 8y contract

Votes: 83 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I mean, compared to BargainBin he’s been a breath of fresh air, where BarginBin felt like a bunch of hot air. I don’t think you can overstate just how bad of a cap situation Marc left the Habs in.

Hughes did pretty good at getting rid of the deadweight. Some of those contracts are so bad that all you can do is let them lapse. The roster moves and veteran support will start being acquired shortly I think. Most of the deadweight is gone or expiring.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I mean that’s a fact

I was being sarcastic. Unfortunately it seems some fans think the Habs should have turned the corner already or be close to the playoffs. It normally takes years for franchises to do that as @WeThreeKings showed. Same with draft picks, just because the Habs drafted high in a couple drafts doesn’t mean they are going to suddenly contend.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Allen extension is bad
Kovacevic is a 6th dman/7th dman pickup , nothing special
Harris is meh , we needed a body
Dadonov trade was nothing for nothing
Pezetta is ok got 13th forward money
NewHook trade is still 2early
Got rid of Edmundson was good
RHP was great
Reinbacher is a L when we could have had amazing forwards
Fowler is irrelevant for now like 2023 draft
Newhook extension is an ok bridge
Ylonen ok i guess
Hoffman petry is a meh
Desmith trade is a meh for a meh
Who knows about medical
Monahan is ok to flip at TDL
Caufield is great

Reactions: ReHabs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Rangers profited from players only wanting to go there.

Montreal has not had that luxury in recent memory.

Gorton also made the Zibanejad trade which is their 1st line center.
Kreider was the hold over from the previous build (Suzuki, for example).
God awful drafting from Gorton got them that goalie you are talking about, it also built out their defense with Schneider and Miller.

Adam Fox, Panarin and Trouba all forced their way to New York.

You may have thought Gorton was brought over to do a quick rebuild like that, but he wasn't. He was brought over because he oversaw that rebuild and was the one who was in charge when Boston built their core that ended up being their cup winning core. It was never about unrealistic timelines.
I just hope Gorton has nothing to do with drafting here. Some of his choices were brutal.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
1)
The cap was not an issue? You must be kidding right?... you are the most vocal hater on Hughes on this board but you cannot be that stupid right? Please tell me how the cap was not an issue when you have no cap space and under performing players everywhere! That is a huge issue and Hughes did more than amazing by trading away Toffoli/Petry/Dadonov/Hoffman/Chiarot/Lehkonen and making sure we had enough room to manoeuvre in getting Caufield signed longterm.

2) Which cap inefficiencies exactly? Using the remaining cap space for high picks? That is not inefficiencies but masterstroke. Getting a 1st for Monahan, a 2nd for Petry, a 2nd for Edmundson, a 3rd for Pearson and not giving away anything but getting rid of Hoffman bad contract.

3) How the f*** you want him to acquire to improve the roster while rebuilding the team and then have the audacity criticizing the acquisition of Dach/Newhook. You just constantly contradict yourself. Which players he missed out exactly trading for?

4) Selling Anderson. You make it sound like there is a market. Sorry but with your constant contradiction and ranting I cannot take anything you say seriously. Let's assume Hughes giveaway Anderson+1st to get rid of him (because there is no market for him) would you say, wow what a great move from Hughes? I doubt it. Finally, even if he did trade Anderson for something valuable I have zero doubt you would say he should have got more.

I have seen so many post from you and you provide nothing smart but constant contradiction and pure hatrance. I don't mind people expecting better and wanting better from the management but you provide no example to your points and just complaint 100% of the time.

Jeez, are you related to Bergevin or what?

1) Firesale =/= cap problems. The Habs had NO cap problems in the first TDL of Hughes, they had a ton of LTIR space and sold those players out of interest of a rebuild. This is a fact. You think it's amazing what the Habs picked up but it's increasingly obvious the Habs are further behind today than they were then and Hughes didn't even go far enough to ensure a proper tank. He half-assed it.

2) Pearson, Allen, and Petry's retention = 9.35m. Anyone complaining about cap space (which has never been an issue for the Hughes Habs) has to first criticise these acquisitions which add up to over 10% of the Cap.

Right now the Habs have 10.8m in cap space. We do not have cap trouble.

