Hudler vs Vanek

DangleDangleBeach

Oct 5, 2009
His hand-eye coordination is insane, or at least it was like you said. Not really sure if that's something you lose. If he's not on our 1st PP, I'd really like to hear Blashill explain why.

It's definitely possible to lose hand eye / for it to decrease. Even a mild concussion or hit to the head could knock someones blind spots out of whack and cause all kinds of weird stuff. Obviously they have top tier docs who should be aware of this and tend to it, but just merely stating the fact that it is indeed possible even if unlikely with the doctors the teams have.

DangleDangleBeach

Oct 5, 2009
Hudler is the smarter player but Vanek is the better player for us. Both are slow, incomplete, and have seen better days but Vanek is the bigger frame and the more opportunistic scorer.

...Wait...People know Vanek was once compared to Homer as a PP deflection artist, right? He may not be that today, but he still knows his way around the net better than a lot of secondhand guys.

I'm not sure Huds is the smarter player. May appear that way because of the lethargy you see out of Vanek, but he truly has the talent to be elite at least offensively if / when he feels like it. He's just the type to take shifts, nights, even weeks off... it's one of those "I'll play when I feel like it" sort of deals which is kind of sad to see with someone so highly talented.

I'm by no means a Vanek fan. I HOPE we get the Vanek from 5 years ago, but I won't holding my breath. Was worth the try by KH tho with someone with those kinds of offensive skills even if we probably will never see them lol.

Can we just like combine Vanek and Miller to make like one really good hockey player? Also helps us with the crunch upfront!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His hand-eye coordination is insane, or at least it was like you said. Not really sure if that's something you lose. If he's not on our 1st PP, I'd really like to hear Blashill explain why.

I think it is still good. Problem for Vanek in Minnesota is his most valuable role goes to Parise who does that and status with the club pretty much dictates that isn't going to be a competition.

Going from competing with Parise to Abdelkader/Sheahan for the role is pretty dramatically different.

As you said Blashill will need a big explanation if Vanek isn't our 1st PP net-front guy.... I won't get it at all unless Larkin has put on 15 lbs and wants to play there ala Toews.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I really hope Vanek gets the #1 PP net front role. But honestly I'm more concerned with who Blash is gonna put on the point for the #1 unit, Green is simply the best PP QB on the roster and they are paying him 6 mil a season. IMO he didn't get enough IT last year. After watching awood40's youtube channel of the red wings goals from this past season Green was easily our best dman, he initiated a lot of plays that resulted in goals even though he didn't get assists from a lot of it.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
vanek still has all the skills its just his motivation. if you watched the wilds outdoor game you can see he still has sick skills and can skate but he is a lazy sob and likes to cheat in the d zone. he stands at the blue line looking for a pass, hardly plays any d. lets hope torchetti makes the forward lineup, he will call out anyone and did a very good job of putting wild players in a good spot to succeed. hell he even called out suter even though suter is good friends with the owner and is the owners kids mentor. prolly cost him a chance at the head coach job

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Vanek is by far the better fit for the Wings. Hopefully he boots Abby off the PP or at least sticks him at Wing or something. I like Vanek & Sheahan/Mantha much better as net front guys. Abby isn't particularly good at blocking the goalie, he just doens't have the 6th sense.

Would love to see:

Tatar-Larkin- Vanek
Green- Smith/DD

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Sheahan/Mantha
Kronwall- Dekeyser/Smith

I don't think any of our forwards are good enough to put at the line. Maybe Tats but he is a mess defensively at the point.

** Hudler will put up more points this season in Dallas, but he is not a good fit for this Wings team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vanek is by far the better fit for the Wings. Hopefully he boots Abby off the PP or at least sticks him at Wing or something. I like Vanek & Sheahan/Mantha much better as net front guys. Abby isn't particularly good at blocking the goalie, he just doens't have the 6th sense.

Would love to see:

Tatar-Larkin- Vanek
Green- Smith/DD

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Sheahan/Mantha
Kronwall- Dekeyser/Smith

I don't think any of our forwards are good enough to put at the line. Maybe Tats but he is a mess defensively at the point.

** Hudler will put up more points this season in Dallas, but he is not a good fit for this Wings team.

Hudler will put more points on the table, but will have +3.00 GAA just like Seguin and his buddies.

That Stars team is still a mess defensively, and Hudler won't help anyhow on that area.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
GL with that, when was the last time we sold anyone at the deadline who did "lose" their spot on the team? I think its before 1990

If the Wings are in the playoff race there isn't a chance they trade him. If they're out of the picture they likely will. That's all it really comes down to.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Pointless questions since Hudler would be unlikely to sign for us for 2.0m x 1 year. Playing for a powerhouse offense in Dallas will boost his numbers and he'll get a nice contract next year.

Vanek is a good fit for what the Wings want in a scoring winger right now. Perhaps the closest replacement for Franzen they've been able to find.

Hudler is a good player but he wouldn't fit as well. Both contracts represent the type that are very difficult to criticize because they bring in skilled players on short term for little cash. I'd be happy with either.

Bigger, righthanded, shoot first, goalscorer. But There is no guarantee he will work out with us. Hudler will probably outproduce him.
We will see.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
In the grand scheme of things, I think Mantha could have been put in the role of Vanek - and thrived too - but if I would rather have Vanek's goals and size than Hudler playmaking and antics (I miss his happy demeanor, though :laugh: ).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Would have liked to have both Vanek and Mantha/AA on the team. Which we could have easily done.

Stupid Helm, every day that goes by I hate the contract even more. Nielsen, Vanek, maybe Miller - Done. That's what should've happened.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Vanek simply isn't what he used to be, Hudler is the better player right now.

Possibly. I honestly haven't seen a lot of Vanek lately.

Though with Calgary last season Hudler was getting 30 seconds more PP time per game than Vanek and played a minute more TOI per game overall. It'll be interesting to see how he's utilized on an offensively potent team like Dallas.

It might just be partly me being happy that Holland signed someone other than a former Red Wing for a farewell tour.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think we are in for major and early disappointment with Vanek. Thankfully its only one season. so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad