Hugh Jessiman

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's a slim chance.

Slim to none.

What a wasted pick in an extremely deep draft.

Do I still have SOME semblance of hope for him? Of course. But what kind of a fan would I be if I were to right him completely off yet? I highly dobut he amounts to anything more than a journeyman NHLer if he even reaches that.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
the 'big men take longer to develop argument' does hold wait, but there's taking longer to develop and then there's not being able to crack the AHL at the age of 22. I don't care how big you are, if you can't do the latter then your probably not NHL material, and certainly not 12th overall in the deepest draft of the last 15 years material.

Jessiman hasn't taken a step forward since his draft year, and at this point I'm not expecting him to take anymore.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Someone should have pointed out that he was playin' in friggin' Dartmouth. They aren't exactly in a great division, and he had one good year. That's what you get when you are so fascinated with a players' size.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Someone should have pointed out that he was playin' in friggin' Dartmouth. They aren't exactly in a great division, and he had one good year. That's what you get when you are so fascinated with a players' size.

Everybody's smart four years later. ;) At the time Jessiman was a pretty intriguing prospect, there's no denying it. What many of us fans are slow to realise, is that the draft is fifty percent scouting, fifty percent guessing.

It looks like New York guessed wrong in this case (given that there's a 4% chance still :)), but so did a lot of other people including me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
not looking good at this point, though I still believe he was used poorly in Hartford.

He's a guy who needs a ton of icetime to develop, because he still has a ton of developing to do, on the chance that he ever makes it. But after starting the year on a scoring line, and doing pretty decent at first, he got dumped to a lower line pretty quick and lost his icetime. Probably because Hartford started the year horribly and the coaches wanted to mix things up, but it hurt him.

A guy who needs a ton of development getting 10 minutes of icetime just isn't gonna cut it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd like to see the Blues make a play for him and reunite him with Stempniak. Kind of like Perrin and St. Louis.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It was a PR move, not a hockey move. He was born in NYC. Grew up a Ranger fan.

It was also a very poor pick — especially when you look at where the team was at the time.

In The Flesh

Apr 26, 2006
I still remember screaming "GETZLAF! GETZLAF! GETZLAF!" at the TV, only to hear Hugh Jessiman. :banghead:

Every time I see this topic on discussion I get more and more pissed off. If we had Getzlaf, that solves our 2nd line center problem, and we don't have another 1st round pick wasting away in the ECHL.

Danm, can you imagine this.

Prucha Getzlaf Shanny

THe guys shot is a rifle!

**** you Sather.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Every time I see this topic on discussion I get more and more pissed off. If we had Getzlaf, that solves our 2nd line center problem, and we don't have another 1st round pick wasting away in the ECHL.

Danm, can you imagine this.

Prucha Getzlaf Shanny

THe guys shot is a rifle!

**** you Sather.

I'm always amazed at what Sather was able to do in little 'ole Edmonton but has failed to do in the Big Apple.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He wasn't picked JUST because he's a Rangers fan...you guys are fooling yourselves if you truly believe that.

He was a projected first round pick anyways, the Rangers just took him earlier than most people thought he'd be picked.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He wasn't picked JUST because he's a Rangers fan...you guys are fooling yourselves if you truly believe that.

He was a projected first round pick anyways, the Rangers just took him earlier than most people thought he'd be picked.

I'm not implying that he was drafted just because he was a Ranger fan. But that certainly factored into the pick.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

The Brian Boyle - Hugh Jessiman comparison begins - both drafted from a very low level of competitive hockey and both teams were fascinated by their size. Boyle gets a pass so far b/c he decided to stay in school but next year we'll start to see whether the kings really reached for this guy on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->