Hudler, Filppula and Brunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Flip's "talent" was always overrated.
I think what Flip had was excellent two way instincts and very good speed.
In the offensive zone, he was definitely more of a playmaker.
I don't think Flip will get over 50 points this year. But I think he provides Tampa with a center who you can put out there in every situation and count him.
He's playing with Purcell and Killorn. Not sure how good Killorn is. Purcell is pretty good.

Here's FLip's TOI
YEAR -- ESTOI PPTOI SHTOI TotalTOI
13-14 14:53 1:44 1:29 18:06 (3rd)
12-13 14:26 2:43 0:36 17:46 (4th)
11-12 14:52 2:27 0:54 18:15 (3rd)
10-11 14:01 2:01 0:39 16:43 ((4TH)
09-10 14:39 2:27 1:07 18:14 (3RD)
08-09 13:33 0:37 1:45 16:06 (6th)
07-08 13:54 1:49 1:13 16:57 (6th)

Flip's not being used in the offensive role he was in in 2011-12 -- so far

Killorn is a pretty good hockey player, Tampa has a lot of young talent. But Panik, Killorn and Palat really did beat out Drouin and Connolly in camp by most accounts, Brett Connolly really came much closer than Drouin to making the team. They are pretty good players, Killorn was very good at the tail end of his Harvard career, after graduating immediately joined Norfolk for their winning Calder run. He then had an extremely impressive rookie pro campaign last year at almost a point a game in the NHL and would up with 19 points in 38 games (7 goals and 12 assists) with the Lightning. A 6'2" 205 lbs two way winger with good offensive instincts.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Don't care about Flip and Hudler. I would have traded them at the deadline. Wings weren't contending with them on the roster. Just more bad roster management by Ken Holland.

I don't understand comments like this at all. Detroit was completely contending, especially in 11-12, at the deadline. They had the best record in the entire NHL for a while midseason. Hudler put up 25 points and was one of the key pieces to the team's offense. What message would it send to move him at the deadline? I mean, unless you are receiving a player of Hudler's quality back, you're basically trying to auction off your team's hopes of going anywhere in the playoffs.

Detroit has been in a position the last decade where they are looking to acquire talent at the deadline, not move out talent for picks or for prospects. If Hudler were to have been traded, it would have had to be early in the season / during the offseason to make sense... not at the deadline when he's proving to be a big contributor to the team's playoff hopes.

Filppula probably should have been traded as soon as it was known that Detroit probably wouldn't be re-signing him, but by the deadline, Detroit was in a position where they were again looking to acquire at the deadline, not dispose. I agree that the Filppula situation could have been handled better, and it's a completely different case than the Hudler one due to the fact that Detroit was in a playoff position easily in 2012, while in 2013 the team really struggled and didn't actually have much of a playoff position at the deadline... I would say that White was a much better trade candidate, because Filppula was still a top-6 forward and was in theory making the team better while he is on the ice than when he isn't. I don't think you trade Filppula away at the deadline unless you're acquiring someone else that can help your playoff push. Missing the playoffs really isn't an option for the Red Wings.

RedWingsNow*

Killorn is a pretty good hockey player, Tampa has a lot of young talent. But Panik, Killorn and Palat really did beat out Drouin and Connolly in camp by most accounts, Brett Connolly really came much closer than Drouin to making the team. They are pretty good players, Killorn was very good at the tail end of his Harvard career, after graduating immediately joined Norfolk for their winning Calder run. He then had an extremely impressive rookie pro campaign last year at almost a point a game in the NHL and would up with 19 points in 38 games (7 goals and 12 assists) with the Lightning. A 6'2" 205 lbs two way winger with good offensive instincts.

19 points in 38 games--not sure how impressive that is. It's not bad.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Brunner should have been brought back. It's inexcusable that the Wings went with Cleary.

Don't care about Flip and Hudler. I would have traded them at the deadline. Wings weren't contending with them on the roster. Just more bad roster management by Ken Holland.

Wings weren't contending period.

And OP is right. It's early.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If Flip continues to play well, I think he just tuned out Babcock and needed a change of scenery. We would have never seen a different Flip if he remained in Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
19 points in 38 games--not sure how impressive that is. It's not bad.

Um, that is basically what Tatar did stretched out.

He is 24, but it was his first pro year really and he produced at almost a point a game in the AHL and then did that in the NHL, I think it is a pretty good showing, he is also pretty impressive when you turn them on.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's sketchy information.
What I can tell you is that there weren't a lot of quotes saying "We definitely want to keep Damien and we definitely want to keep Flip."

It was very quiet.
This team was really public about wanting to keep Howard and he was signed.
It wasn't very public about wanting to keep Filp and Brunner. And they weren't.

Because without Howard you either have to make a trade for a good starting goaltender or you roll the dice in free agency and potentially come out with nothing. Not to mention Howard has been part of Detroit's long-term plans for a good chunk of time.