3) Dach and Newhook were not established NHL producers at the time of their trade, neither had hit even 40 points. That's a gamble on young players who were cut loose by their teams, some would say a good gamble, some would say a bad gamble. No one can say they were established NHL talents.

4) Holding onto Anderson means he isn't serious about rebuilding the team. Rushing Slafkovsky to the NHL means he isn't serious about a long-term, 'ordinary' rebuild. You can find ways to make it make sense to you, I'm sure.

Misc) I don't mind discussing points and hockey but leave the personal shots and rude comments aside. Otherwise I can ignore your posts and you can ignore mine. It's up to you.

I just hope Gorton has nothing to do with drafting here. Some of his choices were brutal.
The videos from both drafts are just PR junk but he's rather present in both short films.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Too many options and I'm not educated enough to vote on all options. Overall, I approve of their job thus far. Maybe I don't agree with every move, but I'm no expert and they absolutely have more expertise than myself.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Rangers profited from players only wanting to go there.

Montreal has not had that luxury in recent memory.

Gorton also made the Zibanejad trade which is their 1st line center.
Kreider was the hold over from the previous build (Suzuki, for example).
God awful drafting from Gorton got them that goalie you are talking about, it also built out their defense with Schneider and Miller.

Adam Fox, Panarin and Trouba all forced their way to New York.

You may have thought Gorton was brought over to do a quick rebuild like that, but he wasn't. He was brought over because he oversaw that rebuild and was the one who was in charge when Boston built their core that ended up being their cup winning core. It was never about unrealistic timelines.
Gorton was a run of the mill pro scout, when Gordie Clarke under Sather as GM drafted Kreider. Clarke now works as advisor for Habs

As for Bruins rebuild, Chara signed because he was close to Chia-pet w Sens and knew he was officially taking over July 15th in 2006. As for 2006 draft, that was the Timmins 2007 draft for Gorton.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I don't have any issues with any of the moves except for the Newhook trade. Think they've been good so far although I would've liked to have moved Allen and Anderson last year.

My real concern is in drafting. Even though it's too soon now, the drafting of a rebuilding team needs to be it's shining star. I'm far from convinced. Wake me up when we actually draft an elite 1C that I haven't seen in my lifetime in the CH.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
1) Firesale =/= cap problems. The Habs had NO cap problems in the first TDL of Hughes, they had a ton of LTIR space and sold those players out of interest of a rebuild. This is a fact. You think it's amazing what the Habs picked up but it's increasingly obvious the Habs are further behind today than they were then and Hughes didn't even go far enough to ensure a proper tank. He half-assed it.

2) Pearson, Allen, and Petry's retention = 9.35m. Anyone complaining about cap space (which has never been an issue for the Hughes Habs) has to first criticise these acquisitions which add up to over 10% of the Cap.

Right now the Habs have 10.8m in cap space. We do not have cap trouble.

3) Dach and Newhook were not established NHL producers at the time of their trade, neither had hit even 40 points. That's a gamble on young players who were cut loose by their teams, some would say a good gamble, some would say a bad gamble. No one can say they were established NHL talents.

4) Holding onto Anderson means he isn't serious about rebuilding the team. Rushing Slafkovsky to the NHL means he isn't serious about a long-term, 'ordinary' rebuild. You can find ways to make it make sense to you, I'm sure.

Misc) I don't mind discussing points and hockey but leave the personal shots and rude comments aside. Otherwise I can ignore your posts and you can ignore mine. It's up to you.

The videos from both drafts are just PR junk but he's rather present in both short films.
We have 10million on cap because of injuries and a roster that is bottom 5-10 in the league. BargainBin left the team and it’s cap structure in shambles. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Reactions: JoelWarlord

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't have any issues with any of the moves except for the Newhook trade. Think they've been good so far although I would've liked to have moved Allen and Anderson last year.

My real concern is in drafting. Even though it's too soon now, the drafting of a rebuilding team needs to be it's shining star. I'm far from convinced. Wake me up when we actually draft an elite 1C that I haven't seen in my lifetime in the CH.
This is the big one for me. The center depth still looks no better then it has in the past. I really liked the move to acquire Dach but if he can’t stay healthy, we’re going to be in just as much trouble down the middle as we have in the past. Of course we’re going to be among the worst teams in the league for at least 1-2 more years so maybe we end up finding that player still.

Reactions: Gravity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad