OT: Huge trip planned to Vancouver - Need Advice!

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
You're missing out if you don't go for Japanese IMO. Either Ramen or Sushi.

If you do do Chinese you should go for Dim Sum, but I don't know any good places downtown.

Same with Thai. I've never been to a place in Vancouver that's had authentic Thai food. Most just have "westernized" peanut sauce dishes that are run by Chinese, like Thai House. I'm sure there's some hidden gem out there, maybe someone else knows.

But ya, the Japanese food in Vancouver is world class.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Hey guys!,

Here is a very different post from me that I usually do, because I need some help here.

I work a ton so I don't have a ton of time going downtown to Vancouver, and My girlfriend is flying from Texas to come see me on october 10th to the 13th, so I need some Advice on Locations to visit, Restaurants to visit, etc.

I happen to be going on my vacation with my wife(sans kids)in Vancouver the same time, so this was helpful to me.

1 - Where should I go with her? (Stanley Park, Aquarium is what I got so far)

2 - Which restaurants should I go too?

-Noturrno in gastown i just went to and rave about. 2 man show really small and food is amazing. Bartender/Server's name is "H" (said like the letter) and he is totally legit. Small intimate setting.

My wife loves Italian, and this is close to Rogers Arena(we are going to the Saturday game) so we are gonna go here. I'll hold you personally responsible if she decides shes too tired after the game...

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Are you bearded and ride a fixed gear bicycle by any chance?

I do have a fixie, but I've had it for over 20 years. Hardly a hipster though, I get Banana Republic emails.

I guess I could do what many do in these threads and just use yelp to talk about places they've never been.

To the OP, also try out The Union at Main and Union. This really sounds like a HUGE TRIP, or many would call it, the weekend.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
My wife loves Italian, and this is close to Rogers Arena(we are going to the Saturday game) so we are gonna go here. I'll hold you personally responsible if she decides shes too tired after the game...

Ask for Luigi is a good choice for pasta.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Sorry to sort of hijack this again but any of you who has expierence on one of the two hotels?

http://www.sandmanhotels.ca/hotels/vancouver-city-centre/

and

http://www.century-plaza.com/

Dont need anything fancy just a solid place to stay which doesnt break the bank. The price of the two above (for 12 nights) goes from ~$CAN 1025 (sandman) to $1210 (century)

Also looking at AirBnB as other have suggested previously but tendency right now is a "regular" hotel.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Sorry to sort of hijack this again but any of you who has expierence on one of the two hotels?

http://www.sandmanhotels.ca/hotels/vancouver-city-centre/

and

http://www.century-plaza.com/

Dont need anything fancy just a solid place to stay which doesnt break the bank. The price of the two above (for 12 nights) goes from ~$CAN 1025 (sandman) to $1210 (century)

Also looking at AirBnB as other have suggested previously but tendency right now is a "regular" hotel.

They are both really regular places but well located in the core-ish of the city.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I highly reccomend baan wasana . For Thai food. It's in the kerrisdale neighbourhood , about 10 minute drive from downtown. Best Thai food I've had in the city. Kerrisdale is also a nice little area. Quiet but with some small stores and shopping.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/180111/restaurant/Kerrisdale/Baan-Wasana-Thai-Vancouver

10 minutes at 2 am, on a Saturday it can take 10 to get to the Burrard Bridge.

And I don't think K'Dale is a spot for 2 young people spending a weekend together to go. Hey, 5 coffee shops, 5 shoe stores and a fromagerie. I will try the restaurant though. :)

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Looks like it is gonna rain this weekend so bicycling around the Seawall won't be too great. But the view from the restaurants at Grouse Mountain is pretty sweet even in the fog and wet. Another romantic spot is Harrison Hot Springs, but she's already done a ton of travel so perhaps not worth it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It seems like it's going to rain all weekend, Very frustrating.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Its Oct on the west coast always plan for rain, put on the proper cloths and u can still do anything outside with less people around

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Its Oct on the west coast always plan for rain, put on the proper cloths and u can still do anything outside with less people around

Sure, But it's still aggravating either way, considering how great the weather has been holding up for awhile now.

Oh well.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Sure, But it's still aggravating either way, considering how great the weather has been holding up for awhile now.

Oh well.

Wake up in the morning. Park near Main/20th. Bring an umbrella. Buy Quickstart muffins and coffee from Bean Around the world. Walk to MEC on Broadway. Eat muffins at little picnic table at rooftop parking (surprising view from there). Buy her a rain jacket at MEC since you'll want her to come up again and it WILL rain. Walk due North to sea wall. Show her Olympic Village area. Head west on sea wall, making way to Granville Island and enjoying view. Have lunch there. See the sights. If the drizzle is keeping people away, that's GOOD. You'll have it to yourselves (you asked for romance). When you're done, walk up to Kits beach, maybe tour 4th a bit. When you're hungry again, walk up to Thai House at 7th/ Burrard for dinner. It's pretty good. When you're done, hail a cab to get back to your car (or walk if you're not sick of walking). Go home for... none of my business.

Like someone else in this thread, I also endorse Seasons in the Park if you can lock down a take with a view. Really special place for showing off Vancouver.

Anyways, there's no accounting for taste. Do what you think is best and have fun. Long distance situations can be a drag. Don't burden yourself with over planning.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wake up in the morning. Park near Main/20th. Bring an umbrella. Buy Quickstart muffins and coffee from Bean Around the world. Walk to MEC on Broadway. Eat muffins at little picnic table at rooftop parking (surprising view from there). Buy her a rain jacket at MEC since you'll want her to come up again and it WILL rain. Walk due North to sea wall. Show her Olympic Village area. Head west on sea wall, making way to Granville Island and enjoying view. Have lunch there. See the sights. If the drizzle is keeping people away, that's GOOD. You'll have it to yourselves (you asked for romance). When you're done, walk up to Kits beach, maybe tour 4th a bit. When you're hungry again, walk up to Thai House at 7th/ Burrard for dinner. It's pretty good. When you're done, hail a cab to get back to your car (or walk if you're not sick of walking). Go home for... none of my business.

Like someone else in this thread, I also endorse Seasons in the Park if you can lock down a take with a view. Really special place for showing off Vancouver.

Anyways, there's no accounting for taste. Do what you think is best and have fun. Long distance situations can be a drag. Don't burden yourself with over planning.

best plan posted so far, ans I see it's nice today for yoU!!!

Only amendment I would make is take the sea bus to english bay from GI. I've lived here since 2006 and I still take it because it's fun. Trip is much nicer and longer all the way from scienceworld, but it's just nice to be out on the water IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->