Brunner was a one-year forward who showed good signs but wanted to hold out on a good contract.

I don't think Holland needs to say "we really want to keep him" for there to be a legitimate offer on the table.

RedWingsNow*

Um, that is basically what Tatar did stretched out.

He is 24, but it was his first pro year really and he produced at almost a point a game in the AHL and then did that in the NHL, I think it is a pretty good showing, he is also pretty impressive when you turn them on.

Playing 17 minutes a night -- 2 minutes a night on the PP. Playing a lot of time with Martin St Louis.

Not the same as Tatar.

Not saying the guy is bad. I'm just not sure how offensively gifted this guy is.

RedWingsNow*

Two more goals for Flip.
So 3 goals plus a shootout winner so far.

RedWingsNow*

Don't think he would've produced well here. He needed a change of scenery and most importantly a new coach.

Does it even matter?
Is our replacement for Flip doing as well as Flip is this year?
Is our replacement for Flip doing as well as Flip most years?
It's WAY early. But he's got 1 goal and no assists in 4 games.

Here are the major UFA centers from this off season
All have played 4 games now
Player ---- G-A-P-+/_
Weiss -----1 0 1 -1
Lecavalier 1 2 3 -1
Filppula ---3 1 4 +3
Grabovski 3 2 5 0

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This seems kinda typical to me though, Flip racking up points in a blowout. He very rarely came out and played huge in a big game. The only game that immediately comes to mind is game 7 against the Ducks last year. Not saying he is a bad player, I think he is a fine complimentary guy, but he won't ever lead the charge.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah -- Flip has contributed pretty signficantly so far.
He's got a point in every game but one -- and in that game he had the shootout winner

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Lol. Filppula has more points than any player on the Wings.

I'm talking about Filppula versus Hudler and Brunner.

After tonight, Filppula - the $5M man - has pulled even with Brunner and is trailing Hudler. Despite the fact that Filppula was considered a breadwinner in Babcock's eyes while Hudler and Brunner were essentially the fat off the cow's behind.

In any sense, none were given a fair shake and - not surprisingly - are all flourishing outside of the Wings system. Why? I don't know. Maybe because the coaches they play for actually understand the value of playing to a person's strengths instead of trying to mold them into indistinguishable minions of a one-track minded team?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just wanted to chime in and say we're loving Flip in Tampa. He provides an excellent two-way game for us and is amazing with the puck. He had two pretty goals last night (his backhand goal was just filthy), but he also set up Stammer for an open net with a wonderful hustle play that he whiffed on. He's been great on the dot and has given our team a TON of flexibility with match-ups.

RE: Killorn. The kid is just a smart hockey player. Plays a simple, hard-working north-south game, shoots from everywhere on the ice, and is very patient with the puck. Check out his set-up of Ondrej Palat's goal this game or the game-winner from the Buffalo game. The kid has skill. Anyway, looking forward to having you guys in our division!

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Not sure how someone can make the case Flip wasn't given a fair shake. Seems to me we given every opportunity in various roles.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Just wanted to chime in and say we're loving Flip in Tampa. He provides an excellent two-way game for us and is amazing with the puck. He had two pretty goals last night (his backhand goal was just filthy), but he also set up Stammer for an open net with a wonderful hustle play that he whiffed on. He's been great on the dot and has given our team a TON of flexibility with match-ups.

RE: Killorn. The kid is just a smart hockey player. Plays a simple, hard-working north-south game, shoots from everywhere on the ice, and is very patient with the puck. Check out his set-up of Ondrej Palat's goal this game or the game-winner from the Buffalo game. The kid has skill. Anyway, looking forward to having you guys in our division!

Wish him well, he had a lot of flashes of brilliance here too. Sometimes players need a change of scenery to bring out their best game. Have nothing bad to say about him

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm talking about Filppula versus Hudler and Brunner.

After tonight, Filppula - the $5M man - has pulled even with Brunner and is trailing Hudler. Despite the fact that Filppula was considered a breadwinner in Babcock's eyes while Hudler and Brunner were essentially the fat off the cow's behind.

In any sense, none were given a fair shake and - not surprisingly - are all flourishing outside of the Wings system. Why? I don't know. Maybe because the coaches they play for actually understand the value of playing to a person's strengths instead of trying to mold them into indistinguishable minions of a one-track minded team?

How do you figure? Especially in Hudler's case.

It's funny how all of a sudden after 5 games (ignoring his typical Hudler season prior) Hudler is some great talent that Detroit misused.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How do you figure? Especially in Hudler's case.

It's funny how all of a sudden after 5 games (ignoring his typical Hudler season prior) Hudler is some great talent that Detroit misused.

I think Babcock did misuse Hudler to a certain extent. Dont' think that was the case for Brunner or Filppula though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad